Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactical Performance Center, Handgun Mastery class

Flights into Vegas can be pretty cheap. Just saying.

Doing some long term planning.

I'm going to go with the comments in this thread from @GJM and @taadski and others that this is a class I would benefit greatly from. I am currently a D shooter in USPSA (last two classifiers have been just above 40%, so I'm improving).

From a weather standpoint, I'm looking at the average temperatures in St George UT. Based on what I am seeing, the most pleasant time of year to take an outdoor class would seem to be Mid-March to Mid-May, and then again October to November.

Could anyone confirm or comment is that true? Would classes outside of those time periods pose a problem (high or low temperatures)?

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Torn between this and one of Ben Stoeger’s classes for this year. Anybody have a sense of which might be better for a newer shooter?

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    Torn between this and one of Ben Stoeger’s classes for this year. Anybody have a sense of which might be better for a newer shooter?
    I'm an obsolete C class USPSA shooter so I'll defer to others more qualified, I'm planning to go to TPC first, then Stoeger. TPC first just because it appears to be easier to schedule regarding time and logistics, and they "may" have a slightly higher capacity in their curriculum for less experienced shooters IMHO? That being said I wouldn't skip an opportunity with either (or Gabe)

Rich, your sense of ideal shooting weather is accurate. Sometimes February can be fine, but it was miserable this year. April/May or Oct/early Nov would be ideal.

Las Vegas is an inexpensive place to fly into AS long as you get into your rental car and immediately leave!

TPC would be way better for refining fundamentals, where my sense of Stoeger is that is place to put those refined fundamentals to work.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Well I’m going a little backwards. I signed up for the TPC competition super camp that’s in Sept. with the intention that this was going to be my one big class for the year given the travel and cost in general. However, recently ran across an opening for the Ben Stoeger advanced class that is next month here in DFW and decided to do that as well. Didn’t really want to pass this one up. Figured might as well dive in with both feet to the deep end at this point.
    Last edited by Dismas316; 03-13-2019 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    Well I’m going a little backwards. I signed up for the TPC competition super camp that’s in Sept. with the intention that this was going to be my one big class for the year given the travel and cost in general. However, recently ran across an opening for the Ben Stoeger advanced class that is next month here in DFW and decided to do that as well. Didn’t really want to pass this one up. Figured might as well dive in with both feet to the deep end at this point.
    I look forward to your AARs.

Now that I've cancelled out of Tac Con (sad face) due to work (over) commitments, I'm interested long term in other options. I have my Gabe class next month but other than monthly USPSA matches, and occasional local gun range trips, I don't have any training set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I look forward to your AARs.

Now that I've cancelled out of Tac Con (sad face) due to work (over) commitments, I'm interested long term in other options. I have my Gabe class next month but other than monthly USPSA matches, and occasional local gun range trips, I don't have any training set up.
    Well taking a class as from Gabe is definitely a highlight, he definitely on my list. But given my schedule I hope it’s not until next year. I would not be able to pass his up I don’t think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    Well taking a class as from Gabe is definitely a highlight, he definitely on my list. But given my schedule I hope it’s not until next year. I would not be able to pass his up I don’t think.
    I took Gabe's class in September and learned a ton. The signal to noise ratio is...very high.

I signed up for another go in April mainly because I felt like I would benefit greatly from listening to Gabe for another two days for what I missed the first time, and to see how much I might have been able to put into practice after the first class.

Whelp I brought up the concept of TPC and a class there in the "fall" with SWMBO tonight. I did not receive a "NO!" so I will continue to work on this.

Positives were St George (we have travelled in/through on our way to Hurricane UT and Zion National Park several times, so we are pretty familiar) plus Vegas! (she likes the concept of a few days post-class to "do" Vegas) as well as cheap flights.

So I am in with a chance.

User Tag List