Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I going to get kilt in the streetz if I don't have NODs?

I have them, both Sentinels and PVS14's, along with the full power lasers and accessories to make them useful for gun fighting. I teach their use both for the Marine Corps and assist a local training company here in Jacksonville with their Mil/Le enrollment classes as a aggressor for force on force and adjunct instructor/ gofer.... I've been to multiple training course both .mil and private to learn to run these things. I was also integrally involved in the field testing of PVS 31's for USMC FMF Infantry unit adoption and had one of the first rifle companies to deploy with PVS31's instead of PVS14's. I've done track nights on NOD's to familiarize myself with driving under them as well with both tactical vehicles and POV's. Just so you all know where I am coming from...

If you have never run them I really can't explain it to you, Dual tube systems are where it is at. Under the Sentinels or the 31's I can run at nearly full speed and maneuver / fight / manipulate the guns and gear/ transition to pistol, operate vehicles. On the single tube system it is slower and I have much less depth perception, I don't like fighting under single tube NOD's, but they are acceptable for maneuver, limited static observation and static shooting, I won't drive on them at all....tried it, all over the track or had to go too slow to be worth the effort vice headlights, plus you will end up with a splitting headache....at least I did.

Rifles need to be set up to prioritize the switchology of the aiming lasers, many will not do this and it shows with their split times and operation of the rifle once the sun goes down. I learned the hard way about DG switches for surefire X300's on pistols as well at night under NOD's, IE: don't do it.... RDS pistols come into their own at night as well. But you can still run iron sighted pistols, by lifting your head up slightly. You need IR illumination on your weapons. otherwise you will not be able to see into shadows very easily or very far. Other shooters can also push IR illum for you to engage under as well.

If you are going to go down this rabbit hole then also ensure that you select day optics that are NVG capable, so that at night you can use them for targeting under NOD's when you do not want to emit any IR spectrum light. Anyone else with NOD's (or a IPHONE) can see you as well once you fire up the laser. Remember, Laser on target, Engage, Laser off, Move.... Thermals are awesome for detecting movement, or security work but once a threat is located I prefer to engage under NOD's and not thermals. I'm not a hunter so I can't speak to that application.

All of this said.... only you can determine if the juice is worth the squeeze for you, If I didn't use them for work and if my one guilty pleasure hobby wasn't going to training classes then I don't think I would need them, and I could have saved a bunch of money (who am I kidding, I just would have bought even more guns instead...) All the guys I regularly shoot and train with down here have either dual tubes or a 14 and DBAL's at a minimum, either personal or in the case of some Cop friends, dept issued... Everyone is also rocking suppressors as well. I'm not sure about the value add if you are the only one in your group with them other than as a novelty.

NOD's are probably one of the most fun things you can do with guns, short of belt feds with free ammo.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    All of this said.... only you can determine if the juice is worth the squeeze for you, If I didn't use them for work and if my one guilty pleasure hobby wasn't going to training classes then I don't think I would need them, and I could have saved a bunch of money (who am I kidding, I just would have bought even more guns instead...) All the guys I regularly shoot and train with down here have either dual tubes or a 14 and DBAL's at a minimum, either personal or in the case of some Cop friends, dept issued... Everyone is also rocking suppressors as well. I'm not sure about the value add if you are the only one in your group with them other than as a novelty.

NOD's are probably one of the most fun things you can do with guns, short of belt feds with free ammo.
    Oh, they're fun as hell. If I made as little as half again what I do now, I'd likely have bought my own by now just for shiggles.

It's when you get the guys saying things like "Well, I guess entertainment and craft beer is more important to you than SHTF TEOTWAWKI, or you'd have save up for NODs!" is when I start rolling my eyes. Yes, having an enjoyable life is more important to me than a thing that probably won't happen the way we think it will happen, and even if it does happen, due to my current living arrangements a set of NODs will be of very little use to me.

It's that classic thing you run into on gun forums constantly, where someone has convinced themselves and/or their significant other that the expenditure of vast sums of money on ever more esoteric bits of gear and training is a completely necessary lifesaving expense. Therefore anyone not doing likewise directly threatens their id.

Not necessarily speaking to anyone here, but I'll bet nine out of ten people who own NVG's couldn't tell you the brand of fire extinguisher that is under their kitchen sink or how many years ago it expired, just like most people who own ballistic helmets probably don't own AEDs.

Christ, I sound like rob_s.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Christ, I sound like rob_s.
    We're gonna have to put her down now
    #RESIST

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    It's that classic thing you run into on gun forums constantly, where someone has convinced themselves and/or their significant other that the expenditure of vast sums of money on ever more esoteric bits of gear and training is a completely necessary lifesaving expense. Therefore anyone not doing likewise directly threatens their id.
    Weird how NODs don't prevent cardiovascular disease... Just like everything else that I want, dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My tinnitus says suppressors are not a LARP purchase.

In a TEOTWAKI scenario a suppressor has the advantage of helping mask your location when shooting regardless of lighting conditions. Nor does it require batteries or a complex and perishable skill set and they are cheaper than NODS.

NODS are fun, and as fellow PVS7 user, in the land of the blind men, the one eyed man is king, but there is a learning curve and there are limitations to single tube NODS.
    Shrug, I’ve got tinnitus as well (from the Marine Corps and being shot inside of a vehicle) but I feel like a god at night with my 7Bs and a DBAL D2. Sure, I’ll be dead in the post apocalyptic future after Trump wins a third term, but it might take a while to run out of AA batteries for my NODs
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I’ve never been in a blacked out city, so you got me there. But I assume chances are rare that you’d have to go outside at night if the whole city has a blackout. What’re you doing that’s giving you awareness of what’s going on outside? If it’s just peeking out a window, sure NODs would help, but I still fail to see how they’d be of great significance unless you’re planning on running a whole bunch of patrols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I could see camping out and going "Oh look, there's dudes going door-to-door on my block", or keeping an eye on what's going on in your bigass apartment plaza-complex thing. I don't particularly know whether NODs would truly work for that, because I didn't go to the NODs class. And I don't know what you'd do with that information, because I didn't go to Small Unit Warfare Summer Camp. Or even if night vision would provide you with much more useful information than just keeping your ears open.

For that reason alone, I would put night vision and thermal waaaaaaaaaaaaay the hell down the priorities list. And I mean, I'm gonna die horribly, I don't even have a plate carrier or a Sig Rattler.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    We're gonna have to put her down now
    #WhatRoundForTam
    #RESIST

Maybe one of you smart guys can post a link to “this is the PVS14 setup you should buy” because I tried doing a bit of research and holy crap it seems complicated. White or green and tube generations, etc. etc. my brain is full already with useless tactical nonsense.

So rather than learning another new language, can anyone recommend the “glock and 6920” Answer to the 14s?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post

"You're gonna need a bigger gun!"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The Sionyx can be attached to a helmet mount, why not these as an entry/toy-around NODs setup?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XJ86Q8G
    #RESIST

User Tag List