Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Decision matrix around what and how you carry in Synagogue/Church/Mosque

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    1: Thank you for correcting me. I must have missed the "no weapons or live ammunition allowed" in your earlier posts.

2: How were the students cleared as "no weapons"? Wand? Pat-down? A big sign? You know, a "no guns allowed" rule is hard to enforce. Witness school and church shootings.

3: If I implied it was CSPD's first rodeo, I misspoke. In fact, I guessed that it was probably not their first rodeo, and I wasn't greatly worried about the trainer shooting the "SUPRISE!" guy. It was probably gamed up between them, you know, the "Good Idea Fairy". My comments were directed at the trainee audience.

4: Trainees (and I would be startled if there was only one) who for protective reasons brought a NPE gun through whatever security screen was established (see Item 2, above), could reasonably have responded to a gunshot in an known non-permissive environment by returning fire. The following few days would be consumed in interviews and paperwork. Regardless of criminal charges, the inevitable follow-on civil suit(s) would be quite expensive, even if the Church won.

5: Nonetheless, I do not wish to be confrontational. This is not my circus. If you're happy, sir, I'm happy.
    You brought up some points that I hadn't thought of. Especially a recurring issue that I had addressed with the training staff a couple of times, specifically that everytime they did a dry training session in the church specified No Live Ammunition in the training area and everytime about half the class would show up with loaded weapons. As I mentioned earlier, they're volunteers they do what they want.

In this particular case they made everyone disarm and leave their weapons in the security office before entering the sanctuary. All the training that day was done with blue guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    Can we keep this on topic?
    My apologies.
    Last edited by Cypher; 05-10-2019 at 08:00 PM.

I’ve got 4 key questions I’m curious about but please feel free to add as you see fit.

1. What factors drive you towards what/how you carry when attending (not working security) your house of worship?
    2. What are you carrying?
    3. How are you carrying?
    4. How are you prioritizing the ratio of shootability:concealability:comfort
    1. Generally mode of dress for Church vs. ‘otherwise.’. Tucked polo and nice khakis are the norm in relaxed / warm Florida

2. Ruger LCR

3. Pocket carry in a Desantis Nemesis

4: Not sure I follow but numerically it’s probably 5:10:10. I shoot the Ruger ok, but pocket carry in a tucked shirt is better for me for what I wear / do at Church.

I had to stop and think about carrying in Church when I started. I mean, a gun in the House of the Lord. Unfortunately in the times we live in, it is a reality that any large gathering is a potential target. Sad.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I had to stop and think about carrying in Church when I started. I mean, a gun in the House of the Lord. Unfortunately in the times we live in, it is a reality that any large gathering is a potential target. Sad.
    When David was on the run from Saul and he stopped to get Goliath's sword it was in the temple

King James Bible 1st Samuel 21:9
    And the priest said, The sword of Goliath the Philistine, whom thou slewest in the valley of Elah, behold, it is here wrapped in a cloth behind the ephod: if thou wilt take that, take it: for there is no other save that here. And David said, There isnone like that; give it me.
    Last edited by Cypher; 05-11-2019 at 07:52 AM.

I carry the same gun, in the same fashion, that I carry anywhere else. If anyone in the church family has a problem with it they've never said so and can pack sand if they do. The pastor approves.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    My wife and I believe in somewhat proper dress for houses of worship. Thus, I wear either a sport jacket or a vest (a regular, dressy, cloth vest -not a tac vest). Under that is a Glock and an extra mag. We sit towards the back and an exit, away from the main entrance. Tourniquet in back pocket as I do everywhere. Try to sit at a row end. Keys, Delica, small Surefire in various pockets. The local house of worship has a few officers outside to direct traffic, so there is some layered defense. Interestingly, I noted new panic buttons against the walls at intervals.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 05-11-2019 at 12:08 PM.

Site Supporter
    I don't generally switch guns for any reason. I am a cheap bastard and have always thought that my duty piece is the one that I get the most practice with, and smaller/easier to conceal has its points, but familiarity and confidence are more important to me. Scott Reitz had a great article in SWAT concerning this a few years back.

Currently carrying a G17 with RMR, small light, and spare mag. Normally IWB, occasionally in a fanny pack. Most congregants don't know or care that I am armed. A couple of Elders/Decons have been vocally anti-gun, but never to my face. A couple have made my piece during greeting hugs, no one has complained. At two churches now, the pastor has explicitly approved. The first one taught in Isreal, so armed folks were more of the norm. The current one texts me how grateful he is that I am prepared and ready to deal with violence every time there is a shooting of a house of worship in the news.

When I became a cop the only way to carry legally in this state was on my badge/commission card, or in a fanny pack (wierd case law). So for a number of years I celebrated the privilege by carrying concealed everywhere, because I could.

In the recent past I ran into a violent gang member who I had a professional interaction with at church.. He was less than pleased when I last saw him...I think he is dating the daughter of one of our members. He has not recognized me yet, but I knew him immediately. I started carrying more less lethal stuff in case he recognizes me and decides to do something stupid. My Mean Gene Hot Tamale coin purse/sap has generated more questions than my guns ever have.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 05-11-2019 at 12:15 PM.

I’ve got 4 key questions I’m curious about but please feel free to add as you see fit.

1. What factors drive you towards what/how you carry when attending (not working security) your house of worship?
    2. What are you carrying?
    3. How are you carrying?
    4. How are you prioritizing the ratio of shootability:concealability:comfort

1. Distances for longest average shot inside the building, plus number of potential attackers. That is a lasered 26.4 yards from my seat next to the nursery when in the sanctuary. When standing in the kitchen doorway, it's 28.2 yards to the far end of the fellowship hall during Bible study. The nursery is fairly small, it's a hair under 10 yards from wall to wall.

(Bring a Bosch laser tape measure to church, since you are helping the Finance committee measure the rooms for a possible repaint price quote....)

Note - I'm always security, as I'm responsible for myself and my family members wherever I go. I take my granddaughter to church, and take her security quite seriously. My sister is the assistant pastor.

2. This is currently a Glock Gen 2 G17 IWB at 3:00 with iron sights, a spare extended mag, spare Glock G26 in the blazer to arm some thoughtless dumbass not carrying. Smith 43c .22LR on left ankle for a contact headshot if I am sitting behind someone who needs it. Sabre Red in right outside blazer pocket. Smith Scandium/titanium 342 in my left front pocket because it's always there. Joe Watson Kidon carried iWB at 9:00. Two orange SOFTT-W Gen 4 TQ's in the right inside blazer pocket. Flashlight in left outside blazer pocket.

I just got a Glock G45 yesterday, it's going to get a Aimpoint Acro P-1 for better accuracy at distance. I honestly foresee having to shoot over the heads over screaming children at 20+ yards. I have got to get headshots if at all possible, based on elevations.

3. Carrying all this stuff in/under a old 5.11 poly/wool navy blazer in the winter, or a nice Armani navy silk blazer in the summer. Belt is a classy oxblood Tucker & Byrd leather Ranger belt. Holster for the G17 is a JM Custom IWB. Ankle holster is an Alessi J-frame rig. G26 holster is a DarkStar with Velcro to keep it from sliding inside the blazer inside chest pocket. S&W 342 is in a RKBA pocket holster from when Steve still made them. Joe Watson made the Kidon sheath, I just use a Galco lift the dot loop. Pressed khaki slacks, Allen Edmonds lace-up brogues, blue pinpoint oxford button-down shirt, and a nice rep tie. Usually a British Royal Marines regimental tie that was a gift from a friend. (Those that know, know.)

4. The ratio honestly leans a lot towards shootability. Like Wayne, I have worked hard on the "side-hug" for all the little old ladies who like to hug.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I had to stop and think about carrying in Church when I started. I mean, a gun in the House of the Lord.
    Didn't give it a second thought. He made me the shepherd of my flock and the shepherd needs his tools to slay the wolves.

I sit at the end of a pew right beside a large supporting column that would provide excellent cover.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Black Belt View Post
    I sit at the end of a pew right beside a large supporting column that would provide excellent cover.
    I'm no expert but I know enough to promise you that if it kicks off its not going to go at all how you've imagined it in your mind

User Tag List