Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which DA .22

The LCR 22 isn't bad at all, good action, visable sights and feel's good while it's being shot. If I still carried a J Frame or were carrying an LCR I'd go this route. That said though the longer barreled SP-101 would be the more versitle of the two for mixed training and field use. I'm waiting to see if Ruger decides to go the "kit gun' route with the 22 LR LCR before I purchase one, it'd make a nice 2 3/4"-4" field gun.

My choice is the S&W 317 kit gun, with adjustable sights and the 3 point something inch barrel. I define my mission as having a DA .22 revolver, that I can use for trigger control while steering the sights, especially one hand shooting, to augment my center fire semi-auto shooting. I want a revolver that allows me to adjust the sights so I am POA/POI, so that when I miss steel, I know it is my trigger control or sight alignment, and not the fault of the fixed sights, for example, on my model 43. I also want the revolver to be light weight, as the 317 is, to avoid stress on my elbows, and for this reason don't use my 617.

For the last 3 or 4 weeks, I have started each center fire pistol session with 100 rounds of rimfire thru the 317, and sometimes only shot sessions with the 317, and it has made an enormous difference in my support hand only shooting. I couldn't imagine shooting a LEM without regularly training with a DA .22 revolver, although I need to make a mental transition back to the Glock, so I am not surprised on the first shot with the Glock after a bunch of DA .22 revolver shooting.

Sounds like the 317 is the favorite so far.

For those of you who have one, how have they held up under extended use? (I'm sure HH's has at least a couple of rounds through it )
    How do the triggers compare to those on a .38 version?
    "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    For those of you who have one, how have they held up under extended use? (I'm sure HH's has at least a couple of rounds through it )
    More rounds than I have counted. Mine has a trigger that is comparable to a .38. But I put in a Wilson Spring Kit and bobbed the hammer. Funny that it still goes off with astonishing regularity, even though I'm told it's not supposed to.
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    More rounds than I have counted. Mine has a trigger that is comparable to a .38. But I put in a Wilson Spring Kit and bobbed the hammer. Funny that it still goes off with astonishing regularity, even though I'm told it's not supposed to.
    Thanks, glad to know it's similar. I changed out the return-spring on my 442 which made an appreciable difference. That would definitely be on the to-do list with the 317.
    "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

I have a stainless steel, three inch, Charter Arms Pathfinder .22. It's an older one that was refurbished at the current factory.
    Works well, shoots accurately, and is a good understudy gun for my .38s snubs in J and K frame. It has adjustable sights and the snubs do not, but otherwise they are real close in feel.

Might be an option.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    Mine has gone through several 550 round boxes of ammo. It still functions about as well as you can expect such a device to function in the first place.

Rimfire ammo is notoriously unreliable in terms of ignition and consistency, so you can expect to experience quite a few dud rounds or rounds that need a second strike to fire if you shoot the bulk stuff. Also expect malformed rounds.

My 317 needs to be cleaned at least every couple of boxes of ammo as the crud builds up on the gun to the point where it begins to impact the ability to fully seat the rounds in the chambers, which causes them to stick up from the recesses in the chambers just a bit, which causes the cylinder to bind. The gap between the frame and the cylinder is very tiny so you don't have a lot of room to play with there. My 317 got grody enough after several boxes of ammo with no PM that the cylinder locked up tight and I needed a rubber mallet to get the thing open again.

As for the trigger, the trigger on my 442 is actually smoother than the trigger on my 317. As the gun gets dirtier the quality of the trigger pull degrades because the cylinder gets that much harder to turn.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Mine has gone through several 550 round boxes of ammo. It still functions about as well as you can expect such a device to function in the first place.

Rimfire ammo is notoriously unreliable in terms of ignition and consistency, so you can expect to experience quite a few dud rounds or rounds that need a second strike to fire if you shoot the bulk stuff. Also expect malformed rounds.

My 317 needs to be cleaned at least every couple of boxes of ammo as the crud builds up on the gun to the point where it begins to impact the ability to fully seat the rounds in the chambers, which causes them to stick up from the recesses in the chambers just a bit, which causes the cylinder to bind. The gap between the frame and the cylinder is very tiny so you don't have a lot of room to play with there. My 317 got grody enough after several boxes of ammo with no PM that the cylinder locked up tight and I needed a rubber mallet to get the thing open again.

As for the trigger, the trigger on my 442 is actually smoother than the trigger on my 317. As the gun gets dirtier the quality of the trigger pull degrades because the cylinder gets that much harder to turn.
    Interesting, I wonder if it is ammo related, or something about your 317. In the month I have been shooting my 317, I am between 4,000 and 5,000 rounds of Federal and CCI JHP's, have yet to clean it, and it is functioning fine?

TC, when did you get your 317? I went through several of the older S&Ws looking for one that would go for a couple of hundred rounds. I finally got my 617 and 63, both of which run fine.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I bought it a couple of years ago.

User Tag List