Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Taibbi on White Fragility

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    [pedant]Ackshully, technically, that's an AMM[/pedant]
    I think that's the point - analog meters, stick shifts, and rotary phones. (And I'm just old enough to be dangerously proficient with those items.)

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    I think that's the point - analog meters, stick shifts, and rotary phones. (And I'm just old enough to be dangerously proficient with those items.)
    I used analog until I started to need my indoor reading glasses to make out the numbers in dim light. Still not used to that newfangle digital meter.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Let us not leave out stick shifts...
    I may have told this one before... please forgive.

Years ago I got hired to a position that came with a company car. I gifted my younger sister my car, which was a 5-speed manual. She lived in NYC. I told her it was fine if she wanted to trade or sell it. Whatever she got for it was hers to put towards another vehicle.

She drove it for a few years before trading up, and would call me occasionally to bitch about driving a stick in NYC.

FF a few years and she's on vacation with the Hubby and in-laws. They fly in to wherever and the only rentals left on the car lot are sticks. Musta been Europe somewhere. She was the only one that knew how to drive it. We still laugh about that.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I used analog until I started to need my indoor reading glasses to make out the numbers in dim light. Still not used to that newfangle digital meter.
    Thread drift.....
    The big analog meters are elegant, but in my years doing field service I developed great respect for the durability of Fluke portable DMMs. They survived a lot of drops and other accidental abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I may have told this one before... please forgive.

Years ago I got hired to a position that came with a company car. I gifted my younger sister my car, which was a 5-speed manual. She lived in NYC. I told her it was fine if she wanted to trade or sell it. Whatever she got for it was hers to put towards another vehicle.

She drove it for a few years before trading up, and would call me occasionally to bitch about driving a stick in NYC.

FF a few years and she's on vacation with the Hubby and in-laws. They fly in to wherever and the only rentals left on the car lot are sticks. Musta been Europe somewhere. She was the only one that knew how to drive it. We still laugh about that.
    I learned to drive a stick in San Francisco. That had some fun moments.

I still pine for a hand shift motorcycle. Its interesting sitting at a stop on a hill, with a passenger, with one foot on the clutch ready to go, playing the front brake and throttle with the right hand.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I still pine for a hand shift motorcycle. Its interesting sitting at a stop on a hill, with a passenger, with one foot on the clutch ready to go, playing the front brake and throttle with the right hand.
    I know what you mean. Wife and I were on a three week motorcycle trip, 6000+ miles, two up with bags. Going up some pretty steep, and often poorly graded gravel added to the gray hair I was already developing.

The Moki Dugway in Utah was a highlight.

Take Utah’s Most Dangerous Road For Unbelievably Breathtaking Views

Utah has several white-knuckle roads, but Moki Dugway probably qualifies as the scariest. The three-mile-long switchback road is carved right into the side of the mountain. The gravel road is steep with hairpin turns…and no guardrail. However, if you dare to drive this road, you’ll see some absolutely gorgeous views.

Ive been looking at a bunch of ride reports of all over Utah and Az on the ADVrider forum, some great trip ideas. Not sure I want to do some of the more scary routes, Ill have a sidecar and the dog, and have developed a good case of vertigo when getting near cliff edges. Still, very cool seeing reports, pics and vids.
    Last edited by Malamute; 06-30-2020 at 01:48 PM. Reason: speling is hard
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

That must have been both fun and challenging. Last time I was there I made sure I got to drive on Lombard Street but no sticks in rentals. Fortunately this was long before there was worry about rolling back on a hill into a pile of human excrement.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ive been looking at a bunch of ride reports of all over Utah and Az on the ADVrider forum, some great trip ideas. Not sure I want to do some of the more scary routes, Ill have a sidecar and the dog, and have developed a good case of vertigo when getting near cliff edges. Still, very cool seeing reports, pics and vids.
    I used the first edition of this book to help plan some must see rides in the areas you are interested in. Found it useful.

User Tag List