Page 1 of 65 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: FBI solicitation progress?

FBI solicitation progress?

Just curious if anyone knows when FBI will make their selection? Also, thinking about the likely candidates. From the RFP regarding a protruding lip on the baseplate and an expanded magwell it doesn't sound like a current P320 meets criteria, although the Target version frame shown at Shot does offer those two new features.

Interested to see your thoughts.

This just started. It could go on a while. Don't expect anything until OCT time frame. Budgets will be out for the new FY. They might be awarded by then at the earliest. The Army MHS has gone on for years. Once beurucrats get envolved it could be months or even early spring next year before an award is announced.
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 03-14-2016 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    Just curious if anyone knows when FBI will make their selection? Also, thinking about the likely candidates. From the RFP regarding a protruding lip on the baseplate and an expanded magwell it doesn't sound like a current P320 meets criteria, although the Target version frame shown at Shot does offer those two new features.

The base pad on the target was being referred to as the FBI base pad at Shot Show. I would doubt that the Target grip was submitted for the FBI since there was only one size of that grip in January.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    This just started. It could go on a while. Don't expect anything until OCT time frame. Budgets will be out for the new FY. They might be awarded by then at the earliest. The Army MHS has gone on for years. Once beurucrats get envolved it could be months or even early spring next year before an award is announced.
    New fiscal year for the GOV starts Oct 1 but when was the last time. Congress had a budget passed on time ? Normally new FY means continuing resolution and mission critical spending only till and actual budget shows up in the winter or spring. Plus for large expenditures like purchasing thousands of handguns, you need to put that in your budget 2 to 3 years in advance.

FBI just recently received the samples - the time frame for testing is spelled out in the RFP - I think is was 90 days for the actual testing itself. I would guess another 90 to 180 days after that for an award depending on analysis of the results, protests etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    New fiscal year for the GOV starts Oct 1 but when was the last time. Congress had a budget passed on time ? Normally new FY means continuing resolution and mission critical spending only till and actual budget shows up in the winter or spring. Plus for large expenditures like purchasing thousands of handguns, you need to put that in your budget 2 to 3 years in advance.

FBI just recently received the samples - the time frame for testing is spelled out in the RFP - I think is was 90 days for the actual testing itself. I would guess another 90 to 180 days after that for an award depending on analysis of the results, protests etc.
    I completely agree. That's why I was saying spring "next year". The acquisition process for any federal agency is slow and cumbersome.

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post

what would you like to know? testing is ongoing now...

One of the agents at my local office, who I work with on a task force, got sent up to Quantico at the beginning of the year to work the range for an academy class for a little over the month. He tried to find out if there were any early favorites for the new pistol, but no one was talking.

Site Supporter
    I'm curious how the FBI came to a do testing and issue a solicitation.

I'd initially heard the FBI was happy with the Glock platform in general and intended to transition to the 9mm by simply switching to the Gen4 17 and 19 via modification of the existing contract. Exactly as Beretta proposed for the military with the M9A3. Apparently someone complained this was unfair?

It would make sense from a logistics standpoint, allowing use of existing holsters, mag pouches and training aids such as sims guns, red guns etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It would make sense from a logistics standpoint, allowing use of existing holsters, mag pouches and training aids such as sims guns, red guns etc.
    Which is one reason, no doubt, why that didn't happen; it makes sense.

Besides… why pass up a chance to spend another ton of someone else's money on a new toy?

In all seriousness, I'll wager large that this is being driven by some VERY high-ranking Bureau suit who has an agenda… OR, that same suit is smart enough to know that the competing manufacturers would cry foul if the Bureau just stayed with Glock with no "testing", and directed this monstrous process to silence any protests.

I don't trust the Bureau any farther than I can spit upwind. But I don't, not even for a minute, think they are stupid.

Or maybe they got tired of all the problems with Glock .40's and decided to conduct accurate testing using a repeatable valid test protocol in order to select the best possible handgun for their agents and all the other LE personnel who will buy off that contract...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List