Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Important climate change warning

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Natures way of thinning the herd. Think of it as a warm boot.
    I was going to go with "Zeus hurling lightning bolts at CA because of serial lowball special effects budgeting for greek mythos films over the last 50 years," but yeah, ‘nature’ is probably a better working theory.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    I'm less comfortable with future predictions than with the past because there are so many variables at play. Most past predictions have overestimated the effects largely due to the earth's seeming ability to self-regulate to some extent. For instance, when ocean temperatures rise more water evaporates and creates clouds and clouds do a pretty good job reflecting the sun's rays, cooling off. Likewise as glaciers melt they often leave behind lush land that increases carbon sequestration. And if the polar ice caps melt, the earth's rotation will probably change in ways that affect how much of the sun's energy the earth absorbs.

That said, my best guess is that even if we immediately stopped emitting carbon temperatures will still rise over the next 50-100 years. I imagine it like being on the interstate and taking your foot off the gas -- you coast for a while before coming to a stop.

I think the most rational course of action is to prepare for less hospitable weather in the future. I do not see all of mankind having the will to make the kinds of changes that would otherwise be considered best practice. Part of that is basic fairness: the US and western world benefited from 150 years of cheap hydrocarbons -- we built our societies on it. Is it really fair to cut off India and China's rapid industrial growth before they get a chance to catch up?

The largest source of uncertainty is in historic temperature measurement. Mankind has had accurate thermometers for only 300 years and they were widely used only in the last 150 or so years. So scientists have to resort to proxies for temperature: tree rings, coral reef growth, ice cores, etc. These are imperfect: sometimes trees grow quickly even when it is cold (or slowly when it is hot). Each proxy has a range of error. By using multiple proxies, you reduce the errors, but the possible range of temperature is still wide.

Here is the famous "hockey stick" graph from the late 1990s with the grey/light blue zone being the extremes possible and the dark blue & green lines being predicted actual temperatures:

Attachment 47691

You can see that it is technically possible that from ~1125 to ~1175 and from ~1450 to ~1500 the earth may have had as sharp of a temperature change as it has in the last 50 years. It is unlikely - that would mean going from one extreme outlier immediately to the other - but it is within the range of possibilities.
    Thank you again for your replies. I've seen the 'hockey stick' graph before. I've looked at both pro and anti warming sites as well as sites talking about the use of climate change as a stalking horse or means of funding the global governance initiatives. It's an interesting quandary with many factions in play.

I'm a skeptic but also have an interest in never returning to "rivers that catch on fire" like we had in the 70's as I have grandchildren. It's funny that when Obama was first campaigning, he was pro-CNG for the private vehicle fleet and as soon as he was in, that idea was never heard again and we went with battery technology for increasing mileage. I also think there is great potential for moving away from traditional power generation by advances in nuclear power technology.

Again, I appreciate your time and the information!
    Last edited by FNFAN; 01-25-2020 at 01:39 PM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    Unfortunately, the climate change debate has become polarized between liberal and conservative ideology. Hence, it is an extremely politicized debate. I hesitate to use Rush L or Al G as credible information sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I remember when it was first published on XKCD. Not that posting it will have much effect on this thread.
    When someone as obstinate as @RevolverRob has given up preaching on climate change, despite that being his actual academic specialty, it really says a lot about just how entrenched people are on the issue. Remember this? https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....nmental-idiocy

Honestly, I feel like this thread is detrimental to the forum as a whole. The lead admin throws down a clickbait image, without context, and we have the majority of posters joining in the anti-CC echo chamber. This does nothing but reinforce the views of the skeptics, furtherer alienate those on this board that do believe in anthropogenic climate change, and seemingly makes obvious the forum leadership's view on a highly partisan topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    When someone as obstinate as @RevolverRob has given up preaching on climate change, despite that being his actual academic specialty, it really says a lot about just how entrenched people are on the issue. Remember this? https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....nmental-idiocy

Honestly, I feel like this thread is detrimental to the forum as a whole. The lead admin throws down a clickbait image, without context, and we have the majority of posters joining in the anti-CC echo chamber. This does nothing but reinforce the views of the skeptics, furtherer alienate those on this board that do believe in anthropogenic climate change, and seemingly makes obvious the forum leadership's view on a highly partisan topic.
    Personally, I have no idea to what degree either side is correct and I give credit to the other members of this forum, (by and large), for having the intelligence and skepticism to be open minded either way...despite making jokes (or gallows humor) about the topic.

Besides, if you actually read @RevolverRob posts, you'll realize that he's an expert on every subject under the sun and therefore take the veracity of his comments accordingly. (Sorry, RR, low hanging fruit. I mean you were the one complaining about Ellifritz having opinions about everything. )
    There's nothing civil about this war.

So long as we are taking things seriously, I’ll just leave this one here:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    So long as we are taking things seriously, I’ll just leave this one here:

Clearly, that one runs on gas.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I really am undecided on all of this.
    Given the data it is perfectly reasonable to have skepticism, but I see it like Pascal's wager: weigh consequences of being wrong against the reasonableness of the extra effort.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Clearly, that one runs on gas.
    A wide variety of grades too. It runs on the spectrum.

User Tag List