Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PF Hurricane Thread 2022

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m a little concerned - my best friend lives two blocks from the shore of Tampa Bay in Gulfport, and works almost on the beach on Anna Maria Island with one of those jobs that she must be there (USPS.) Plus she’s having surgery Tuesday.
    Surgery was cancelled, her PO closed. She’s evacing to her NC cabin.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

well the trend on these tracks has this thing coming further and further south. We have refugees that came over to our house from St Pete to our place in Jupiter but if this thing keeps turning this way we'll all be getting some excitement.

Big decision right now is whether we go get MIL from in town, with her little dog and ours that's staying with her, and what our house is gonna look like for the next 2-3 days with her, the small dogs, the houseguests, their two big dogs, our kids...

I better stop on the way home and pick up more rum.

I imagine i'm also going to want to spend the evening cleaning up the workshop to make room for (at a minimum) our campervan and possibly other various yard detritus like sofas and the like depending on what the AM looks like.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Pro tip… clumping cat litter, stuffed into socks, make an effective sand bag. In case of emergency.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I've never lived through a hurricane in FL, but my wife weathered Andrew with her family in southern Miami. The only reason they lived is they abandoned their house after the windows got sucked out - about an hour later a tornado smashed a good chunk of it flat.

On the question of how much gasoline to stock - get all you can. After Sandy in NY, we had WEEKS of gas lines. Drinking water is the other thing you can never have enough of. Post Andrew the tap water was non-potable for weeks and weeks due to contamination.

Praying hard for all you guys in the track of this one. Stay safe and let us know if there's anything we "inlanders" can do...
    I once knew a woman who was on a Red Cross disaster relief team. Tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, she would go and help out. She had a job that was very supportive of her volunteering efforts. They may have even given her partial pay during her absences. Anyway, she went down to Florida for the recovery from Hurricane Andrew. I believe she spent nearly a month down there. When she came back, she quit the Red Cross. She later told me that if she had had a gun at a time, she probably would’ve killed people. And that’s about all that she would say about it. I gathered that things got pretty gnarly.

So be careful, people. Sometimes, disasters can bring out the worst there is.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

One tip: make sure that the diverters for the downspouts are in place. That may be less important if your house is on a slab than if there is a basement.

If you have a sump pump and a generator, make sure that the sump pump is on the generator’s circuit.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 09-27-2022 at 07:49 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    One tip: make sure that the diverters for the downspouts are in place. That may be less important if your house is on a slab than if there is a basement.

If you have a sump pump and a generator, make sure that the sump pump is on the generator’s circuit.
    *the more you know* In general Florida homes don’t really have basements. Offered up in a joking manner for our Yankee friends.

https://www.rjbuildersflorida.com/bl...-up-north.html

Florida has a large aquifer system that spans around 100,000 square miles and provides water for many large cities. The groundwater's very close to the surface in most parts of Florida and Southern Georgia. Because of the high water table and proximity to the ocean, it is impossible to dig out for a basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    *the more you know* In general Florida homes don’t really have basements. Offered up in a joking manner for our Yankee friends.

https://www.rjbuildersflorida.com/bl...-up-north.html
    Ah. That’ll go into my brain-trivia files.

So, if the air become uraneous…?

Had a call with a software vendor today. They asked how we were doing. I told them “I’m a damn near 48-year-old Florida native, this hasn’t even registered on my radar“.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

A previous hurricane season, I saw a post about a Floridian who built for strength, not style.
    A steel structure on pilings, like old coastal houses only moreso. Close the steel shutters and sit it out as long as food, water and generator fuel lasted.

Acquaintance made it from Tampa to St Leo inland with Aunt and Uncle.
    Accompanied
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 09-27-2022 at 09:10 PM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Wind is picking up and rain bands are rolling through now. Spicy night and day ahead of us.

User Tag List