Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: My experience with COVID like symptom

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I can't carry the ball here by myself.
    Atlas, poor blues! I knew him, Whoratio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Fear not; looks like everyone at P-F will have to put up with my jejune grabassery for a while longer, still.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I want to weigh in on this thread, now that I have more perspective. @GJM first off, glad you and the Mrs are felling better.

On Sun the 15th (Mar), I started noticing a mild sore throat—almost like a tickle. My wife noted that she had the same thing going on. By Monday evening, we were both feeling "punky," to use my wife’s words. (Like you, G, my wife and I known for doing *everything* together, up to and including team-teaching courses at the local universities). Given the national situation and zeitgeist, I made notes on the door calendar in our office and pressed on. By Wed/Thurs, were really were not feeling all that great; nothing I can point to specifically, but just overall fatigued, spacey, and not well. Out of caution, we are pumping the supplements, laying low outside of online teaching prep, and going to bed crazy early, and sleeping late, mostly unbroken. As an example, Wed night (18th) I went out to the garage with a Henry and an FO front sight that I’ve had on the to-do list forever. All my tools were GTG, so set up consisted of a safety check, and laying an old bath towel down. By the time I had tapped the old marbles out of the dovetail, and tapped the FO in, I was beyond wiped out, as in: do not pass go, do not collect 200 rounds of .22mag, go *directly* to bed. I felt bad enough that I was thinking that it was the onset of every other Covid article that’s been posted here over the last 2 months. I didn’t even have the energy to take my own temp, I just piled into bed, around 9pm, curled up in a ball, and hoped that I’d not need a vent in two days.

Next morn, both my wife and I started stirring at 10am. I’m talking unbroken sleep. I also felt fine, no fever, etc.

A much less severe version of this scenario played out each evening through the 26th or 27th. It may not be an exaggeration to say that both my wife and I have slept more in the last 2 weeks than we might sleep in a month during school. As many as 10 hours unbroken. Feeling fine in the am, and starting to feel pretty wiped by 6 or 7pm. Routine tasks are uncommonly fatiguing. At NO point did either of us have a fever. Get this: my wife—who is absolutely, certifiably healthy as a horse—has been dealing with a severe, fluke neurological disorder (that’s how we know she has otherwise flawless health; the battery of tests has been extensive, including MRIs, spinal, and an exhaustive bloodwork lab at Mayo). The neuro guy in town is almost impossible to get in to see, and when she called before a follow up to tell them that we both were fighting something off, they asked about the party-line symptoms (cough, fever, difficulty breathing) none of which we had, and told us to absolutely come in. We both passed the temperature screening at the front door with flying colors, and each got a little sticker on our sleeves allowing us into the office. Like a college kegger, or something.

On Sunday the 22nd, I started noticing mild shortness of breath. Disconcerting, but not at all severe. There was one night last week where I woke up around 2am, feeling like I just wasn’t getting full breaths. I sat in the front setting window for an hour, with some herbal tea and eerie silence outside, and did some zen breathing (.mil folks might call it "box breathing"), and eventually felt chill enough to go back to bed and sleep the sleep of the dead until 10-10:30. The days between Tues the 24th and Fri the 27th were the most epic fatigue/sleep days, but at no point did either of us ever break a fever, have GI trouble, start coughing, or have more than one watchlist symptom. My one symptom was the several days of feeling very mild shortness of breath—which my wife never got, and her one symptom was some mild nausea—which I never got. We ate whatever we wanted throughout.

Yesterday, I woke up feeling more or less normal, and didn’t peter out until after 10pm. Normal sleep (8.5 hours, maybe) last night was 8 hours, and I woke up stressing about work shit at 7:45 on the dot, pretty typical for my musician teaching schedule. As I type right now, I also feel—more or less—normal, like I just got over "something" during the weekend, only it lasted a lot longer. Of course, my wife is more active right now than she’s been all month. I know she’s GTG, because she’s done a pile of back laundry and is puttering about with typical enthusiasm.

One last data point; I’m about to turn 52, and my "fighting weight" is 164-166. No health issues besides marginal knees and bad eyes. I’ve got the cardio of a 28-year old, the humor of an 18-year old, and the retinas of an 88-year old.

When I got on the scale 2 days ago, I weighed 156.6. I’m pretty sure I haven’t weighed anything close to that since freshman year in HS. Wow.

Both my wife and I are (typically) 3-5 day a week gym people (weights/boxing) during summer and holiday break, and 2-3 day gym people during school (not optimal, but time constraints will be what they will be). We eat crazy healthy, non smoker... she doesn’t even drink (I hold that fort down for both of us).

In all, our experience seems to mirror yours, only stretched over a roughly 2x time frame.

The most disconcerting thing is being cleared by a doc office to come in for an appt, and do "essential’ things (get mail, bank checks, pick up groceries), with a heightened sense of hindsight that we now have. That can’t be good. I’ve also been in the LGS before the shortness of breath—my only posterboy symptom—came on. Of course, that place has been a madhouse; if I exposed them, it likely wasn’t the first or only.

Oh, and the #1 suspect is my wife’s 3xWeekly PT appointments in the main hospital complex, at the busiest PT center. They didn’t shut that down until after the 20th March. I suppose #2 could be the UPS store box where we get all our mail. Beyond that, there really isn’t any front runner for us picking this up.

At any rate, FWIW. My ID friend/former student/path center director told me that, of the 712 people on that seminal diamond cruise ship that tested positive for COVID-19, 344 of those positives were asymptomatic. That’s a ratio worth keeping in mind when it comes to estimating this thing. JMO.

@Nephrology, same ID doc tells me yesterday that the antibody test is absolutely coming, but it’s going to be a while before GJM or I, or our wives can take it. At this point, we don’t positively know what’s been eating at Mr & Mrs Gilbert Grapes, but we can make a reasonable guess.

And that’s the hand that’s been dealt to chez sidheshooter, as of Sun, 29 March.
    I am not qualified to diagnose myself, no less others, but here are my thoughts. When one person has unexplained symptoms, it is hard to know. But when both of a couple have similar unexplained symptoms, I am inclined to suspect an external source.

Good luck and best wishes for a complete and early recovery from whatever you have!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am not qualified to diagnose myself, no less others, but here are my thoughts. When one person has unexplained symptoms, it is hard to know. But when both of a couple have similar unexplained symptoms, I am inclined to suspect an external source.

Good luck and best wishes for a complete and early recovery from whatever you have!
    Concur; and right back at you!

We should pinky swear to let each other know if one of us dies from this unexpectedly.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    At any rate, FWIW. My ID friend/former student/path center director told me that, of the 712 people on that seminal diamond cruise ship that tested positive for COVID-19, 344 of those positives were asymptomatic. That’s a ratio worth keeping in mind when it comes to estimating this thing. JMO.

@Nephrology, same ID doc tells me yesterday that the antibody test is absolutely coming, but it’s going to be a while before GJM or I, or our wives can take it. At this point, we don’t positively know what’s been eating at Mr & Mrs Gilbert Grapes, but we can make a reasonable guess.

And that’s the hand that’s been dealt to chez sidheshooter, as of Sun, 29 March.
    Yeah, the serology test will take a little bit, but I think we can expect one sooner than later. I would guess by September on the late side.

I woke up this morning feeling awesome. Back to abs and pushups, then just now did a great 40 minute hike in the desert. Aerobic back to normal.

Coming in from the desert, about ten yards from back onto pavement, Astro was leading, then Charlie, then me. All of the sudden my wife screamed and started back pedaling. I grabbed her and at the same time heard rattling. I looked ahead and there was a large rattler coiled, head up and moving, obviously pissed off. I tried to throw the one large rock nearby at it, and missed, which seemed to piss it off even more. I moved eight feet right to get the backstop clear, pulled my P2000 and fired. First shot was unclear as to whether it hit, fired a second shot and popped it through the head, ending the encounter. It was a Western Diamondback. Our dog had gone through ahead of us and obviously both avoided it and got it riled up. That may have kept my wife from walking onto it.

I woke up this morning feeling awesome. Back to abs and pushups, then just now did a great 40 minute hike in the desert. Aerobic back to normal.

Coming in from the desert, about ten yards from back onto pavement, Astro was leading, then Charlie, then me. All of the sudden my wife screamed and started back pedaling. I grabbed her and at the same time heard rattling. I looked ahead and there was a large rattler coiled, head up and moving, obviously pissed off. I tried to throw the one large rock nearby at it, and missed, which seemed to piss it off even more. I moved eight feet right to get the backstop clear, pulled my P2000 and fired. First shot was unclear as to whether it hit, fired a second shot and popped it through the head, ending the encounter. It was a Western Diamondback. Our dog had gone through ahead of us and obviously both avoided it and got it riled up. That may have kept my wife from walking onto it.
    P2000? What's up with that?

Nice shot btw.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Nice shooting.

Man, never a dull day in your little family!

I went for a 45 minute walk this morning and the most interesting encounter I had was when I passed a man walking the opposite way and he swerved a good ten YARDS to the side to avoid being in close proximity to me. Not certain if it was the coronavirus concern, or just my personality. Either way, it worked for me!

I hope this doesn't seem like a condescending comment, and I'm glad people are feeling better. But beware assuming that these symptoms were COVID. Right now, my wife and I are recovering from symptoms very similar to those described that appear to have been bacterial (negative COVID tests, response to antibiotics) even though we both had assumed it was the coronavirus given our lifestyles.

There's still plenty of not-pandemic diseases to catch, and we've been told that getting the novel coronavirus right after having unrelated respiratory symptoms would be, well, bad.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    I hope this doesn't seem like a condescending comment, and I'm glad people are feeling better. But beware assuming that these symptoms were COVID. Right now, my wife and I are recovering from symptoms very similar to those described that appear to have been bacterial (negative COVID tests, response to antibiotics) even though we both had assumed it was the coronavirus given our lifestyles.

There's still plenty of not-pandemic diseases to catch, and we've been told that getting the novel coronavirus right after having unrelated respiratory symptoms would be, well, bad.
    At where we are in this outbreak, I don’t think a positive or negative test is necessarily definitive. Hopefully when there is an antibody test, it might be more dispositive.

I am more impressed you both got tested — who do you know or what were your symptoms that you both managed to get tested?

At where we are in this outbreak, I don’t think a positive or negative test is necessarily definitive. Hopefully when there is an antibody test, it might be more dispositive.

I am more impressed you both got tested — who do you know or what were your symptoms that you both managed to get tested?
    Circumstances were a little odd; wife's test was a previous contact, in another state at a different time; I posted in another thread about how hard it was to get ordered. But Middlesex County, MA is now testing symptoms without documented contacts; mine was straightforward and makes me think the State is catching up.

User Tag List