Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need Ideas for Elderly Lady's House Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    No snark intended from my end. But when I'm participating by phone, I'm not going to go search for a thread just to post a link. Doing that on a phone is a PITA. The information I posted is enough for anyone to go search and find the referenced threads if they are even kinda motivated. I don't feel burdened to do that for them.

Maybe I'm just crochety as I age, but when I want to find general information, my first step is to search and exhaust all the findable threads. I do a lot of that. Someone telling me the information I'm seeking should be easily findable is in most cases more than enough help for me to go find it. I don't have a huge amount of patience for someone who needs an easy search result spoon fed to them in the year 2020, anno domini.
    For future reference, sometimes it's best to just not say anything...crochety old guy or not.

In fact, please ignore all my future posts.

I haven't handled one for ages, but I think Beretta still offers the Model 86 in .380. This is one of their smaller frame semi-auto pistols, and it has a tip-up barrel, so it's not necessary to manipulate the slide to load the chamber, check to see if the chamber is loaded, or to unload the chamber. I always though this would be a neat "folks" type gun. I do seem to recall that the triggers tend to run a bit heavy but like I said, it's been a while since I've handled one. I think Taurus makes a version of it as well. Anyway, something to consider if you can find one locally to check out.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    I haven't handled one for ages, but I think Beretta still offers the Model 86 in .380. This is one of their smaller frame semi-auto pistols, and it has a tip-up barrel, so it's not necessary to manipulate the slide to load the chamber, check to see if the chamber is loaded, or to unload the chamber. I always though this would be a neat "folks" type gun. I do seem to recall that the triggers tend to run a bit heavy but like I said, it's been a while since I've handled one. I think Taurus makes a version of it as well. Anyway, something to consider if you can find one locally to check out.
    Unfortunately I am typing this from my phone and do not have a good way to search for it, but I recall reading a thread, most likely in the semiauto forum, wherein a member here bought one of those and ended up throwing some cold water on this idea. I do not recall the exact reason, but it may have been recoil, which always feels less comfortable from a straight blowback than from a tilt barrel design or other design that permits the barrel to move rearward with the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Student
    Here is the thread in question.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....a-Langdon-Wish

Here is also JRB's thread with a similar premise.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ht-appreciated

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Thanks JRB, that is about where I'm at and the 380EZ is a consideration. My concern there is the trigger may be a little too light. I'm also considering the .38 spl LCRx 3" bbl but once again, the light weight may not work recoil wise.
    Another factor in catering to the shooter in question - what's 'too light' to us may be just manageable for her. If hand and wrist strength is compromised the focus MUST be on proper technique and handling.
    In my Mother's case, with the 380EZ's grip safety and manual safety I was not concerned about the trigger pull weight. In fact, the light trigger is what made it manageable for her because she could focus her strength in proper primary grip, and use of the manual safety combined with proper safety fundamentals had good results, and ones I felt were very safe.

What is emphatically NOT safe is when the shooter must put all of their strength into the DA trigger pull. My Mom could not fire a single round on DA through a .32 Tomcat, and she could not make it through two cylinders on DA with a borrowed (and wonderfully smooth and slicked-up) S&W 686 loaded with mouse-fart 38's. Accuracy suffered immediately after the first round- all of her focus was on getting through the trigger pull and nothing else because that's all the strength she had. I'd guess that 686 couldn't have been over 7 or 8 lbs DA, it was a lovely example of the breed.

Meanwhile, she can shred half-dollar sized holes out of B8's at 7 yards with a .22/45 and she can load the mags and fully manipulate the weapon indefinitely without my help. The 380EZ has much snappier recoil but she can manage it well with a proper two handed grip and none of her focus or strength is taken from safety or marksmanship fundamentals just to run the weapon.

I wanted her to be armed with something that didn't intimidate her. I wanted it to make her feel safe and effective when she picked it up, because too many novice shooters get that proverbial J frame and are innately scared of it because the trigger pull is difficult and they don't feel confident with it.
    I wanted as much of my Mom's focus as possible on the actual situation at hand, and I wanted the weapons handling and marksmanship part of 'the problem' to be a non-issue. That's why a .22LR was on the table, because I knew that she *KNEW* she could get a whole magazines worth of effective hits with minimal thought, which leaves a lot more brainpower available to navigate that terrifying defensive need at hand, that I hope never comes.
    Last edited by JRB; 02-14-2020 at 05:36 AM.

Another vote for the EZ.

I know the OP asked about revolvers but it's a hard enough learning curve enough to get 20 year olds to shoot a DA revolver with any sort of consistency. Let alone old hands and eyes.

I think it is ingrained in our minds that snub nose .38 is an ideal chick/old person gun. But the reality is they're the total opposite. They're best left to the pros in my opinion.
    Last edited by deflave; 02-14-2020 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Another factor in catering to the shooter in question - what's 'too light' to us may be just manageable for her. If hand and wrist strength is compromised the focus MUST be on proper technique and handling.
    In my Mother's case, with the 380EZ's grip safety and manual safety I was not concerned about the trigger pull weight. In fact, the light trigger is what made it manageable for her because she could focus her strength in proper primary grip, and use of the manual safety combined with proper safety fundamentals had good results, and ones I felt were very safe.

What is emphatically NOT safe is when the shooter must put all of their strength into the DA trigger pull. My Mom could not fire a single round on DA through a .32 Tomcat, and she could not make it through two cylinders on DA with a borrowed (and wonderfully smooth and slicked-up) S&W 686 loaded with mouse-fart 38's. Accuracy suffered immediately after the first round- all of her focus was on getting through the trigger pull and nothing else because that's all the strength she had. I'd guess that 686 couldn't have been over 7 or 8 lbs DA, it was a lovely example of the breed.

Meanwhile, she can shred half-dollar sized holes out of B8's at 7 yards with a .22/45 and she can load the mags and fully manipulate the weapon indefinitely without my help. The 380EZ has much snappier recoil but she can manage it well with a proper two handed grip and none of her focus or strength is taken from safety or marksmanship fundamentals just to run the weapon.

I wanted her to be armed with something that didn't intimidate her. I wanted it to make her feel safe and effective when she picked it up, because too many novice shooters get that proverbial J frame and are innately scared of it because the trigger pull is difficult and they don't feel confident with it.
    I wanted as much of my Mom's focus as possible on the actual situation at hand, and I wanted the weapons handling and marksmanship part of 'the problem' to be a non-issue. That's why a .22LR was on the table, because I knew that she *KNEW* she could get a whole magazines worth of effective hits with minimal thought, which leaves a lot more brainpower available to navigate that terrifying defensive need at hand, that I hope never comes.
    Thanks.

It will all come down to what she likes and can use in the end. FWIW, she is not a new shooter and is pretty handy with a Henry 22 lever gun.

Time comes for us all and she asked me to help her find something more suitable to her current capabilities. We're going to go to the LGS today and start looking. I posted here because I know pretty much all the semi-autos out there...but not so much about the revolver side of the house.

My wife handled an EZ380, but found that she simply couldn't rack the slide and lock it back without a mag in place.

She is able to handle the DA trigger on her LCRx in .327 Mag. When loaded with .32 S&W Longs or .32 H&R Magnums, she can go about 50 rds. She hasn't tried any .327 loads, and isn't likely to.

Site Supporter
    327 rounds are surprising loud and have a kick. I've mentioned before that I shot a SW 632 in a match. I was shooting 32 Longs but then had to deal with some steel poppers (which in the past sneered at the Longs). I planned out a load of 327s when I got to them. When I fired the SO was startled as was the crowd, he and they thought I had blown up!

Don't recommend them for shooters as described. Not worth the effort.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    There seem to be some effective .32 H&R Magnum offerings.

With .32 Long, it's wadcutters or FMJs.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List