Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW in modern healthcare

The only time I've worn scrubs was when my daughter was born. I carried a J-frame in a belly band and it worked well for the relatively short time I had them on.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    One place that is a major No Go in the MRI Magnet room.
    An option for such environments is a non-metallic blade. I’d rather have a gun in a gunfight, but a sharp stick is still better than walking into a fight with just your cock in your hand.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    An option for such environments is a non-metallic blade. I’d rather have a gun in a gunfight, but a sharp stick is still better than walking into a fight with just your cock in your hand.
    As a guy who might have carried one a time or two do you have any preferences? I know Special Circumstances makes such a knife and Ian Wendt stuff looks great but are there other options that you like or work well for the above described needs?

Banned
    Does your employer specify a certain type of scrubs? I know of a couple of companies that make scrub pants that are pants complete with belt loops. I also have seen people that wear a scrub top and EMT (5.11) pants.

I also went to school with a woman who paid 60 bucks a set to have officially licensed Grey's Anatomy Scrubs (I am not kidding she wore light blue (resident) scrubs all through school and dark blue (attending) after graduation) but that's another story

In regards to the Smart Carry, it can work well. I used one daily for several years, and carried a P30. My attire was tucked in shirt and blue jeans. Others Who have worn scrubs, (vet techs) had no trouble in their workplace. There was no printing, or indication to be made out by me. When using the restroom (2), the SC is moved up to where a belly band would ride. The issue can become accessibility, and finding the right balance of grip and barrel length. And this will be user dependent. Too long of a barrel, and it can jab and poke. Too short of a grip and it can be difficult to get a proper grip in order to deliver a fast follow up shot(s). Too long of a grip it can get hung up on the bottom of the belt on the draw, or the draw strings if they are cinched too tight.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Special Circumstances can make a ceramic blade with carbon fiber layered over the sides. That is probably your best option for cutting plus stabbing ability.

For just stabbing, you want something with good 3 dimensional support for the point. Most nonmetallic knives will not provide cutting ability, so the design should focus on preventing the point from bending if you have to stab.

G10 works well. My favorite is the now discontinued Colt SPEAR pack knife, if you can find one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Unfortunately, hospitals are a big no go in IL and so much of my job involves direct patient contact that most rigs would get me made, fired, and probably charged.

We have a parking lot exemption though, so I carry to and from work. Scrubs are why I bought the LCP custom and a pocket holster. Seems to work and I can hit a USPSA head box with it at about 15 yards. Other days I carry a real gun.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Back in my MedEvac days, a shoulder holster with a J Frame or a PPK concealed well beneath a flight suit. Perhaps a Ken Null SKR holster would work for a small pistol or revolver.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I have tried many different scrub carry solutions. The best was AIWB with the belt directly on skin, scrubs tied over top and shirt untucked.

Have done more than a few surgeries this way and the techs never know.

Alternative is a really light pistol in a clip holster on scrubs tied. Has to be G42 light.

Belly band also works, but not as well as a belt IMO.
    This sounds like a way better solution than relying on the scrub waistband. Cherokee makes some good ER/nursing style scrubs that do support the weight of a J frame or single stack semi auto like a G42/43/Shield when using a clip style AIWB holster, but they are not OR scrubs.

As a student I don't carry in any clinical environment. Our ER has 24/7 armed security, but that was not exactly reassuring when walking to my car from the county hospital ED last night at 0330. Just not worth it for me at this point in my career. Maybe when I am attending in 300 years time...

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Unfortunately, hospitals are a big no go in IL and so much of my job involves direct patient contact that most rigs would get me made, fired, and probably charged.

We have a parking lot exemption though, so I carry to and from work. Scrubs are why I bought the LCP custom and a pocket holster. Seems to work and I can hit a USPSA head box with it at about 15 yards. Other days I carry a real gun.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    If I trusted the security of the parking lots at the county hospital I spend time at, I would do the same... but I don't. Way more likely to get jacked from my car than for me to use it in self defense while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Does your employer specify a certain type of scrubs? I know of a couple of companies that make scrub pants that are pants complete with belt loops. I also have seen people that wear a scrub top and EMT (5.11) pants.
    This might vary regionally and based on your practice, but typically at large hospitals they require you to wear hospital provided linen service scrubs if you are in the OR. You might more leeway if you aren't with a surgical service.

In contrast, it is almost part of the culture for ER docs wear literally whatever the fuck they want. Popular combos include carhartts or dress pants w/ scrub top and scrub pants with T-shirt and sweater. Whenever I see one in a set of scrubs and long white coat I confuse them for a consulting service.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 10-21-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Back in my MedEvac days, a shoulder holster with a J Frame or a PPK concealed well beneath a flight suit. Perhaps a Ken Null SKR holster would work for a small pistol or revolver.
    He's wearing scrubs, not an open front garment....
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List