Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife Use in an Entanglement

Site Supporter
    I ordered a Pocket Shield. I'll see how it works out for FOG pants carry. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    I wouldn’t necessarily do that. Just wrap your hand around it and don’t put your fingers through the hole. It seems to be decent outside of the ring, and you already have it. May as well use it,
    Thanks, Cecil, But it doesn't really work if you grasp without putting a finger through the hole. It is too big and your hand cannot get a good grip on it and it would be likely to slip out of your hand.

I probably need to offload it, along with an HK MR762 rifle and a lot of other things that are cluttering up my place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Cecil, for folks who live in paces where concealed fixed blades are illegal, have you found any satisfactory alternatives? A folder carried on the centerline perhaps? Or folders in both front pockets? I'd appreciate your input.
    I think if you go with a folder due to legal reasons, I like the idea of a folder in each front pocket, probably set up for sitting high up on a pocket shield.

There a lot of good folders. Pick what you can afford in the size you need from one of the big companies and you will be as GTG as anything
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Thanks, Cecil, But it doesn't really work if you grasp without putting a finger through the hole. It is too big and your hand cannot get a good grip on it and it would be likely to slip out of your hand.

I probably need to offload it, along with an HK MR762 rifle and a lot of other things that are cluttering up my place.
    Ah.

Sorry. I hate to be the guy who discourages a guy Gear wise. But I get your point.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    To follow on this: what about carrying a locked open folder in a sheathe? Does anyone make purpose built sheathes like that?

Does the idea have any merit?
    The idea probably has merit in some areas, but in my jurisdiction it would be considered a fixed blade. Which is a no-go if concealed.

If you wanted to explore the concept, I suspect a talented kydex-smith could set you up.

I think if you go with a folder due to legal reasons, I like the idea of a folder in each front pocket, probably set up for sitting high up on a pocket shield.

There a lot of good folders. Pick what you can afford in the size you need from one of the big companies and you will be as GTG as anything
    Thank you, Cecil. I appreciate the advice.

So obviously the clinch pick is the ideal solution for a belt-mounted entangled knife. What about for LE/Mil dudes that run knives centerline in their armor?

I know a lot of guys that use the SOCP to have a Lo-pro knife centerline on their vest to get access during an entanglement. But now with this thread pointing out all the de-gloving concerns, is there a known better option for a lo-pro vest knife without a ring?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I’ll note that I have 2CPs: a BT set up per doctrine, and a china—set up sub-optimally—for possible NPE use. FWIW.
    I do too, except they are both China-Picks. But one is setup with a soft loop setup effectively per doctrine (a little less angle to keep the grip well concealed). The other is setup with a Spyderco G-Clip, it's setup vertically and I clip it AIWB and it gives good access with the strong hand. The G-Clip also allows the knife to slip nicely onto a pocket shield, with the hook under in a slot.

Concur, though I admit to being a fan of the axis lock on the P'Kal, but it's a pricey folder for most.

That said, the Kershaw-Emersons (CQC-4 in particular), is easily setup for left or right carry, robust, has good handle to blade-length ratio, neutral blade shape and a relatively neutral handle shape for edge-in or edge-out work and can be bought for about 25-30 bucks American.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdkiller View Post
    So obviously the clinch pick is the ideal solution for a belt-mounted entangled knife. What about for LE/Mil dudes that run knives centerline in their armor?

I know a lot of guys that use the SOCP to have a Lo-pro knife centerline on their vest to get access during an entanglement. But now with this thread pointing out all the de-gloving concerns, is there a known better option for a lo-pro vest knife without a ring?
    A TDI or CP mounted vertically behind the mag pouch seems to be one of the really preferred approaches. A buddy of mine has tried a bunch of different things and keeps returning to the TDI behind the mag pouch when in uniform. I also find the TDI works well from the pocket (especially attached to a Pocket Shield), as long as your pockets are sufficiently deep to allow access (if you can pocket carry a J-frame, you can pocket carry a TDI).
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 11-12-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Not right now but I'm working on a neutral dagger design with JB Knife and Tool that addresses this issue. For the time being the SOC-P is still the best option for running centerline on armor in a channel of MOLLE.

Morgan Atwood of BFE Labs has been producing some G10 knives with various blade styles and a retention hook on the pommel that don't completely encapsulate the finger for this application. https://bfelabs.bigcartel.com/product/hook-spike You could probably commission one in steel if you chatted with him.

User Tag List