Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition Bad Habits? Do any exist? Competing Anonymously possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Seems reasonable to avoid confrontation over your gun ownership in a world of red flag laws where if these laws get any worse for us anyone can report you and have your stuff taken at gunpoint without due process. It might feel good to tell your left leaning cousin or neighbor to fuck off but six months later when you’re having a bad day and look upset and they call the cops to seize your guns, their the ones having the last laugh.
    You already lost.........

Competition Bad Habits? Do any exist? Competing Anonymously possible?

I’ve only shot a handful of matches (less than 10) and I’ve never been in a gunfight, but there are two things that have always stuck out to me that people do in competition but probably not what you want to do in a real fight: reloading on the move and failure to use cover. The former is probably self-explanatory but just in case, many shooters will reload while moving because it’s multitasking and they’re not likely to be shooting on the move, so they do something else instead to save time. As for the latter, objects on stages are barricades to brace off of or obstacles to move/shoot around - it’s pretty rare that you’ll see someone lean out/pie-off an obstacle as opposed to blowing right past it to continue tackling the stage.

That being said, I agree with others that the benefits far outweigh the cons. If nothing else, you’re unlikely to find a shooting experience that will present so many new scenarios/target arrays to you in the same day - especially for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Respectfully, there is a difference between "living in fear" and "not advertising." I aim for the latter.
    I don't advertise anything. But I sure as hell ain't hiding the gun safe or creating an alias to go shoot some USPSA. LOL

Anybody that has a problem with either doesn't belong in my life.
    Last edited by deflave; 03-11-2020 at 07:03 AM. Reason: I forgot a word.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I’ve only shot a handful of matches (less than 10) and I’ve never been in a gunfight, but there are two things that have always stuck out to me that people do in competition but probably not what you want to do in a real fight: reloading on the move and failure to use cover.
    Can you tell me why one would not want to reload while moving in a gun fight? If I'm hauling ass and not shooting, but think I should refill, why would I not do it on the run?

If you have a look around the internet you can find plenty of gunfight videos where no one went looking for cover to shoot from, at least not initially. Do you think that maybe the ability to get the gun out and start shooting faster than your opponent may be useful when cover is nowhere close to you? I do.

Competition Bad Habits? Do any exist? Competing Anonymously possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Can you tell me why one would not want to reload while moving in a gun fight? If I'm hauling ass and not shooting, but think I should refill, why would I not do it on the run?

If you have a look around the internet you can find plenty of gunfight videos where no one went looking for cover to shoot from, at least not initially. Do you think that maybe the ability to get the gun out and start shooting faster than your opponent may be useful when cover is nowhere close to you? I do.
    Because humans can’t actually multitask, so you’re giving something up - speed. If you’re moving under [potential or actual] fire, it’s probably best to just run faster and get to your next piece of cover, then reload, or better yet, reload first then move. Also, while probably less relevant in most self defense shootings, if you’re moving then you’re entering a new area, which brings the potential of additional threats. Hopefully you’re smart enough to not run into an area you couldn’t previously see while trying to reload, but people do stupid shit under stress. Better to round that corner with a loaded gun then fumbling with a mag.

And if you’re beating an opponent to the draw and first shot, you may very well not even be justified in shooting. Those things typically don’t go down like a duel. If you’re not near cover, sure, you could try get to the gun fast. But the interwebz is also full of videos of people getting blasted because they try to draw while a gun is already on them. At least running away/to cover is less threatening in that sense, so maybe you won’t get shot immediately.

Either way, they’re just general principles. Both can be what-if’d all day but my original point still stands.

Another aspect of competition that I find unrealistic is that I often times end up shooting 16 different perpetrators with two rounds each, all whilst I happen to be walking around with a full size Glock and four magazines. Some of the bad guys even end up being made of steel.

I mean... sheesh. Get real. It's as if we're just trying to gauge how well we can shoot or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I’ve only shot a handful of matches (less than 10) and I’ve never been in a gunfight, but there are two things that have always stuck out to me that people do in competition but probably not what you want to do in a real fight: reloading on the move and failure to use cover. The former is probably self-explanatory but just in case, many shooters will reload while moving because it’s multitasking and they’re not likely to be shooting on the move, so they do something else instead to save time. As for the latter, objects on stages are barricades to brace off of or obstacles to move/shoot around - it’s pretty rare that you’ll see someone lean out/pie-off an obstacle as opposed to blowing right past it to continue tackling the stage.

That being said, I agree with others that the benefits far outweigh the cons. If nothing else, you’re unlikely to find a shooting experience that will present so many new scenarios/target arrays to you in the same day - especially for the price.

IDPA used to require both, reloading in cover/tac reloads, and shooting from cover. Fault lines were put in place because there were too many controversial cover calls (as its a bit subjective) and of course cries from Da Gamerz.

As a shooter I miss the old style cover, but as an SO and Gamerz I definitely prefer faultlines. There were too many times where sponsor shirts were getting favorable calls, and some SOs were almost impossible hard noses on it.

Quote Originally Posted by deflave View Post
    Another aspect of competition that I find unrealistic is that I often times end up shooting 16 different perpetrators with two rounds each, all whilst I happen to be walking around with a full size Glock and four magazines. Some of the bad guys even end up being made of steel.

I mean... sheesh. Get real. It's as if we're just trying to gauge how well we can shoot or something.
    Don't forget all the people walking around with pistol caliber carbines and 40 round stick mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    IDPA used to require both, reloading in cover/tac reloads, and shooting from cover. Fault lines were put in place because there were too many controversial cover calls (as its a bit subjective) and of course cries from Da Gamerz.

As a shooter I miss the old style cover, but as an SO and Gamerz I definitely prefer faultlines. There were too many times where sponsor shirts were getting favorable calls, and some SOs were almost impossible hard noses on it.
    I should clarify that all of the matches I’ve shot have either been USPSA or 3 gun. IDPA never appealed to me because last I checked, I wasn’t allowed to have a light mounted on my gun, which seemed super ridiculous.

Leaving aside the question of whether or not competition is realistic, I am skeptical that 2-3 minutes total of shooting at a 6 stage match will burn in irreversible "training scars."

On the other hand, I think some people are really overselling the benefits of competition. If you don't really want to compete, don't enjoy it, or don't have enough of a competitive attitude to take it semi seriously and train for it, I don't see much benefit either. The really casual participants at my local matches usually don't seem to get any better or worse over time. I say this as someone who personally got bit by the USPSA bug and has been doing ~30 minutes of dry fire daily and 200-400 rounds of weekly live fire since I started competing, whereas previously I shot maybe 200 rounds per month and dry fired extremely infrequently. I have seen my skills improve drastically from middle of C class shooting to being competitive with the high B, low A shooters over the past 4 months.

User Tag List