Page 37 of 58 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Beto O'Rourke: "Hell yes, we're going to take your" assault weapon

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    One other point. You know how some of the folks here in LE or .mil will sometimes talk about training or programs they sit through that may have been well intentioned at inception but are completely FUBAR in application, but the people at the top or higher up the chain of command point to the program proudly and say what a success it is, hey look what we did, we’re on top of things ? Lots of diversity programs are like that for the people they allegedly benefit, and for analogous reasons. So when someone says oh but gee we have a diversity program so it’s all good, rest assured the analysis doesn’t end there, not by a long shot.
    Last edited by Medusa; 10-19-2019 at 12:02 PM.

During a Black Lives Matter incident where a guy fabricated a racial hate crime assault, my workplace created Safe Spaces so students could feel safe. A gay guy went to the safe space and was forcibly thrown out by the students of color because they said LGBT didn’t belong there unless they were also of color.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    During a Black Lives Matter incident where a guy fabricated a racial hate crime assault, my workplace created Safe Spaces so students could feel safe. A gay guy went to the safe space and was forcibly thrown out by the students of color because they said LGBT didn’t belong there unless they were also of color.
    That is completely and utterly fucked.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    That is completely and utterly fucked.
    Oh yeah, can you guess what Admin did about that? Nothing. They were so terrified of BLM and bad press, one senior admin climbed out of his office window and ran away when BLM came knocking.

Site Supporter
    That sounds more like an attack on a not-black-person than an attack on an LGBT person.
    Of would their response have been different if a straight white man or woman walked in?

Doesn't sound like it was an anti-lgbt attack at all. In fact, you clearly state they would have been welcome as long as they were of color.

Chris

Oh yeah, can you guess what Admin did about that? Nothing. They were so terrified of BLM and bad press, one senior admin climbed out of his office window and ran away when BLM came knocking.
    I'd like to think you're joking...but I'm certain you're not.

There's just no making sense of things among otherwise reasonable folks. One of my partners, (R.I.P.), and another black agent got into it with me following the Rodney King travesty and tried to use it as a justification for the Reginald Denny beating. As if that somehow was justified as illustrating black folks "not taking it anymore".

I was so upset with these two, and told them that if they wouldn't have gone to Denny's aid then they should turn in their badges. (I threatened worse, but it was the heat of the moment.)

These events bring out the worst in people.
    Last edited by blues; 10-19-2019 at 12:19 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

BLM also has a vocal "carry at people" contingent, that’s been clear for a while.

As to LGBT and training: I am no pro trainer and never will be, but I’ve had some great training myself, and I am objectively possessed of very good coaching skills, so I’ve taught a few people basic pistolcraft on the side, as they have found me, via word of mouth. The majority have been lesbians justifiably worried about their personal safety. Just a data point.

...one senior admin climbed out of his office window and ran away when BLM came knocking.

LOL! Sounds like someone who would fit in at the state places around here. As an aside, in the 13 years I’ve been a "temp” worker at the state place, I’ve been under 6 sitting deans and an equal number of provosts, counting all the interims. Going even further OT, here’s a quote that I find apropos, re: admin in academia:

"Most state institutions and publicly-traded corporations are run by mobile careerists without much skin in the game. They think and act in the short-term — for the quick bonus, raise, or resume bullet point. Whatever programs or innovations they promise will be left to languish as soon as they receive credit for them and turn their attention elsewhere. Everything is a hustle for rootless Nietzschean “Last Men” navigating morally with no true North — no “thou shalts” — only an ever-changing landscape of trending moral buzzers in a great game of Operation."
    -Jack Donovan
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 10-19-2019 at 12:25 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Beto O'Rourke: "Hell yes, we're going to take your" assault weapon

Good point, Chris. My point is that the gay guy felt like he needed a safe space (don’t get me started on that) but no one felt his gayness counted as special enough to require one. In Oregon we’ve had at least as many gay bashing incidents as racial hate crimes, so I sympathize with his frustration.

Ok, I can’t help myself. I don’t think anyone should have a space just for their kind though, and if someone feels unsafe, they should call 911.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 10-19-2019 at 12:23 PM.

Site Supporter
    Good point, Chris. My point is that the gay guy felt like he needed a safe space (don’t get me started on that) but no one felt his gayness counted as special enough to require one. In Oregon we’ve had at least as many gay bashing incidents as racial hate crimes, so I sympathize with his frustration.

Ok, I can’t help myself. I don’t think anyone should have a space just for their kind though, and if someone feels unsafe, they should call 911.
    Philosophically, I believe in enabling people to be able to make their own safe spaces. I understand not everyone is wired for that but it tracks with the whole give a man to fish / teach a man to fish thing.

Maybe I'm weird, but I find that regardless of race, creed, color, sexual orientation, etc. some people are ok and some are assholes. i will admit to discriminating against assholes.

Name:  raylan_assholes_whiskey.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  19.1 KB

User Tag List