Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: "West of the Mississippi" 2017 Foundational Pistol Class

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Rich,

You used the word "foundational". Perhaps you should define that word as what it means to you.
    Jlw - Thanks. Well, erm, I tried to outline what I was looking for in post #1 under 'Desired Course Objectives". I guess I could think how to expand that.

"Foundational" in my (limited) thinking is a course that takes a shooter who is safe, comfortable with the square range, and familiar with their equipment, and enhances that student by performing an assessment to correct weak points, coaching them with constructive criticism, exposing them to proven skills, objective metrics and appropriate suggestions for follow up drills to give them a solid foundation for further training.

Better?

Thanks for the thoughts, there are some good trainers out there, and I'm sure I'd get a lot out of about any course that has been mentioned so far. It's really a case of me (and my RV ) being in the right place at the right time.

PS Still like the hat.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-03-2016 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Jlw - Thanks. Well, erm, I tried to outline what I was looking for in post #1 under 'Desired Course Objectives". I guess I could think how to expand that.

"Foundational" in my (limited) thinking is a course that takes a shooter who is safe, comfortable with the square range, and familiar with their equipment, and enhances that student by performing an assessment to correct weak points, coaching them with constructive criticism, exposing them to proven skills, objective metrics and appropriate suggestions for follow up drills to give them a solid foundation for further training.

Better?

Thanks for the thoughts, there are some good trainers out there, and I'm sure I'd get a lot out of about any course that has been mentioned so far. It's really a case of me (and my RV ) being in the right place at the right time.

PS Still like the hat.
    Below are links to my reviews of each course.

Givens CP1 Review

Langdon TPS Review

Based on your description in the quoted post, Givens CP1 fits that bill, but you won't be throwing away your money, time, or ammo with either.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Wanted: "West of the Mississippi" 2017 Foundational Pistol Class

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Rich,

Keep an eye on the Operation Specific Training site. That's Bruce Gray's training company. His Practical Fundamentals class is a full immersion journey into the finer points of trigger control. It's not to be missed, if the timing/location works out for you. I did a review of one of his classes this past May here on PF if you'd like some more details. It doesn't look like he has next summer fleshed out in his class calendar yet, but I'd suspect he'll be adding some western classes during that time frame. I'd give them a call. He's based in Oregon.

https://opspectraining.com

Looks like the 2017 Practical Fundamentals schedule is posted.

https://grayguns.com/training/

I am not sure the 4 locations for the Fundamentals class will work for me, but from the description as well as the AARs here and elsewhere, Jerry Jones and Bruce Gray's class would be what I am looking for also.

I'll definitely keep this one in mind though.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-04-2017 at 12:50 PM.

The Practical Fundamentals is a wonderful class. I've taken it twice, I want to take it again, and highly recommend it. That said, based on your experience, I'd recommend a more generally focused class, like Tom Givens or Farnam run. Jerry and Bruce are terrific instructors that will happily work with a newbie like yourself, but I don't think the class is best suited for someone with your level of experience.

I don't know how they've changed the curriculum in the several years since I've taken the class. With Practical Fundamentals, they really, really, really wanted to teach isolated, nuanced trigger control skills and some mental game topics (not to be confused with Mindset). Unfortunately, they are kinda forced to broaden the scope of the class because students, like myself when I took it, weren't ready for it. This was the first formal, multi-day training class for many of us, so they had to spend the whole first day teaching us basic grip, stance, sight alignment, trigger control so everyone was on the same page before going on to the real meat.

Will you learn something from Practical Fundamentals? Absolutely. But I think it's a class better suited for a upper level novice through advanced student who already have a few good classes under their belt and a solid grasp of fundamentals.

If I had it to do over again, I'd make it my 3rd or 4th "real" (multi-day) class, not the first. I think they would tell you the same thing.

Cheers,
    David

What about Jeff Gonzales at Trident Concepts? Looks like he's based in Austin and has a class schedule listed through June. I've heard his name, but I don't know much about him or how his curriculum applies to CCWers.
    Last edited by David S.; 01-05-2017 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    The Practical Fundamentals is a wonderful class. ...
    Check.

If I can manage to get to Kalispell MT in July, Mr. Given's two day class is at the top of my list.

What about Jeff Gonzales at Trident Concepts? Looks like he's based in Austin and has a class schedule listed through June. I've heard his name, but I don't know much about him or how his curriculum applies to CCWers.
    I found a 2014 AAR here:

AAR: Trident Concepts Combative Pistol 2. Nov 7-9, Los Angeles, CA

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...7&share_type=t

Based on that, it might be a bit over my head at this point. Interesting he compares it to Mr. Gray's course.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Combative Pistol 2 is almost certainly over your head.

Another consideration, if it works for you, Larry Mudgett (between SLC and Provo) is running "Defensive Pistol" series of classes in June. I've heard Darryl Bolke mention his name a time or five.
    David S.

Combative Pistol 2 is almost certainly over your head.

Another consideration, if it works for you, Larry Mudgett (between SLC and Provo) is running "Defensive Pistol" series of classes in June. I've heard Darryl Bolke mention his name a time or five.
    I would really like to do a Larry Mudgett class, I am just not ready to go that far to do it when guys like Tom Givens come so close to me often. If I was out in that general area though, I would make it a point to do classes at Marksmanship Matters. I met a guy from that area in my Suarez Pistol Instructor class and he later went on to do all of the Larry Mudgett classes and just raves about him.

Found a one day Frank Proctor class SW of Ft Worth in April I'm looking at:

http://www.wayofthegun.us/1-day-perf...april-22-2017/

User Tag List