Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Veterans granted free lifetime passes to National Parks

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    My wife received a similar access after her disabling stroke in 1999.
    We have used it in several areas in VA and hopefully one day in more places as ‘Rona has shut our travel down for the time being.
    Glad to see vets get this.
    Well deserved.
    This would apply to Skyline drive, right?

If so.......

.........sweet.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    This would apply to Skyline drive, right?

If so.......

.........sweet.
    Yes. Drove up to Loft Mountain two weeks ago.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    All the revoking of military stuff that Obama did didn't seem to hurt him.
    I was AD during Obama’s first term, and newly retired in his second. I don’t remember him revoking any privileges for AD or retirees. What actions do you remember?

This is a good start. How about lifetime exemption of federal income tax for combat-deployed vets?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    This is a good start. How about lifetime exemption of federal income tax for combat-deployed vets?
    I think the place to start would be a tax exemption for those who are currently enlisted. Combat deployed veterans would be a easy step forward from there.

Then all the crying over what's a combat deployment and what isn't can reach a real fever pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    This might sound a little bitchy, but I don't think we need to be romoving veteran skin from the societal game.
    We signed up to do a job willingly, were compensated, and given "free" schooling in return. It's one thing to hold some VA feet to the fire and have a cool perk here and there, but essentially saying "You did your 4 years, now we don't expect anything further from you, and you'll also be isolated from the financial consequences of political and societal change"?

Maybe I'm just jaded with respect to the "thank me for my service" attitudes I've seen. But I'm over it. Thanks for serving....what the fuck are you doing for your country and community today?

ETA: that wasn't directed at anyone on this forum, just a general statement.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrotechnic View Post
    This might sound a little bitchy, but I don't think we need to be romoving veteran skin from the societal game.
    We signed up to do a job willingly, were compensated, and given "free" schooling in return. It's one thing to hold some VA feet to the fire and have a cool perk here and there, but essentially saying "You did your 4 years, now we don't expect anything further from you, and you'll also be isolated from the financial consequences of political and societal change"?

Maybe I'm just jaded with respect to the "thank me for my service" attitudes I've seen. But I'm over it. Thanks for serving....what the fuck are you doing for your country and community today?

ETA: that wasn't directed at anyone on this forum, just a general statement.
    100% agreed, coming from the perspective of a retired vet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pyrotechnic View Post
    In my limited experience, most people with this attitude didn't do shit. The ones that did don't advertise it and don't ask for anything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Tag List