Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Spare carry mags? Really?

Site Supporter
    One poster commented about paranoia and carrying a gun in suburban America. In Texas we have an outstanding system of highly maintained farm to market roads. In addition to transporting agricultural products to urban areas, they also serve as a conduit to carry crime from the city to the country. The terms urban and inner city have connotations pertaining to minority populations left there after white flight. If Texas cities are typical, these areas have very high crime rates. Many of the offenders in these communities have vehicles. They, if they wish, can travel into suburban areas. Some bring their criminal behavior with them. We live in a mobile society. Criminals are mobile. All this said, I must point out that folks other than minorities commit crimes, and many of these have never set foot in the inner city. The main point here is that suburbs are not necessarily safe because they are suburbs. Our nation has an extremely high incarceration rate. Why? Note that as more and more offenders are released and as we incarcerate fewer people in the future, we may see an increase in crime rates.

When I carry a pistol, usually I omit taking along an extra magazine. Laziness and carelessness are the reasons. An exception is out of town travel.

I've only been carrying for 5-6 years, most of that without a spare mag even though I had a few "pouches" for CC. Ordered a holster and mag carrier from We the People and have been using the mag carrier since. The holster is only ok and doesn't work for me well while driving, but the OWB mag carrier is minimalist and snaps on/off my carry belt in two seconds. The carrier isn't closed at the bottom (not ideal), but I'm using it. My not quite full-size carry is a P2000 V1 LEM as tweaked by Lazy Wolf Guns in a Stealth Gear IWB : 13+1 will have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

Until the next time. Why do I answer this?
    Because you're not too good to steer someone in the right direction. Thanks or taking the time.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    One poster commented about paranoia and carrying a gun in suburban America. In Texas we have an outstanding system of highly maintained farm to market roads. In addition to transporting agricultural products to urban areas, they also serve as a conduit to carry crime from the city to the country. The terms urban and inner city have connotations pertaining to minority populations left there after white flight. If Texas cities are typical, these areas have very high crime rates. Many of the offenders in these communities have vehicles. They, if they wish, can travel into suburban areas. Some bring their criminal behavior with them. We live in a mobile society. Criminals are mobile. All this said, I must point out that folks other than minorities commit crimes, and many of these have never set foot in the inner city. The main point here is that suburbs are not necessarily safe because they are suburbs. Our nation has an extremely high incarceration rate. Why? Note that as more and more offenders are released and as we incarcerate fewer people in the future, we may see an increase in crime rates.

When I carry a pistol, usually I omit taking along an extra magazine. Laziness and carelessness are the reasons. An exception is out of town travel.
    I admit I go towards comfort, I carry a Glock 43, and seeing tons of tactical guys on YouTube with tons of spare mags and all this hype around preparing for some kind of civilian warzone that I have yet to see, makes me shake my head sometimes.

So I think laziness and carelessness sum up why I don't carry one.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_J View Post
    I admit I go towards comfort, I carry a Glock 43, and seeing tons of tactical guys on YouTube with tons of spare mags and all this hype around preparing for some kind of civilian warzone that I have yet to see, makes me shake my head sometimes.

Please don't generalize. Those guys aren't us, we aren't them, those guys aren't the entirety of the trained and proficient gun owners in the US. Personally, I eschew all YouTube videos in favor of the written word and actual training.

You really need to (if you have ammo, time, and the money for the class) take a dedicated two day or so handgun class. Again, speaking from experience; it's an eye opening process. The military trains to the lowest common denominator, the civilian training sector actually has free market forces at work, and the best and most innovative usually rises to the top.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    As you know, I kept statistics on defensive shootings as cases came through our office and focused on random violence. I made that split when it became immediately apparent that random crime looked completely different then targeted crime and the amalgamated stats were of little use to either. It would be like averaging the various stats of a Prius and a tri-axle dump truck and then saying that's what the average car looks like. Targeted crime generally has a more dedicated attacker and one more likely to initiate the encounter from ambush and/or already shooting. Hit percentages were lower, round counts were higher, distances were longer, cover was more likely to come into play, and win rates for the defender were lower.

This is one reason I always carry a duty sized gun out and about in my daily life. Nothing recent, but I've gotten death threats credible enough Intel wanted to put a pole cam by my house. People can recognize me and have a grudge. When I travel I'm fine with a smaller gun. Anyone who accosts me is much more likely to be after my wallet then because "you killed my brother" or "my daddy is in jail for the next 30 years because of you" scenarios.
    Excellent points. OT but I first read "wanted to put a pole cam by my house" as "wanted to put a pole arm by my house," and snorted up coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_J View Post

We moved to our current house 20 years ago. At our old house, I paid a little extra for earthquake coverage. When we moved to our current house the insurance company said that while I had been grandfathered at the old house, earthquake coverage was no longer an option. So I switched to another insurance company that did offer earthquake coverage. There hasn't been a significant earthquake in the area where I live for as long as I can remember, maybe not since the Civil War, maybe not since the Pilgrims arrived, maybe not since the early days of the Roman Empire. But there have been minor ones from time to time, and maybe one day there will be a bigger one. If there is, and it causes significant damage to my house, life will be a PITA for a while but it won't be a calamity.

Your G43 is the basic homeowners policy. If you run into something more than water or fire damage that's not covered by the basic policy, you'll wish you had ponied up a little extra for more comprehensive coverage.

Edited by LL

<This thread is now NOT in GD, we will keep it civil and thoughtful now, thank you.>

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I did the same in the Corps. Now listen, this is not personal. The civilian handgun training sector is light years ahead of anything you saw in the Army and you don’t know what you don’t know. Why do I say that? From experience. Go. Take. A. Handgun. Class.
    Yep. As a basic civilian, taking "Combative Pistol" with Tom Givens in 2017 in Everett WA, completely changed my trajectory on training.

https://rangemaster.com/training/combative-pistol/

I felt so strongly about the value of this experience, I took it again, last year. My 2017 AAR is at the link below:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....t-WA-June-2017

Everyone please note that this is now now longer in GD and therefore new rules apply.
    #RESIST

User Tag List