Page 83 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Cooking (smoking, grilling, barbecuing, open spit, etc.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Sams is choice angus. Is that better or worse?
    If the Sams is choice angus I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if it looks like a decent cut.

Site Supporter
    I smoked a 10lb butt last week, and normally I would get out the shop vac and clean out the cinders after a 14 hour smoke, but, I was lazy this morning at o-dark:30. I reached into the fire pot, dumped the cinders into the bottom of the barrel and turned the thing on start.

10 minutes later, nothing. Not a puff of smoke.

Turns out I must have fat-fingered the igniter and knocked it back into the tube far enough to prevent ignition. All I had was a pot full of pellets, with just a few of them burned, so, I knew the igniter was getting hot. Easy enough to fix..... except.... when I pulled the pot there wasn't enough line to reach the set screw. When I tried to take off the panel to see where the snag was, 7 of 8 screws came out and the last one stripped. Well, at least I could turn the panel enough to get inside and see that whoever did the assembly wire tied the igniter line together with all the other wires . Realizing that I was not on a great tack this morning, I was EXTREMELY careful about cutting the zip tie. About an hour later than I planned, I finally got Wife's turkey breasts and fish going.

FYI... Turkey tenderloins are on sale at Kroger this week for $4.99 (usually $8.99). Wife loves these and they freeze well after smoking, so, I made a bunch.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Did a chicken today on our Big Green Egg. My wife gave me a ceramic roaster for Christmas. Filled the roaster with chicken stock, rubbed the bird with Dillo Dust. Set the vents so the temp was about 250*, added some wood chips, smoked it until the temperature in the breast was 160*, and voila.... dinner!Name:  648F5F65-246D-4C85-9F5B-C516C1E43F5A.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  49.2 KB

Yeah, the bird is listing to port. It was a little bit bigger than the roaster was designed for. Great flavor and very juicy.

Pit Boss PB5000SP

Anyone gone hands on with this yet?
    I like the size, and at $499.00 local price I find it interesting.
    https://pitboss-grills.com/Shop-Pit-...ertical-smoker
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Amazing ribs seems to like it
    https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...ertical-smoker
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

One of my friends has the older copper version of that smoker. It puts out some pretty decent smoked meats that aren’t to heavy on the smoke flavor and not too light either. I’ve had pulled pork, turkey and brisket off that pit at least 15 times and all have been very enjoyable and I always had seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter
    The review Rob posted points out a few flaws with the execution (I would be particularly worried about the delamination of the control panel covering), but otherwise, it looks like quite a good unit, especially if you're tight for space. Also, the glass door on the only vertical smoker with glass door that I've seen in use (friend owned it) was totally obscured after a handful of uses. Cleaning the door after every use doesn't sound like fun at all. Not necessarily a bad thing, but, I would not count on the glass door providing much of a view for very long. It's quite spacious inside. Quite a bit bigger than the electric (wood chips) smoker I owned a few years ago. The bigger space and pellets instead of chips are definitely a huge step up from that one.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Now that my Christmas flat top is fairly well seasoned, does anyone have any interesting griddle recipes I should try?

I'll make smash burgers later in the week once the weather warms up a bit. Picked up a cast iron press and a steamer cover already.
    Wife found a few tricksy burrito folding videos on Tik-Tok we'll try. I'm planning to make some sweet potato hash as well.
    Made beef fajitas again using Flat Iron steak.... My family enjoyed it way better than any skirt steak version I've made previously.

What else besides bacon, pancakes and eggs?

Side note: An IR thermometer makes things much easier. Feels like cheating.

(Onions with red and jalapeño peppers.)
    Name:  Grilled Onions.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  92.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Now that my Christmas flat top is fairly well seasoned, does anyone have any interesting griddle recipes I should try?

I'll make smash burgers later in the week once the weather warms up a bit. Picked up a cast iron press and a steamer cover already.
    Wife found a few tricksy burrito folding videos on Tik-Tok we'll try. I'm planning to make some sweet potato hash as well.
    Made beef fajitas again using Flat Iron steak.... My family enjoyed it way better than any skirt steak version I've made previously.

What else besides bacon, pancakes and eggs?

Side note: An IR thermometer makes things much easier. Feels like cheating.

(Onions with red and jalapeño peppers.)
    Name:  Grilled Onions.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  92.3 KB
    Grilled cheese sandwiches
    Quesadilla
    Pressed burritos
    Stir fry and fried rice
    Philly cheese steaks
    Breakfast potatoes/hash browns
    Bacon wrapped grilled cheese sandwiches
    French toast
    Split dogs/bratwurst
    Cuban sandwiches
    Panini
    Various fried noodle dishes

AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    Grilled cheese sandwiches
    Quesadilla
    Pressed burritos
    Stir fry and fried rice
    Philly cheese steaks
    Breakfast potatoes/hash browns
    Bacon wrapped grilled cheese sandwiches
    French toast
    Split dogs/bratwurst
    Cuban sandwiches
    Panini
    Various fried noodle dishes

Most of the pressed ideas are on the radar, but, PHILLY CHEESE STEAKS! were not... And that one jogs the memory for Bulgogi.

Fried noodles were not on the list either, thanks!
    Any recipes you particularly like for fried noodles? Especially spicy and/or Asian.

Is it time for lunch yet?

User Tag List