Page 229 of 725 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231239279329 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,290 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    No idea on that, but, for the last 11 days or so, our curve ran literally in lockstep with Italy’s, only exactly 11 days behind. I was hoping that our social distancing would give us a chance to slow that curve relative to Italy. Sadly, as of today, we’ve actually sprinted a day ahead of Italy’s curve. No fucking bueno.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

vs
    But the population of the U.S is 5 to 6 times greater than the population of Italy.

@Josh Runkle, @Tom Duffy,

NJ OEMS just released a bunch of waivers for EMS.

Paramedics are now allowed to work in the hospital at their current scope of practice....previously, if you were a medic, you could work in the hospital but only as a Critical Care Technician....which is the same level an EMT could work at, and you couldn't perform any ALS level work. Basically a nice word for a CNA but with the understanding that CCTs usually aren't shitshows like CNAs.

ALS units are now authorized to be staffed by 1 EMT and 1 Paramedic....previously, they had to have two medics minimum.

BLS units are now authorized to be staffed by 1 EMT and 1 First Responder. No, not a Certified First Responder....just "First Responder", which NJ OEMS describes in the waiver as simply needing a professional rescuer CPR cert. Note: OEMS regulated units previously required two EMTs. Volunteer units that don't bill are "regulated" by the NJ First Grade Council, and previously only required 1 EMT and 1 first responder.

There's a bunch of regulatory bullshit regarding recertification timelines that's getting pushed to the side as well. In addition, people with certs from outside the state, from any state, are allowed to work in NJ. Previously you had to have a NJ certification.

Basically, what this does is allows a bunch of non-emergency people working in the hospital that aren't needed due to curtailment of regular business to take a 1 day BLS class and drive an ambulance, so agencies can push 1 EMT-per-truck-per-shift to an ALS unit, allowing that same ALS unit on a 1:1 basis push a paramedic to the hospital to perform ALS level care.

This is a giant leap of common sense overruling regulations for NJ EMS, which is a fucking disaster of a shitshow in general throughout the state and decades behind some portions of the country.
    Last edited by TGS; 03-17-2020 at 03:29 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    But the population of the U.S is 5 to 6 times greater than the population of Italy.
    Doesn’t that just mean that our total numbers will eventually be way higher? As far as rate of growth/spread, from 1st case to x days later, I’m not seeing why that matters.

That said I’m no stats/math guy. I’m sure someone here who is can set me straight.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

One of the guys on my volunteer ambulance corps scored a big package of toilet paper and gave me some. No I don't have to go to our backup plan which was to consume copious amounts of Imodium.
    Real guns have hammers.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Paramedics are now allowed to work in the hospital at their current scope of practice....previously, if you were a medic, you could work in the hospital but only as a Critical Care Technician....which is the same level an EMT could work at, and you couldn't perform any ALS level work. Basically a nice word for a CNA but with the understanding that CCTs usually aren't shitshows like CNAs.

ALS units are now authorized to be staffed by 1 EMT and 1 Paramedic....previously, they had to have two medics minimum.

BLS units are now authorized to be staffed by 1 EMT and 1 First Responder. No, not a Certified First Responder....just "First Responder", which NJ OEMS describes in the waiver as simply needing a professional rescuer CPR cert. Note: OEMS regulated units previously required two EMTs. Volunteer units that don't bill are "regulated" by the NJ First Grade Council, and previously only required 1 EMT and 1 first responder.

There's a bunch of regulatory bullshit regarding recertification timelines that's getting pushed to the side as well. In addition, people with certs from outside the state, from any state, are allowed to work in NJ. Previously you had to have a NJ certification.

Basically, what this does is allows a bunch of non-emergency people working in the hospital that aren't needed due to curtailment of regular business to take a 1 day BLS class and drive an ambulance, so agencies can push 1 EMT-per-truck-per-shift to an ALS unit, allowing that same ALS unit on a 1:1 basis push a paramedic to the hospital to perform ALS level care.

This is a giant leap of common sense overruling regulations for NJ EMS, which is a fucking disaster of a shitshow in general throughout the state and decades behind some portions of the country.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but BLS crews mostly do interfacility transfers or otherwise low-acuity medical calls, right? If so this seems thoroughly reasonable and hopefully will give us more hands on deck in the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    We are also two weeks behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

That's really good news. We've been running with 1 EMT in a BLS ambulance for a while now. We often don't have the numbers during the day to do otherwise. Concerning to me is that the overwhelming majority of our members are old enough, and have enough pre-existing conditions, to be considered in the high risk group. I'm guessing we have about 2 to 3 weeks worth of N95s left with no way I can see to get more. Looking for government intervention, I suppose.
    I've been hoping the state would move on recertification timelines. I'm due to recert in June and the class has been cancelled.
    Real guns have hammers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but BLS crews mostly do interfacility transfers or otherwise low-acuity medical calls, right? If so this seems thoroughly reasonable and hopefully will give us more hands on deck in the hospital.
    A lot of places do 911 response with BLS crews as part of what we call a tiered system. That could be BLS ambulances with ALS non-transport units, or a combination of BLS and ALS ambulances. EMS is provided in a lot of different ways in this country.

Honestly 90% of what I do with my ALS ambulance is BLS calls anyway. I work in an all-ALS system. For now. That might change over the next 8 weeks, depending on how things go.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

I know you guys are all over this, but just as are reminder, make sure you have what you need in terms of basic first-aid supplies so you have the option of not going to the hospital or ER if you don't need to.

Case(s) in point: Somehow I jammed up my strong side ring finger on a draw from concealment in my class this weekend. I got through the class but it was hurting some Sunday night after Ibuprofen and ice. So Monday morning, while I normally might have visited the urgent care doc, I googled how to put on a spint and refreshed my first aid skills for a broken finger. Not sure if it was a break or maybe just a sprain, but I used a popsicle stick and some medical tape I had and isolated it for a couple days. It felt a lot better this evening taking it off.

Second thing: Someone in my house decided it would be a Great Idea to remove the stuck-on screw top of the new Avocado oil with a new Ikea cheese knife. You know, the ones that come sharp AF. Anyway, a dressing of a 6"x6" was hastily fashioned and pressure applied until the bleeding stopped. Peroxide was liberally doused and the wound re-dressed. No stitches looked to be required, the cut is superficial and should heal up ok. Again, although we would not have gone to ER for this, it just occurred to me that I need to go look at my first aid supplies for something beyond a band aide, just in case I need. So I'll be doing a quick inventory of my stuff and possibly taking a trip to the drug store for some stock items.

Just thinking that with all the Doc's and Nurses are expected to be dealing with soon, the more self-sufficient we are the better; not to mention that we don't need to be around large groups of people if we can help it over the next two weeks anyways.

Ok, time in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Not to step on TGS, who really knows his stuff, in suburban and rural NJ, BLS is dispatched to every call. ALS, based in a hospital, is simultaneously dispatched for difficulty breathing, chest pain, altered mental status, etc. BLS does the transport with ALS on the BLS unit. Often ALS will evaluate the patient and release care and transport back to BLS so as to free up the ALS unit to respond to more serious calls. Sometimes ALS in not available for a serious call, making for a stressful BLS dash to the hospital.
    Real guns have hammers.

Site Supporter

41% of Adult Americans at risk for severe COVID-19 Illness

My BIL (doctor) sent me the link to this article:

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...kff-finds.html

Looks like our medical system has some tough days ahead.

User Tag List