Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Defensive Folding Knives Under 2.5"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    pf.com is expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Try the 1911 threads or the wristwatch thread.

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    I bought 3 1911's last year.
    Just bought a set of elk grips for a 1911.

I don’t own a 1911. Yet.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    If I had to go small, I'd be tempted to try a Dragonfly 2 Salt. Might be a slow one to deploy, though.

I live in a 3" or under jurisdiction, and I have been thinking very hard about putting a 5x5 "Pickpocket" on my Delica Wharncliffe SE. I don't open up a Spydie as quick and fumble-free as I used to.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    If I had to go small, I'd be tempted to try a Dragonfly 2 Salt. Might be a slow one to deploy, though.

I live in a 3" or under jurisdiction, and I have been thinking very hard about putting a 5x5 "Pickpocket" on my Delica Wharncliffe SE. I don't open up a Spydie as quick and fumble-free as I used to.
    Ziptie mode and mounting and opening it up a delica Pi’kal style works very well, too. I prefer bigger zip tie heads that have sharp rather than rounded corners to give a little more bite.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Ziptie mode and mounting and opening it up a delica Pi’kal style works very well, too. I prefer bigger zip tie heads that have sharp rather than rounded corners to give a little more bite.
    I believe I have a new project for the weekend. Thanks!
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I'm kinda fond of the CRKT Pilar series.

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--CRKT-Pilar--3163

The first product on that page is my EDC pocket knife.

The second one I use clipped into the waistband of my swim trunks when I go to the beach.

You will need to find one of the 2.4" versions. The stainless handle is a little slippery...a version with the G10 or micarta handles would probably handle better.

Instead of clipping whatever you come up with inside your waistband, you might consider clipping it to an RCS Pocket Shield in your pocket.

https://rcsgear.com/pocket-shield-4
    I too am carrying the Large Pilar with D2 blade and G10 handle as an EDC most days. I also carry a Pilar III with D2 blade. These are also available with a nice Sandvik steel blade for about $20 more, though I'm not a fan of the aggressive texture on the G10 scale.
    The Large Pilar needs a little breaking in and adjustment (torx bits are your friends) but sets up well. The thick blade cuts very nicely.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

@RevolverRob
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I too am carrying the Large Pilar with D2 blade and G10 handle as an EDC most days. I also carry a Pilar III with D2 blade. These are also available with a nice Sandvik steel blade for about $20 more, though I'm not a fan of the aggressive texture on the G10 scale.
    The Large Pilar needs a little breaking in and adjustment (torx bits are your friends) but sets up well. The thick blade cuts very nicely.
    I've mentioned before that I came up when 440C was considered decent, and 154CM was some kind of Elven magic, so the differences between the steels used now is a little over my head, but I've grown fond of the D2 blade and stonewashed finish. I find that I don't really worry about the finish or corrosion. The sheepsfoot blade makes for an efficient utility blade that doe's look "tacticool".

The smaller all stainless version, after spending half the day in salt water, gets rinsed under the tap and a few drops of Slip 2000 and is good to go.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I believe I have a new project for the weekend. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    The ziptie solution Rocks hard with a SOS:

http://instagram.com/p/ClrT0xDvjYq/

But also the pickpocket and Wiseman Fang works. @Flamingo

I’ve got two of the fully-serrated Salt Dragonfly’s and really like them for what they are. Work well in boardshorts, suit coat pockets, clipped IWB behind a belt buckle, etc.

They indeed aren’t the quickest for manipulation but they can go just about anywhere and those Spyderco serrations are mean.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    I have a couple of Dragonflies with the Emerson opener. Spyderco’s version of the wave is the most reliable and gentlest on clothing of ANY knife offered with this feature (this applies to the waved Delicas and Enduras as well). However, the handle length of the Dragonfly is bare minimum for a decent level of confidence for any serious use. It is certainly worth considering if absolute minimum blade length is required and you need a knife now. I carry my Dodos instead despite the lack of a wave whenever I need < 2.5 inch.

User Tag List