Page 254 of 374 FirstFirst ... 154204244252253254255256264304354 ... LastLast
Results 2,531 to 2,540 of 3732

Thread: LE UOF Video thread

Site Supporter
    Active shooter at San Antonio Airport:

Site Supporter
    San Antonio PD traffic stop turned gunfight which occurred the day after the airport shooting. Officer does a great job staying in the fight after he is hit in the hand. Note the malfunctions induced by his compromised grip and the fact that his radio was also hit.

Regarding the ChiPD OIS, I really hope that political / contemporary environment concerns did not drive how that encounter was handled. And, that some learning occurs.

Site Supporter
    I have often observed that a significan, number of videos show an officer who goes it alone when he or she should have help. I'm not familiar with the San Antonio Police Department, but it is a large, urban agency. Why start pulling any of the three hinky people out of a vehicle without back-up there with you? If you're the only trooper, warden, or deputy in two hundred square miles, I understand. If back-up is available, but you're in a hurry, you're wrong and your video on this thread may not end the way any of us want it to end. If your agency is short because you've been defunded or politicians have driven cops away, well, as President Obama said, elections have consequences. Don't make the stop or wait for back-up before starting anything other than the traffic stop introduction.

The officer in the traffic stop video handled himself exceptionally well. Bravo zulu, sir. That said, dropping one's gun, dropping one's radio, finding out the radio doesn't work, repeated malfunctions with the gun. being wounded...all this stuff could have gone way worse than it did. A second officer on scene would have been way helpful. A second officer might have deterred the attack or ended it early on.

All that said, the airport shooting shows that sometimes, you need to saddle up and ride out alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Regarding the ChiPD OIS, I really hope that political / contemporary environment concerns did not drive how that encounter was handled. And, that some learning occurs.
    My understanding is that CPD policy requires officers to decide if the need to apprehend a suspect is worth the risk to the officer, the public or the subject before a foot pursuit takes place and officers cannot pursue people on foot only unless they have probable cause the person committed a crime or believe that they’re about to commit one. Essentially, foot pursuits are discouraged. Thus the long walk. How that fits into the particular facts here is unclear to me. I am told the initial contact was based on a shotspotter report, but he had a gun visible at that point which I think is a no-no in Chicago, so....?

I am reporting what I understand to be policy and making no personal comments about he policy or the shooting incident, except to say I am glad cops are okay and glad I am not a Chicago cop.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    I have often observed that a significant number of videos show an officer who goes it alone when he or she should have help. I'm not familiar with the San Antonio Police Department, but it is a large, urban agency. Why start pulling any of the three hinky people out of a vehicle without back-up there with you? ... or wait for back-up before starting anything other than the traffic stop introduction

... A second officer on scene would have been way helpful. A second officer might have deterred the attack or ended it early on.
    It's almost like we as a profession should develop something like Contact/Cover? I've got no idea what else was going on in the city, that area at that time. The visible behavior of the driver and the described behavior of the passenger yell for at least a second officer pretty quick.

I don't know all of the case law decisions, but I tried to remember the ones I really needed for the road. Why do I have to do this? SCOTUS and Mims, SCOTUS and (fill in the blank), is what allows me to do this. Now please get out of the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    My understanding is that CPD policy requires officers to decide ... I am told the initial contact was based on a shotspotter report, but he had a gun visible at that point which I think is a no-no in Chicago, so....?

I am reporting what I understand to be policy and making no personal comments about the policy or the shooting incident, except to say I am glad cops are okay and glad I am not a Chicago cop.
    I'd forgotten about the foot pursuit issue. Thank you for that.

Elsewhere I typed up a review of things I thought could be improved upon, such as: tactics before & after, verbal commands, backdrop concerns. Included in it was a bit on split times too.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    I really hope that fairies are real and unicorns, too. As we have discussed, the political realities are driving officers' responses, not sound tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    No, because that was never universally true. Mayberry is a lie.
    While Mayberry might have been a lie, for those of us that started with revolvers, oderint dum metuant was a thing. Some cops, when they showed up on scene, had a calming effect on suspect actions, based on their street cred. This also worked with different agencies. In a particular project about a mile from where I grew up, one PD would get bottles and 'air mail", whereas the jurisdiction to the immediate south would not even have to leave a cop to watch their cars when they chased suspects into or out of said public housing. Guess which agency wound up using more force on calls?

My first beat when I started solo patrol after FTO was in the NE corner of our city. It was 23 square miles. It was bigger then the other District. I assisted Maricopa County Deputies a lot. My agency has a reputation for not being shy about using force as it did when I started. But people knew not to mess with MCSO.

We got called to assist SO on a big desert party estimated at 500. SO asked us to assist them on the road leading out basically to keep people moving. I was in a spot where there was a Deputy was between two Officers from my agency. A carload would drive by the other Officer and shit talk, not a peep when they drove by the Deputy, and shit talk me when they passed.

I’m a firm believer in if criminals know violence will be met with enough reasonable force right away to end the violence it’s a huge deterrent.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    My first beat when I started solo patrol after FTO was in the NE corner of our city. It was 23 square miles. It was bigger then the other District. I assisted Maricopa County Deputies a lot. My agency has a reputation for not being shy about using force as it did when I started. But people knew not to mess with MCSO.

We got called to assist SO on a big desert party estimated at 500. SO asked us to assist them on the road leading out basically to keep people moving. I was in a spot where there was a Deputy was between two Officers from my agency. A carload would drive by the other Officer and shit talk, not a peep when they drove by the Deputy, and shit talk me when they passed.

I’m a firm believer in if criminals know violence will be met with enough reasonable force right away to end the violence it’s a huge deterrent.
    There's something to the old "wait until your father gets home". I can attest to that.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List