Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 148 g wadcutter for female newbie?

Site Supporter

148 g wadcutter for female newbie?

Friend of friend has new to her 7 shot Ruger GP100.
    Is the 148 target wadcutter still the intersection of light recoil and effectiveness?

Thx

Wadcutters are good for light recoil with good penetration out of snub barrel lengths that don't lend themselves to expansion velocities. With a likely longer barrel length and relatively heavy weight of a GP100 you could probably step up to cartridges that will both penetrate and expand while still not kicking much with the weight to soak up recoil. A lot depends on the shooter and the revolver. Her best bet might be to try a variety of cartridges and see what works.

Site Supporter
    Unlikely to buy and practice w multiple loads. pivot to Hornady critical Duty in 90-110 g and call it good?

I researched this a bit, and decided to shoot Federal Gold Medal Match 148 gr wadcutter for both training and carry in my Ruger LCR. Possible option?

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...8a-p-1187.aspx

With a GP 100, I would imagine it'd be like shooting a .22.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    With a likely longer barrel length and relatively heavy weight of a GP100 you could probably step up to cartridges that will both penetrate and expand while still not kicking much with the weight to soak up recoil.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Unlikely to buy and practice w multiple loads. pivot to Hornady critical Duty in 90-110 g and call it good?
    The 110's generally have poor penetration though I don't recall any test results specifically on the Hornady. FWIW, after hand surgery a few years back, my wife is very recoil sensitive. She can for brief shooting sessions handle loads up to about 3.5 pound feet of recoil in our 640-1 (though for extended shooting sessions she much prefers a full size 1903 .32 ACP). Speer Gold Dot +p 135's are probably around that 3.5 pound feet or less in a GP100. It's also one of the better reputation rounds in 38 Special. Maybe get a box of wadcutter and a box of Speer and try them side by side?

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Friend of friend has new to her 7 shot Ruger GP100.
    Is the 148 target wadcutter still the intersection of light recoil and effectiveness?

Thx
    Probably need more data points. I’d like to know barrel length and fixed vs adjustable sights. I have not found 110 loads hitting to POA in fixed sight guns of older design. OMMV, of course.

148 wadcutters will *probably* hit to POA, unless it’s one of the Novak cut GPs, eg. Clapp—I *think* those are regulated for 125 grainers. Probably be good for you to shoot a few cylinders of various options out of it to see. One thing for sure: wadcutters in any GP are going to be easy on the recoil.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

For getting someone comfortable with the gun— and even enjoying it — I ‘d go with the target wadcutters. Very mild recoil in the GP100, nice big holes in paper, and a decent reputation for real-world effectiveness. Accuracy and confidence are worth far more than any marginal gains in terminal ballistics with hotter loads.

I carry the Gold Medal and practice with less expensive remains from Precision Delta.
    https://www.precisiondelta.com/produ...ed-ammunition/

And this is NOT calibrated ballistics gel, but is interesting:
    https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/rev...llistics-test/

148’s for everybody!
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    The 110's generally have poor penetration though I don't recall any test results specifically on the Hornady. FWIW, after hand surgery a few years back, my wife is very recoil sensitive. She can for brief shooting sessions handle loads up to about 3.5 pound feet of recoil in our 640-1 (though for extended shooting sessions she much prefers a full size 1903 .32 ACP). Speer Gold Dot +p 135's are probably around that 3.5 pound feet or less in a GP100. It's also one of the better reputation rounds in 38 Special. Maybe get a box of wadcutter and a box of Speer and try them side by side?
    That's the first time I've ever actually heard someone use a measurement ("pound feet") for recoil.

Could you expand a bit more on what that means, and how you measure / apply / use it in comparisons?

Genuine question; I'm an engineer and am always looking for a more objective measure of some of the squishier topics thrown about (like recoil.)

Thanks!

User Tag List