Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowhunters, share some detail.

Bowhunters, share some detail.

Any bow hunters here, share your setups, thoughts on broad heads etc.

50 lb Samick Trailblazer longbow. Goldtip 300 spine cut to 31.25" (I have a 30.5") draw. 200 Grain Grizzly broad head with a 100 grain adapter, screwed into a 100 grain brass insert.

Will shoot through a deer, hope to find out if it will shoot through an elk between now and the 22nd.

65 pound Bear Attitude. Hard to find something with 32" draw and left handed. I'm really new to it, only hunted three years. This will be the first year with a tree stand. The first thing you have to reconcile in your brain is the short range. I missed clean on a buck this year at 50 yards. First shot at a live animal. With a rifle it would have been a chip shot. Definitely need to work on my max range.

Shooting a bow is a lot of fun. Reusable projectiles is a big plus.

Mission bow set at 65# (I think) shooting 100 gr G5 Montec's. I don't remember the length of the arrows or anything like that. To me the compound is just a tool that helps procure meat and I just take it back in to the local shop every other year for a quick tune up.

If compound bows are the soulless glocks of the archery world, longbows are 1911's or classic revolvers. I'm hoping to take one of my longbows out this season, but given I have less time for practice, I'd have to limit my shots to a max of 15 yards. 66" Bamabows Hunter pulling around 54# at my 30.5" draw length shooting full length AD trad lites with 50 grain inserts and either 175 grain Simmons Sharks or Woodsman tips up front.

Matthews LX. GT Pro Hunter arrow with 100 grain Grim Reaper or Rage (I'd have to look). I do keep two arrows in the quiver with 100gr Slick Tricks. I also have a Samick Sage 45lb recurve that I enjoy shooting, but am nowhere near consistent enough to hunt with it. If you want to talk no soul, my Excalibur Micro probably has that wrapped up.

Bowhunters, share some detail.

Not to derail, but do any of you guys have some tips/tricks/hints for first-time bow hunters?

I'm heading to my in-laws 100 acre "farm" (15 acres in soy beans - mostly rolling hills and pines) next Sunday-Wednesday for my first bow hunt. I've rifle hunted there for about 4 seasons with consistent success. We have a good idea where the deer travel but I've always hunted thanksgiving week, never this early for bow season.

Got my stand where I've got trail cam pics and practiced from the stand over the summer. My personal max distance is 20-25yds. I've shot 40 but I don't have the confidence to try that on game.

What do the experts say to the new guys? NEVER do this....ALWAYS do that.

Calls, scent control etc.

On topic - Bear Crux at 65# with Muzzy 100gr 3 blades. From what I've read I pretty much have one of the "off-the-rack-suits" of beginner bow hunting for equipment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by punkey71; 09-12-2016 at 06:53 PM.

Make sure you practice with the broad heads and practice from a stand wearing the same gear you will be wearing on the hunt. The broad heads may effect your arrow flight. Your gear may get in the way of the draw or release. Drawing your bow while standing or sitting 15-20ft in the air with a downward trajectory will feel completely different from standing on the ground shooting flat.

I don't have any true words of wisdom, no "never do" or "always do" stuff. Just try to foresee every possible situation and prepare for them. I've taken deer standing directly under my stand while leaning out against my fall restraint. If you haven't practiced from your stand you won't be able to determine if you can take that odd shot.

3D shoots are great practice for hunting and fun to boot. Look for a local 3D course and hope they have some stand targets set up.

Oh, yeah Have fun and be safe. I guess I lied earlier about the always thing; Always use a fall protection device when hunting from a stand.

BTW, I have an old 65# AR34 from Archery Research set up with a whisker biscuit, Beeman carbon fiber arrows and 100gn Spitfire mechanical broad heads.
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 09-12-2016 at 07:58 PM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Osage Great Northern "Bush Bow" 73 pounds at 31"

XX75 2315's 170gr badger single bevel

Thanks Rich.

I actually practiced in the stand with my harness on and I leaned out using it to hold me for a coupe shots.

Also shot my Muzzy's at 20 and POI was unchanged from my field points. I needed that for my own confidence. I could never hunt unless I knew where my shots should be going.

Good stuff! Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Never bow hunted yet...gonna get my first rifle hunting experience in this November and work my way up to bow hunting public land here in IL.

I can hit a paper plate at 40 yards but probably wouldn't shoot at game at that distance. Using a PSE Spyder at 55lb weight and montec fixed blade broadheads.

Not sure if that's the equivalent of a Taurus or not haha. I am not overly familiar with bows, but it is fairly accurate and seems like it puts some steam on the arrows. The guys at the bowshop's proshop seem to keep it from falling apart, replace the strings, nock and peep sight from time to time and the arrows don't fishtail or seem to do anything weird.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 09-12-2016 at 09:18 PM.

User Tag List