Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Sawzall?

I have the 20v Porter Cable tools. The batteries seem to hold a charge for a long while. I have the grinder and does very well but it is a power hog and will deplete the small battery in just a minute or so. I have cut the top off of a 55 gallon drum just using the big battery. Wasn't much juice left ant the end. A log chain stays in my truck. I have pulled trees and stalled cars out of the road and never had to cut either one. I guess one could pull a fence down too. I prefer the heavy chain over these new fangled tow straps.

I have a 20V B&D with a variety of DeWalt blades, as well as Skil "The Ugly" blades for cutting limbs and small trees and growth. It's a great tool that comes in handy.

Have never left it in the vehicle, however.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Bad things like cable whip like a winch cable snapping? Would sand bags on the cable eliminate that concern?

I'm not figuring on cutting them for shits and giggles, more like a "to avoid deadly force" type scenario. At that point a crew having to fix it isn't in my decision making matrix.
    The wrecks iv seen on those only the section getting hit was damaged. The cables were up on either side of the wreck which makes me think they are secured to each upright. If thats the case then i would think cutting it right at the post would be safest.

If its just one long cable then its definitely going to give before you cut all the way through it.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Bad things like cable whip like a winch cable snapping? Would sand bags on the cable eliminate that concern?

I'm not figuring on cutting them for shits and giggles, more like a "to avoid deadly force" type scenario. At that point a crew having to fix it isn't in my decision making matrix.
    Apparently they can be cut with no threat.

https://www.firehouse.com/rescue/veh...ation-training

Yes, cable whip and the cable can explode, for lack of better terms, at the cut sending out shrapnel. Sand bags cant help that part. If I was on an interstate and could not drive forward or backward in the lanes I'm in and the angry mob is coming, its time to E&E on foot. Theses systems are designed to keep 80,000 pounds on its side of the road. If you happen to be close to an anchor a large adjustable wrench would be better than a cutting tool.

Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    Yes, cable whip and the cable can explode, for lack of better terms, at the cut sending out shrapnel. Sand bags cant help that part. If I was on an interstate and could not drive forward or backward in the lanes I'm in and the angry mob is coming, its time to E&E on foot. Theses systems are designed to keep 80,000 pounds on its side of the road. If you happen to be close to an anchor a large adjustable wrench would be better than a cutting tool.
    Ive got to ask have you cut or seen cut a high tension cable. The article I linked to had three different ways of cutting and nothing in the article detailed the kind of threat you are detailing.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    This is probably not a credit to my maturity, but now I really want to see one of these cables explode.

Youtube don't fail me now...

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Apparently they can be cut with no threat.

https://www.firehouse.com/rescue/veh...ation-training

"Responders may think that cutting the cable to gain better access is the easy and logical thing to do. It is easy, but it is very dangerous unless done correctly. Cutting a tensioned steel cable, although possible with a rotary saw or a hydraulic power cutter, should not be the rescue team’s “Plan A” tactic; it should be your last-resort tactic! When there are life-threatening injuries and the patients cannot be extricated without cutting the cables, there is a recommended procedure that is explained later in this column."

This is from the article written in 2011. My latest training on this was last fall and and cutting is now taboo even as a last resort. We still dont say "never" because it is an option but we find it takes the same amount of time to go to an anchor point. We have preplanned this and we know where they are at. We have all the necessary tools and stuff on the firetruck there is no way I wouldn't even have close to what I would need in my POV.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    This is probably not a credit to my maturity, but now I really want to see one of these cables explode.

Youtube don't fail me now...

There are video's and you could call it rapid fraying or untwisting.

User Tag List