Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Any of you .Gov types personally feeling the pinch?

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    This also sticks in my craw.
    Oh, stand by then....message enroute.
    Last edited by TGS; 01-11-2019 at 06:36 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I am not in .gov, but all my current projects (and most of my company's annual $4B revenue) is with .gov, mostly DoD.

So far, I've not seen any impact from what I do (I'm a middle level engineering Cat-Herder), which ranges anywhere from interacting with local .gov and .mil supporting my Prime Contractor to getting parts to getting access to .gov facilities both CONUS and OCONUS.
    Based on my previous .MIL/.GOV experience, you are fine unless your company's contract comes up for renewal during a shutdown.

Site Supporter
    My agency is fully funded. Unlike the last shutdown when non-essential employees didn't work, but got paid later anyway. Contractors got completely screwed. Also, the 15% of my team I tagged as "essential" felt like they missed out on an unscheduled paid vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I am not in .gov, but all my current projects (and most of my company's annual $4B revenue) is with .gov, mostly DoD.

So far, I've not seen any impact from what I do (I'm a middle level engineering Cat-Herder), which ranges anywhere from interacting with local .gov and .mil supporting my Prime Contractor to getting parts to getting access to .gov facilities both CONUS and OCONUS.
    DOD is funded, IIRC that was the first budget bill passed.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    My understanding is that the majority of Federal civilian employees are Democrats, and I'm sure they'll be bringing heat on Democratic legislators.
    What data backs up that understanding?

I do not work for fed.gov, but I am supposed to be starting some contract work for a company who does work for fed.gov -- if that makes sense.

The team for which I am supposed to work is on an Army installation, and the team is essentially locked out of the installation until the shutdown ends. I have had a few phone calls from the fed.gov customer, and the customer called me from home as he is "non-essential" -- but still working.

So I cannot work on the contract. And if I could work, I could not get my hours approved or get an invoice approved. Financially it is not big deal as I have other customers and I learned long ago to save for lean times (and for customers who ignore pay terms and pay late), but the pay rate for this contract is pretty high. Since I want to plow a whole bunch of money into the business in 2019, the contract award was well-timed. So my expansion plans may be delayed.

Of course, the final due date will not slip, so my carefully crafted schedule for getting what needs to be done done on time just when into the dumpster.

I feel for the young, new fed.gov employees who have had almost no time to build a rainy day fund as the flood happened before construction of the fund could start. I am less inclined to care for those who have decades of service and know this is a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    My federal position is funded so that's not an issue. My friends in the Coast Guard are starting to get nervous because if something doesn't change real quick they're probably not going to get paid on the 15th, and that would suck a big fat dick. Apparently CG families are getting told to have yard sales and take up driving Uber to help makes end meet.
    https://www.npr.org/2019/01/11/68411...on-food-pantry

In Boston this week, a pop-up food pantry opened for men and women of the Coast Guard, the only branch of the armed services working without pay.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    My understanding is that the majority of Federal civilian employees are Democrats,
    Actually, Trump was quoted as saying it, so it must be true.
    Real guns have hammers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    Actually, Trump was quoted as saying it, so it must be true.
    Well, his statement is not without some support.

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 255
Size:  28.0 KB

More data is here:
    https://www.govexec.com/insights/gov...3-2015/119144/
    Last edited by JV_; 01-12-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    Well, his statement is not without some support.

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 255
Size:  28.0 KB

More data is here:
    https://www.govexec.com/insights/gov...3-2015/119144/
    44% is NOT a majority.

Greater than half is a majority.

User Tag List