Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doom Eternal (and Doom 2016)

I haven’t played Doom 2016 since it came out. I bet I’d look great on the new screen.

Name:  025647BC-7746-471B-B7C7-9CDCBFF26469.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  67.4 KB

Site Supporter
    Funny timing on this. Nintendo just cut the price on Doom, Doom II, and Doom 3 for the Switch, so I bought Doom II and Doom 3 to play on my kids' Switch. I played a Doom II deathmatch against Thing 1 last night.

Switch controllers are terrible for this though. We definitely need more appropriate controllers.

As for FPS, back in the late 90s we had a Quake server (multiple actually) at work and would have deathmatches after hours.

These days, the only FPS I play is TF2 on Steam.

Chris

I'm ready for COVID-19 now:

Played a bit of Doom Eternal today, feels a lot like the last one, and that's a good thing, so if you liked the last one, this one is definitely worth getting. There are changes in how the chainsaw and stunning of enemies works, making it more versatile, it feels.

Getting full 144 FPS on 1440p so far on the highest graphics setting, no dips in FPS that I noticed (though I stop looking at the counter during the fights, which is where its most likely to drop, but I don't notice any difference), running an i7-7700K and a Radeon VII.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 03-21-2020 at 01:40 AM.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I’ll be getting it this weekend, just for PS4 though. I’ve not ascended to the PC Master Race.

Site Supporter
    Installed it on my PC yesterday. They've ramped up the difficulty in this one a bit over Doom 2016. Less ammo laying around too. The changes make use of the chainsaw and glory kills a necessity.

Graphically the game looks pretty darn good, and the Vulkan API is very efficient so the game will run just fine on a lot of machines.

I've been playing eternal, Its definitely harder than 2016. It's real good tho, I'm having a good time with it. When I'm taped out my wife docks the switch and I watch her play animal crossing so we got a whole yin and yang thing going on over here.

Site Supporter
    Okay whoever designed these jumping/swinging/midair acceleration puzzle sequences should be drug out and shot.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Okay whoever designed these jumping/swinging/midair acceleration puzzle sequences should be drug out and shot.
    They're ok. Haven't had a problem with them, it just doesn't seem like the right fit for this game.

I like the tweaks to the combat system though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    They're ok. Haven't had a problem with them, it just doesn't seem like the right fit for this game.

I like the tweaks to the combat system though.
    I wasn't having a problem either until the level where you are jumping and swinging across the lake of fire with sinking sky islands and spinning fire chains of death. You time five or six jumps in a row just right then miss one and have to start over. I cussed a lot.

Plus I agree that the platforming stuff doesn't really belong in a Doom game. I also agree about the combat -- you have to keep moving.

That kind of platform stuff annoyed me about the new Duke Nukem game that came out a handful of years back.

User Tag List