Page 31 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Has anyone here bought one yet?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Has anyone here bought one yet?
    Are they even out yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Are they even out yet?
    Apparently.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I saw a 6” one in a local gun shop a few days ago for about $1,500.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I saw a 6” one in a local gun shop a few days ago for about $1,500.

Okie John
    Same here. Haven’t seen the 4 inch 4 1/4 inch yet.

And now The Firearm Blog SHOT show coverage is saying that one of the Pythons at the industry range day was having issues with failing to advance the cylinder. At least Colt can’t be accused of tuning up “ringer” guns for gun media reviews. I really want to like this gun, but it’s going to be a while to make me feel good about getting one.

If it turns out that this redesign won’t be satisfactory as a hard use shooter, I have absolutely no interest in this thing. No lock 686s aren’t too hard to come by, and they’re a hell of a lot less than what Colt wants.
    Last edited by Scal; 01-20-2020 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scal View Post
    And now The Firearm Blog SHOT show coverage is saying that one of the Pythons at the industry range day was having issues with failing to advance the cylinder. At least Colt can’t be accused of tuning up “ringer” guns for gun media reviews. I really want to like this gun, but it’s going to be a while to make me feel good about getting one.

If it turns out that this redesign won’t be satisfactory as a hard use shooter, I have absolutely no interest in this thing. No lock 686s aren’t too hard to come by, and they’re a hell of a lot less than what Colt wants.
    Ouch.

I bought my GP100 on sale for $525 brand new. It has digested 2700 158 grain magnum rounds and it is still tight as a tick. I doubt I've even worked my way through a measurable fraction of its life.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Ouch.

I bought my GP100 on sale for $525 brand new. It has digested 2700 158 grain magnum rounds and it is still tight as a tick. I doubt I've even worked my way through a measurable fraction of its life.
    I'm gonna 1-up you here.

I bought mine new for $350 in 1999 and proceeded to run thousands of hot rounds through it (my standard was 180gr@1300fps, but I also shot lots of more traditional mag loads too). At first I didn't own a 38 special, all I shot through this gun were mag loads. I sold it to a buddy in 2015 and he continues to do the same today.

The gun is still tight.

A person could do a lot worse than a 3"-4" GP100 as their only revolver. It sounds like the new Python is "a lot worse" choice-wise.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Scal View Post

I'd like one, no doubt.

The idea of plunking sixteen C-notes on the glass for one is, well, daunting. I have a 4" 686 and a 6" 27. A Python fills no niche that I need to have filled.

But I still want one.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I'm gonna 1-up you here.

I bought mine new for $350 in 1999 and proceeded to run thousands of hot rounds through it (my standard was 180gr@1300fps, but I also shot lots of more traditional mag loads too). At first I didn't own a 38 special, all I shot through this gun were mag loads. I sold it to a buddy in 2015 and he continues to do the same today.

The gun is still tight.

A person could do a lot worse than a 3"-4" GP100 as their only revolver. It sounds like the new Python is "a lot worse" choice-wise.

Chris
    That's a one upping I don't mind.

I've come to believe that a 4" .357 is the single most useful firearm a rural person can own, and if for some weird reason I could only own one firearm, the GP100 would probably be it.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List