Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ronin Sakura blade?

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    Knife Center has them on sale now.

CRTK Obake

I have a CP, I don't NEED any more fixed blade EDCs. But it's so shiny!
    I've seen a family of 4 spend more than that on a morning latte order. That's about as guilt-free as those surefire sidekicks for 19 bucks. If you're looking for permission, I'll give you permission to buy 4 Obakes. Glad I could be of help.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    Knife Center has them on sale now.

CRTK Obake
    I caved. Got a couple on the way.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Another thing w/ the knife holes, prob not easy to thread finger thru in an ambush or FUT.
    Obake handle was way to thin for me.

obake design makes me worried about sliding onto the blade when it has blood on it. Just sayin..

I know people on P-F generally hate the Colonel Blade but give it a look. The ring is made oversized and "ovalish" shape so harming your finger is much less likely.

Originally I wrote off the knife as being a gimmick but quite a few spec ops and other military guys around here have ditched their socp dagger in favor of the colonel blade for off duty carry.

Another one I like, and is really inexpensive, is the SOG Instinct.

Site Supporter
    Those with an Obake, how are you carrying it?
    Last edited by Blades; 12-17-2018 at 08:21 PM.
    --Jason--

This really shouldn't be a Tu Lam thread.

Just sayin'…

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    This really shouldn't be a Tu Lam thread.

Just sayin'…
    Agreed, so let's move it on.

What size envelope are you looking for? Carry method (pocket shield, IWB, horizontal on belt, etc.)?

For on the belt, I go Clinch Pick. For IWB a Spyderco Reverse (no longer made, but the Ronin 2 is a similar size envelope). And for the pocket...well I haven't made up my mind. Right now, my pocket shield has a clinch pick on it, but I don't like the draw stroke, the CP doesn't have enough handle for me and the egg shape prints more than a flatter knife would.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Those with an Obake, how are you carrying it?
    I usually stick it under my left front belt loop blade down and handle center, and use the lanyard to attach it.
    The looped laynard goes in the top eyelet (with the knot inside), over the bottom of the belt loop into the second eyelet, then under the sheath and over the top of the belt loop, under the sheath, and under the knot. I pull it all tight, then out through the long loop, and secure with one of those spring tight thingys (removed from a jacket drawstring).
    Holds pretty good, with or without a belt, and super easy & quick to draw with either hand.

One thing about my Obake is the sheath was a bit loose. I took a bit of red shrink tube (the rubbery kind), and put a 1/4" ring around the front, where the retention ridges are.
    Holds a whole lot better now.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    What size envelope are you looking for? Carry method (pocket shield, IWB, horizontal on belt, etc.)?
    I currently carry horizontal on belt. It's fine but would consider IWB (appendix weak side) or pocket w / lanyard. I don't get on with the pocket shield, haven't used mine in months.

The CP is obviously a serious option but aesthetics (I know) keep me from the China Pick options, and the BT DE versions (my preference) are just super pricy. I do like your NOK trainer recommendation though, and the SE CP option presented above might be the way to go.

I still think that right at $200, the Spartan SOCP w / trainer option looks promising. Maybe picking up the NOK CP and Spartan trainer and playing around with them in a competitive training environment is the way to go.

User Tag List