Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Gear at Matches

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I am seeing a substantial number of shooters at USPSA and "style" matches with what I think of as tactical rigs, bulky holsters and belts, usually camo colors, with tiedowns, dump pouches, and tourniquets.

Nobody I am well acquainted enough with to quiz, so what am I seeing? Is this stuff GI or wannabe?
    We've got a lot of folks like that here locally... A lot of them are newer, some come from Patriot Games or Tactical Games, etc.

I don't mind people with IFAK's or Safariland Retention rigs... You do yours, I'll do mine.

I'm slowly converting a bunch of them to shoot AIWB.

Site Supporter
    I run my duty rig and plate carrier in a lot of local matches. The same stuff I wear on warrant service. I encourage other officers to do the same, because you can find deficiencies in your setup under timer stress. Then fix it. I also have full on competition rigs that I wear to other matches when I want to be extra competitive.

Site Supporter
    That makes a good deal of sense. Practice with practical and practice with fun gear.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    We've got a lot of folks like that here locally... A lot of them are newer, some come from Patriot Games or Tactical Games, etc.

I don't mind people with IFAK's or Safariland Retention rigs... You do yours, I'll do mine.

I'm slowly converting a bunch of them to shoot AIWB.
    You shoot USPSA from concealment?
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I shoot USPSA with my carry set-up, only thing different is the footwear, the eye pro, and the ear pro. I used to shoot it with my warbelt, retention holster and everything, but that turned out to be illegal due the Masterfire dropping the butt of my gun too low compared to the belt (it has a negative cant due to the need to rock the gun forward to clear the laser module at the bottom of the X400UH), so that's my Steel Challenge setup now (concealment being verboten in SC).

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I shoot USPSA with my carry set-up, only thing different is the footwear, the eye pro, and the ear pro. I used to shoot it with my warbelt, retention holster and everything, but that turned out to be illegal due the Masterfire dropping the butt of my gun too low compared to the belt (it has a negative cant due to the need to rock the gun forward to clear the laser module at the bottom of the X400UH), so that's my Steel Challenge setup now (concealment being verboten in SC).
    I need to try that. My local club actually has a concealed carry match they run that makes more sense for it, but it'd be cool to try in USPSA too.

I don't care what someone wears as long as its safe.

Sure, I thought it was odd the first time I squaded with a guy shooting out of tac gear, but he placed way higher than I did, so who am I to judge.

Hell, I'm sure some people look at me, and think I'm the dorkiest dude there. I look like a human highlighter, in my neon yellow shirt and cap, which I started wearing after seeing the video of someone who starts shooting a stage with a guy still down range pasting.

Add to that my belt keepers are simply strips of white self-gripping velcro, my holster is an old kydex holster I jury rigged to fit on a Boss hanger, my mags are Magpul 21 rounders, weighted with lead tape, and I have trail running shoes that are ugly as sin because I like the shoes, and hate the colors, but they were stupid cheap on sale (probably because they look so bad).

When I make A class I'll treat myself to some nicer gear, but I'll still be wearing the dorky shirt, hat, and shoes.

So, far be it from me to mock a guy shooting from a tac rig, even if he is a "LARPing wannabe."

Show up in a pink tutu for all I care as long as you are being safe.

I shot a sprinter match today. I used a Hillpeople Gear Prairie Belt so I could use by CORE/ACRO. I also wore an old Eagle Industries chest rig. If I’d been able to put more mags on the belt, I could’ve skipped the chest rig.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I’ve shot a bunch of matches from concealment (AIWB). Used to have to shoot Open class to do so until they changed the rules. the last Ft Benning 3 Gun match I shot I ran my P07 concealed from AIWB for the match. Had several ROs ask me where my pistol was when I walked up to shoot.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List