Page 158 of 241 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168208 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 2406

Thread: Sippin' Bourbon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    I don't drink, and when I do I usually take rum. However, I've been left under the impression that whiskey, specifically bourbon, seems to be the majority preference in the training community.

Attachment 59225Attachment 59226

Is this okay or could I have done better? Give it to me straight, because I know you guys are good about being honest when the quality of something is fantastic but not at the price point if the hype jacks it up.
    Makers makes some good Bourbons, although they're not among my personal favorites. It's more a palate preference than a quality thing. I'd love to try this one. I find that many times a higher or barrel proof version makes a big difference in flavor. Less dilution before bottling. I was recently impressed with the Russels Reserve Single Barrel, although I'm not a fan of their other offerings, for example.

I don't think you've done bad on this one at all.... If you find you like it, try the Maker's 46. One of the better Maker's products I've tried.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    Found these two today....

Attachment 59093
    Tried these yet?

The Brimstone is pretty unique. Very smoky.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I have and I like them both a lot. I think for the price, the True Blue has a lot to offer. At 100 proof, it has a nice initial bite to it then smooths out nicely. I can see myself buying that again for sure.

The Brimstone is my new favorite. I really love the smokey flavor of that one. It's not something I will drink everyday, but it is one that would be for that special occasion. I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Tried these yet?

The Brimstone is pretty unique. Very smoky.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

My lovely wife gifted me a bottle of Angel's Envy (Rum Cask) Finished Rye.

Photo from breakingbourbon.com (click link for their tasting notes)

I've never tasted anything from AE before. My impression has always been that AE is more about marketing to achieve an inflated price point than they are about quality, but, if you ever tell my wife I said that, I'll deny it.

Apparently, this is a very difficult bottle to get. We broke the seal over the weekend and it's quite good, although way overpriced, IMO. It's a nicely textured, nicely spicy (100proof) Rye with a very big Rum flavored finish. Almost as if you mixed Rye and Rum 60/40.

The BB tasting notes are on point.

I'm happy to savor this for a while. WifeGBiv FTW

We have that available in NH, I've seen it.

Yes, a bit pricey
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    Found these two today....

Attachment 59093
    Love Balcones!

If you like Brimstone I recommend you try High West Campfire.

Balcones Texas Single Malt is still my all time favorite

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Be sure to try the new Lineage.

Site Supporter
    I haven't tried the Rye.

I rather like the Port finished bourbon. It's on the sweet side, but I'm okay with that.

It's also a solidly available, easily accessible, solid bottle at a reasonable/slightly expensive price point for a gift, especially a non-bourbon aficionado. Just in case you may need one of those. For a bourbon drinker, I'd give them something different. But dear god, don't let them mix it with Dr. Pepper or something.

My lovely wife gifted me a bottle of Angel's Envy (Rum Cask) Finished Rye.

Photo from breakingbourbon.com (click link for their tasting notes)

I've never tasted anything from AE before. My impression has always been that AE is more about marketing to achieve an inflated price point than they are about quality, but, if you ever tell my wife I said that, I'll deny it.

Apparently, this is a very difficult bottle to get. We broke the seal over the weekend and it's quite good, although way overpriced, IMO. It's a nicely textured, nicely spicy (100proof) Rye with a very big Rum flavored finish. Almost as if you mixed Rye and Rum 60/40.

The BB tasting notes are on point.

I'm happy to savor this for a while. WifeGBiv FTW

Site Supporter
    Makers makes some good Bourbons, although they're not among my personal favorites. It's more a palate preference than a quality thing. I'd love to try this one. I find that many times a higher or barrel proof version makes a big difference in flavor. Less dilution before bottling. I was recently impressed with the Russels Reserve Single Barrel, although I'm not a fan of their other offerings, for example.

I don't think you've done bad on this one at all.... If you find you like it, try the Maker's 46. One of the better Maker's products I've tried.
    Yep, Maker's 46 is actually pretty good. I tried their cask strength recently and liked that as well. And I normally prefer the family of bourbons from the Buffalo Trace distillery.

Awesome thank you, will look for it!!

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Love Balcones!

If you like Brimstone I recommend you try High West Campfire.

www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Site Supporter
    Scored some Weller, which has been hard to find locally. Not my favorite, but I do enjoy it.

User Tag List