Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog time! My new Caucasian Ovcharka puppy!

Dog time! My new Caucasian Ovcharka puppy!

Hi there,

Thought id share about my new Caucasian Ovcharka (Shepherd) puppy. We have had her about 6 weeks now.

When she arrived at 8 weeks old she was about 22lbs. Little over a month later and shes right around 45lbs. Hips appear to be developing well.

Initially I fed her a raw diet however after doing more research I decided to invest in a quality kibble and supplement her with cooked groundbeef. She also gets a large breed fish oil supplement, joint support vitamin and raw goats milk. After more research I may introduce Red Cell Canine to her as well.

Overall is progressing well. We went through great lengths to socialize her, even taking her downtown. We have eased up on that a bit and now take her to an outdoor cafe a couple times a week. Housetraining is progressing well.

“Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

Aren't Ovcharkas what Scott Horvath's agency hacker has for guard dogs?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Yeah. Socialization is key for this bread. They can be high drive / aggressive which could be a disaster for a 100+ lb dog in a neighborhood. They also tend to be very loyal and protective. I had a distant family member with one. It was VERY weary of strangers…to the point that walks were a no go if lots of people or other dogs were present.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Yeah. Socialization is key for this bread. They can be high drive / aggressive which could be a disaster for a 100+ lb dog in a neighborhood. They also tend to be very loyal and protective. I had a distant family member with one. It was VERY weary of strangers…to the point that walks were a no go if lots of people or other dogs were present.

Yes absolutely. We hit the early socialization hard. Ive had previous large breed working dog experience but nothing exactly like this before. I first encountered the breed living abroad as a child where my friends family had one. They were originally from Georgia.

So far very pleased we her. She is a bit of a goof. We keep a close eye on her. Its worth noting I live in the mountains in a semi rural area and have a fully fenced property. Neighbor next door has a farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post

Not familiar with Horvath myself.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

Outstanding! She looks great. I would love to see pics as she matures. Keep up the socialization.

If you haven't already figured it out a Prong Collar is your friend. My female high drive GSD came home at 8 weeks wearing a prong collar and wears the same collar today with quite a few more links added. Buy the best. https://www.original-herm-sprenger-dog-collars.com/

If you have plans of getting her "fixed" make sure you allow her to fully mature with all her natural hormones. More and more it is being discovered that hip (and other) problems are the result of dogs getting spayed or neutered too early. A large breed like your girl will not fully be done maturing until 3 years. ~98% of what you see will happen much much earlier but that last ~2% lags behind.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Outstanding! She looks great. I would love to see pics as she matures. Keep up the socialization.

If you haven't already figured it out a Prong Collar is your friend. My female high drive GSD came home at 8 weeks wearing a prong collar and wears the same collar today with quite a few more links added. Buy the best. https://www.original-herm-sprenger-dog-collars.com/

If you have plans of getting her "fixed" make sure you allow her to fully mature with all her natural hormones. More and more it is being discovered that hip (and other) problems are the result of dogs getting spayed or neutered too early. A large breed like your girl will not fully be done maturing until 3 years. ~98% of what you see will happen much much earlier but that last ~2% lags behind.
    Thank you for the info! I did not know that about the 3 year maturity mark. I was planning on fixing her at 2 years (beeder also had it in the contract) I noticed the vet seems to push it earlier but didnt seem to mind when I said not before 2 years. I will definitely look into this more. I appreciate it. I will snag one of those collars as well.

I will be happy to include updates as she grows! We are excited to have her and love her already. She does very well with my young daughter (10 months) although their interactions are brief and very closely monitored.

-JCN

Quote Originally Posted by Mercworx View Post
    I noticed the vet seems to push it earlier but didnt seem to mind when I said not before 2 years.
    Revenue stream!

Regarding food. Mine love raw chicken. It's fun to listen to them crunch through the bones. Always fun to have someone over and give a dog a raw chicken leg quarter and watch the look on the guests face when they hear the bones getting chomped through. Depending on who it is I could say "Yup and they can do that to you arm or leg."

I get a 40 pound box of chicken backs for $22. I strip off the skin (too much fat) and freeze them in a dedicated freezer I have for the dogs raw. I get raw goats milk, Kefir, cottage cheese, plain yogurt as a treats. Natural (unbleached) green tripe is really nutritious and good for the gut. My two are spoiled.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Revenue stream!

Regarding food. Mine love raw chicken. It's fun to listen to them crunch through the bones. Always fun to have someone over and give a dog a raw chicken leg quarter and watch the look on the guests face when they hear the bones getting chomped through. Depending on who it is I could say "Yup and they can do that to you arm or leg."

I get a 40 pound box of chicken backs for $22. I strip off the skin (too much fat) and freeze them in a dedicated freezer I have for the dogs raw. I get raw goats milk, Kefir, cottage cheese, plain yogurt as a treats. Natural (unbleached) green tripe is really nutritious and good for the gut. My two are spoiled.
    Oh definitely.

Id love to revisit the raw diet again. It was hard for me to manage at the time. I need a dedicated freezer for certain and then Id be open to it. Where do you get your trip from?

Never thought of kefir or cottage cheese either. How do you serve it to them?

-JCN

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Yes. Nicholas aka the Dwarf has two and in one book, Horvath had a puppy.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I thought it was fairly difficult to buy a pet bear.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

User Tag List