Thread: Wiley-X Prescription Shooting Glasses

Site Supporter

Wiley-X Prescription Shooting Glasses

It's time for me to get new glasses, and I wanted to get some prescription shooting glasses as well. As a retired Soldier, I'm eligible for Wiley-X's military discount program. Does anyone have experience with these? Which frames have worked well for you? Since I live in an area where <80% humidity is considered "dry", any input on how well they resist fogging?

Thanks!

I have the Wiley-X worksite line profile frames which come with the ballistic rated lenses (prescription).

I have had them for a couple months and I am extremely happy so far. The frames are solid but actually lightweight and the lenses are just clear but have uv blocker and came with some anti fog coating. They also came with a bottle of anti fog solution and a side protectors that can be mounted.

On my past glasses I'd usually run Cat Crap but haven't had to with these ones yet. Basically I haven't had any fogging issues so far and I live in the land of 300% humidity and hold my beer weather.

Also I qualify for their mil/le discount but actually ended up going through frames direct because they had an online coupon that all said and done was cheaper including the prescription lenses then using the mil/le discount.

I like the Wiley-X wrap around, "Climate Control" models. The CC models feature a pop-in foam gasket that helps seal the glasses to your face. Great for windy days that would otherwise dry out your eyes, also super for dusty environs. Fogging is the same as with regular eyeglasses, no better or worse.

Which model? It depends on your head and nose size/shape. I highly recommend trying on frames locally if possible. There's really no other way to know. The Wiley-X website should list local vendors.

I've an L/XL head and in the past I had 3 of the Jake model (discontinued?), now using 3prs of the Tide model. Jake was just a touch big, Tide is perfect snug and lighter weight than the Jake. I wear them at work as well as the range, two pairs with clear lenses, one pair sunglasses. 95% of the time without the gasket.

If you don't already know, pupillary distance (PD) is a huge factor; the corrective lens is centered on where your pupil will be. Of course it differs near (eyes slightly crossed) to far (eyes straight ahead). Far PD is normal for pistol and rifle shooting; prone shooting is an interesting case. Stick-on eyepads can help move glasses up a bit. Also it is not uncommon to have differing Left and Right PD offset. My regular optometrist refused to assist with PD specifics unless they were making the glasses.

All of mine have been made mail order by Phillips Safety aka rx-safety.com.
    Huge fan of anti-reflective and anti-scratch coatings. I have no idea why premium non-Rx eye pro doesn't have AR as well.

You might look into "digitally" corrected lenses as well. They are laser-formed for your prescription and a bit better for off-axis view.

Oakley also has mil discount and they seem much more widely available locally.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I've used the non-prescription version in conditions ranging from sand storms to "wintry mix" and have zero complaints about Wiley-X products.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Did I mention they make you look like a modern day Mike Vining (light because well neither the actor or I are the real Mike Vining).

Name:  Screenshot-2018-4-11 Adam on Instagram “New wileyx spectacles #belikevining #mikevining #stevefo.jpg
Views: 2927
Size:  40.2 KB

The real Mike Vining!

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    As a retired Soldier, I'm eligible for Wiley-X's military discount program.
    Wait! What?

Link?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    Did I mention they make you look like a modern day Mike Vining (light because well neither the actor or I are the real Mike Vining).

Name:  Screenshot-2018-4-11 Adam on Instagram “New wileyx spectacles #belikevining #mikevining #stevefo.jpg
Views: 2927
Size:  40.2 KB

The real Mike Vining!

Literally been looking for these this morning.

Ordering

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Site Supporter
    I got a pair of WileyX Omegas with prescription lenses last year. They took a little bit of adjustment vs regular glasses: the curvature is very different.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've used the non-prescription version in conditions ranging from sand storms to "wintry mix" and have zero complaints about Wiley-X products.
    Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    I like the Wiley-X wrap around, "Climate Control" models. The CC models feature a pop-in foam gasket that helps seal the glasses to your face. Great for windy days that would otherwise dry out your eyes, also super for dusty environs. Fogging is the same as with regular eyeglasses, no better or worse.

Which model? It depends on your head and nose size/shape. I highly recommend trying on frames locally if possible. There's really no other way to know. The Wiley-X website should list local vendors.

I've an L/XL head and in the past I had 3 of the Jake model (discontinued?), now using 3prs of the Tide model. Jake was just a touch big, Tide is perfect snug and lighter weight than the Jake. I wear them at work as well as the range, two pairs with clear lenses, one pair sunglasses. 95% of the time without the gasket.
    Same here. The Airrage fit me well, but now it seems that the black frame/gray lens is no longer available polarized (lost my work pair! ). Looking to Oakley now.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List