Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Achilles' heel of the Beretta (Broken locking block)

After 300 rounds today, there is no doubt it's cracked. It's gotten worse and the crack is very discernible now.

I'm glade I caught it before it completely sheered off. That makes two locking blocks (original and replacement). The first one lasted around 15k rounds and this one around 13K rounds. Both broke the exact same way.

Thankfully Beretta sent me two replacements for free when the first one died. I'll drop another one in tomorrow and hopefully this one will make it at least 20k rounds.

God bless,
    David

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    That's a crack all right!

Check out Bill Riehl's post as I think you may have some things he is looking for if you haven't already seen it.

So, I'm beginning to think that 10,000 rounds would be a pretty safe point to replace one's locking blocks?

Wow, 5pins nailed that didn't he? Interesting that when you cleaned it up the crack vanished.
    Definitely send that to Bill.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    Wow, 5pins nailed that didn't he? Interesting that when you cleaned it up the crack vanished.
    Definitely send that to Bill.
    He sure did.

I think when I cleaned it up that it took the contrast away which was so visible in the digital picture. I might have even filled in the crack a little bit by wiping it down. However, after the last 300 rounds it really opened up. I suspect it would have sheered completely off at the next range session. It actually went six hundred rounds after I first noticed the chip. I really don't know how long it was chipped for before I noticed it.

God Bless,
    David

how often do you replace the recoil spring?

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    how often do you replace the recoil spring?
    Factory recoil spring every 5k rounds.

God Bless,
    David

Does a new locking block drop in or need to be fitted?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Does a new locking block drop in or need to be fitted?
    In theory they are drop in parts. However if you have a 1st or 2nd generation block, you will have to change out the plunger as well as the 3rd gen went with a smaller plunger (I assume to add more "beef" to the block). You should check to make sure that the lugs lock evenly into the slide and if they don't you should do a little filing of the lug to fit them. The blocks I've replaced didn't really need any fitting but some filing to the front edge of the lugs (where they mate with the slide) might be needed if you have some uneven wear, otherwise one lug will end up carrying most of the load during recoil and be prone to failure sooner.

Hell in all honesty, a $35-$40 part every 10,000-15,000 rounds (low conservative count) is not bad. I mean that is close to $2700 in just ammo alone. So realistically not bad at all.

I would not dub it the "Achilles Heel" necessarily. I see this as standard maintenance. Now if I had to send it in or pay over $100 for a part every 10,000 rounds...that would be an Achilles heel.

Quote Originally Posted by David B. View Post
    After 300 rounds today, there is no doubt it's cracked. It's gotten worse and the crack is very discernible now.

I'm glade I caught it before it completely sheered off. That makes two locking blocks (original and replacement). The first one lasted around 15k rounds and this one around 13K rounds. Both broke the exact same way.

Thankfully Beretta sent me two replacements for free when the first one died. I'll drop another one in tomorrow and hopefully this one will make it at least 20k rounds.

God bless,
    David
    Any chance I could get one of the broken blocks? I'd happily pay for it.

And I'd love to take a look at the slide.

User Tag List