Page 30 of 54 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were going to run 10k carrying rifle, pistol, ammo, how would you do it?

Just registered for the 20k.

If for the 5K. One step at a time.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    If for the 5K. One step at a time.
    Awesome! Looking forward to finally meeting you, dude.

I'm just doing the 5K again too. When I run the whole 5k without walking, and/or place well enough to get the trophy, I'll give the 10k another try...
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Just registered for the 20k.
    Whew, that's a challenge, kudos for taking it on.

I'll say this just to put the suck factor in perspective... today I ran a 50k hilly trail race. It wasn't as hard as the "20k" (its actually 25k) run n gun in July.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FOG View Post
    Whew, that's a challenge, kudos for taking it on.

I'll say this just to put the suck factor in perspective... today I ran a 50k hilly trail race. It wasn't as hard as the "20k" (its actually 25k) run n gun in July.

Fortunately I'll be doing it in January so heat won't be an issue. GoRuck training got me used to carrying 50lbs on my back.

Worst case I'll do it at a ruck pace. My goal is to run the majority.

But I figure I may as well go big if I'm driving half way across the country for a race. Goals and challenges are good for the soul(and a little fear).

This weekend I ran in the "WTF Biathlon", WTF standing for "Waco Tactical Fitness," a charitable organization that supports local youth shooting clubs.

Summary: it was hard and I didn't like running it, but I will do it again.

There were two runs, a 10k on Saturday and a 5k "sprint" on Sunday. I did the 5k sprint, which was a smart choice. I trained for the sprint by running around my neighborhood in running clothes. This does not adequately prepare you for running on broken terrain carrying an extra 20 pounds of awkward stuff.

The terrain was rough, varying from gravel roads to mowed pastures on the easy side to broken rocks, inclined knobby limestone creek banks and the creek bed itself on the hard side. The sprint featured one pistol stage and five rifle stages; the 10k had an extra stage. The pistol stage involved shooting at orange targets hidden in shadowy woods. The rifle stages had targets ranging from tiny to large set up at varying distances, up to approx. 400 yards out. The ranges were not disclosed in advance. Shooting was from various positions, including from a tower, up in a tree, behind barricades, and from beside, underneath, and inside of a car. There were obstacles including an eight-foot inclined wall that most participants just took a 15 minute run-time penalty on. I did, and so did the four other guys I was running with. I gave it three good tries and said the hell with it - too hard after running 2.5 miles and wearing all my gear.

Gear: Most of the sprint participants were wearing some amount or other of multicam or other cool-dude wear. Lots of long sleeves and pants. I was happy with running shoes, cargo shorts and a t-shirt, because Gray Man, and also because it got hot fast. AR's and striker fired guns predominated. One guy ran the 10k with a 50 BMG - not kidding - and got pissed when they wouldn't let him shoot it at the steel targets.

A chest rig would have been great for this run but I didn't have one. I used an old Maxpedition backpack with a triple mag pouch inside and a single rifle mag pouch on the belt. This was not great for fast mag changes but I don't think I lost too much time because of it. I shot a G17 and a Colt 6920 with aftermarket hand guard, stock, etc. My optics were state of the art in 2008: an Aimpoint with 3x magnifier. Most guys had variable power optics, some high quality and some junk. I've had the 3x magnifier for years but have never actually used it before. I'm pretty comfortable with the 1x 2 MOA Aimpoint dot out to 2-300 yards, but the magnifier was helpful on the smaller and farther targets. I need more time behind a magnified optic to get comfortable with it. Despite my buddy making fun of my optics choice I was more or less competitive with guys using the high-speed variables.

Tips and tricks: Chest rigs and slinging the rifle across your back are the way to go here. My backpack interfered with slinging and unslinging my rifle; my buddy's chest rig did not. A variable powered optic is probably better than the 1x+magnifier, but using them I completed all stages, and a lot of guys with the variables did not. I ran early in the morning, which was good in that it was cooler, but bad in that there were basically no wait times when I arrived at the stages - I generally had to run straight through. Some of the guys who ran later had 15+ minute waits to rest a bit, but it was hotter then, so I count that as a wash.

Overall my combined run and shoot scores put me in the top third - not too bad for a basically untrained near-40 year old, I'll take it. This was a great gut-check and test of gear and general fitness, and if, like me, you've taken enough fantasy shooting classes to develop your skill set past the basics and want to test it out under more stressful conditions I'd recommend trying one of these runs out.

I will say this: I have a renewed appreciation for guys in LE and the military who do this kind of crap day in, day out in boot camp, training and on the job. The whole time I was running I was alternating between wishing I was dead and looking forward to my ex-Army buddy Eric telling me what a sissy I was for whining, which he did. The most impressive thing I saw was a former Marine dislocate his shoulder on an obstacle, get the dislocation reduced by a medic, and then finish the rifle stages and the run. Oorah? Dude's a badass in my book.

Photos and more info are at this link.

6 weeks out and I'm behind where I need to be. Short days, cold weather and hunting season seem to promote my winter hibernation mode.

Quote Originally Posted by FOG View Post
    6 weeks out and I'm behind where I need to be. Short days, cold weather and hunting season seem to promote my winter hibernation mode.

I'm right there with you. 3 weeks out and I'm trying to strategize my last few pre race workouts. 3rd week is taper so I really only have 2 solid weeks...

Wondering what the weather will be like. Also wondering how massively destroyed my body with be at the end of the 20k.

Good luck guys, I wish I was there to run it with you again.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Good luck guys, I wish I was there to run it with you again.
    Not defending your title? Shame.

User Tag List