Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition Bad Habits? Do any exist? Competing Anonymously possible?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Technically, it's multi-tasking but, the reloading is transferred to implicit aka procedural memory and can be performed without any cognitive load.
    Are you trying to say that these aren't the droids that I'm looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Technically, it's multi-tasking but, the reloading is transferred to implicit aka procedural memory and can be performed without any cognitive load.
    Agree. Same with malfunction clearance in many cases. Competition develops unconscious mastery of running a firearm.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Student
    I will remind everyone to take a look at this thread.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ichotomy/page5

Sanch, I suggest you digest Mr. White's words regarding training scars, starting around page 4.

As he says, consider that there are bad habits you also pick up in dry practice and defensive training classes.

I'd love to meet one of these alleged mongos that do not realize they can shoot through a snow fence.

They must be as elusive as Bigfeets.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyesquared View Post

On the other hand, I think some people are really overselling the benefits of competition. If you don't really want to compete, don't enjoy it, or don't have enough of a competitive attitude to take it semi seriously and train for it, I don't see much benefit either. The really casual participants at my local matches usually don't seem to get any better or worse over time. I say this as someone who personally got bit by the USPSA bug and has been doing ~30 minutes of dry fire daily and 200-400 rounds of weekly live fire since I started competing, whereas previously I shot maybe 200 rounds per month and dry fired extremely infrequently. I have seen my skills improve drastically from middle of C class shooting to being competitive with the high B, low A shooters over the past 4 months.
    This is important right here.

It's interesting that you bring this up because it boils down to this. Whether shooting, Boxing, race car driving or whatever..

The benefits of competition will manifest in the competitive.

The guy who wants to smoke his buddies on the next stage is the guy who will put on the practice. Maybe he wants to be the hotshot local GM...or the Nationals champ...that guy is gonna practice because he is competitive by nature, and that competitiveness will drive him to improve. That is the benefit of competition.

It will make you look at small improvement. At process. And gradually, that small improvement becomes big improvement. Not immediately. But after a while.

What does that have to do with shooting in self defense? I don't know.

But if you're not ever gonna practice, you're fooling yourself by thinking you're ready.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Which begs the question: If competition is bad and gits you kilt on da streetz, then what does one do for practice, training, ect?

The answer I've usually been given involves giving money to some fat dude with a forged DD214 and his Guaranteed Combat Shooting System (as Used By Seekrit Skwirrel Black Ops People).
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Competition Bad Habits? Do any exist? Competing Anonymously possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    So you've been to less than 10 pistol matches and never been in a gunfight. But you are sure of what works and what doesn't.

Gotcha.

PS, I doubt you're right about the multitasking thing......
    Quote Originally Posted by deflave View Post
    I agree that humans are pretty poor at multitasking.

However I don't think running and reloading is multitasking.

Neither is rushing with a football, dribbling with a basketball, or chewing gum while walking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    And yet those who don't compete or do so infrequently tell us such things can't be done.

Okay...….
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    It seems super ridiculous to not participate because you can't 1:1 replicate your carry setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Which begs the question: If competition is bad and gits you kilt on da streetz, then what does one do for practice, training, ect?

The answer I've usually been given involves giving money to some fat dude with a forged DD214 and his Guaranteed Combat Shooting System (as Used By Seekrit Skwirrel Black Ops People).
    1. The process humans use is often referred to as task stacking, I thought that was common knowledge but apparently not. Also, I point out my experience so you know what my opinion is based off of. At least that way you can form your own opinion of my thoughts. But if you want to be a child and use it as a jab, I don’t really care.

2. I really don’t understand how you draw parallels to chewing gum and walking with reloading on the move. The closest analogy was the basketball but even that only uses one hand.

3. Another childish passive aggressive jab because I don’t have a lot of competitions under my belt. Sorry that my amateur numbers don’t make me worthy of your recognition. I’m not at all opposed to competition, it just hasn’t been available to me until recently.

4. I disagree. Maybe if that were my only way of getting any practice in, but that’s not the case. Also, it’s 2020 and we’re talking about a weapon light - it really shouldn’t be that crazy of an idea, but since it is, I didn’t have the desire to see what other ridiculousness there was. Again, I have other options. I shoot USPSA in open because I like my carry gun and it was already setup in a way that dictated open - so be it.

5. I’m not sure if this is referencing what I said or just the general notion. I never beat that dead horse.

My point was simply that there are probably things you should keep in mind. The comment about shooting each target twice seemed sarcastic, but is also entirely true. As I said in my first post, the good outweighs the bad. But, if anyone still wants to debate it, I’ll happily create a thread with some test procedures laid out so members can actually try it out and post results. I really thought it was obvious that reloading on the move would probably slow most people down but maybe not.

Also, I’m still wondering how beating someone to the draw and putting rounds on them first is even a valid consideration for the majority of self defense shootings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 03-11-2020 at 11:52 PM.

It's the general notion that I'm curious about.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post

Well sure, you need to sign up for the proverbial 'high round count' tactical pistol class so you can get on line with 20 other dudes and blast away. Instructor ratio 1 to 10, 30 training objectives covered the first day.

On a more serious note, some of the things folks drill exhaustively for have little or no relevance to the real world, case in point the 1.12 draw and press out. As someone mentioned, real-life isn't like an episode of Justified, if the bad guy has a firearm out, you would be better served, in most cases, by moving as you draw. You should also develop a concept of which way you want to move before you have to, and practice it.

Likewise, reloading on the move, looks cock, but you are generally better served by making sure you are loaded before leaving cover; if you are engaged in the open then you may need to shoot on your way to cover, hopefully you'll get there before you are locked back.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't develop draw speed, or that you shouldn't be able to reload on the move, rather that for 'on the street' there are probably more important things to focus on.

OP - competing will almost certainly do one thing - make you a better shot. This will be maximized by talking with other shooters, and getting feedback from them. I think, though, that flies in the face of your desire to be anonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I really thought it was obvious that reloading on the move would probably slow most people down but maybe not.
    I definitely do not run at max speed while reloading on the move because it makes it too hard to get the mag into the gun smoothly and consistently, so I tend to agree regarding reloading on the move slowing your movement. However, most of the reloading on the move that I've done in competition has been due to shooting Production division and thus being limited to 10 rounds/mag. The rules and needs of the game are different than the rules and needs of real life. That said, for any reasonable human being, *learning* to be able to reload on the move won't hurt you any - it just gives you another tool you can choose to use when/if it makes sense to do so.

User Tag List