Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended serious use AR mags?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I preferred Lancer AWM to PMags. But the latest rev of the G3 PMag is very good.
    May I ask why? More durable? Metal feed lips?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Excellent point, Neph.
    As long as PMAGs are readily available, probably not much reason to add much variety.
    I guess in the back of my mind, PMAGs are a little more fragile than aluminum GI mags, but there may be little basis for that in reality.
    IIRC the Gen 3 PMAG was found to be much more durable than the standard aluminum USGI mag as per @Default.mp3 's post, but neither is indestructible. Historically when buying a lot of magazines at once I've always tended to get USGI mags, as the $3 savings vs equivalent polymer mag adds up when you're buying in substantial quantity.

Site Supporter
    Pmags and Brownells/D&H Aluminum with "magpul" style follower have worked well for me in classes and at the range. My default rec these days is PMag as they seem to be readily available and are never more than 20.00 per even in these times.
    I beta tested a set of steel Fusils in an 08 EAG class. They worked really well for me too.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Recommended serious use AR mags?

May I ask why? More durable? Metal feed lips?
    More reliable feeding when dirty. Easier insertion as well. The new PMags seem to have solved the 2nd round jam issue, but I
    still feel like they are ‘stickier’ on insertion.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yup. I’ve been aware of the 2nd round issue with PMags for a long time. This is why I use Lancer AWMs. I’m glad Magpul has finally (quietly) addressed it with an update.

Here’s a pic I posted a while back.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Excellent point, Neph.
    As long as PMAGs are readily available, probably not much reason to add much variety.
    I guess in the back of my mind, PMAGs are a little more fragile than aluminum GI mags, but there may be little basis for that in reality.
    Gen M3 PMags have proven more reliable and durable than aluminum GI mags in testing. Check out some of the short videos from Magpul’s YouTube channel about testing from 8 years ago. They M3 PMags are also now the issued magazine of the USMC after testing was conducted.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Recommended serious use AR mags?

I won’t use aluminum GI mags unless I’m desperate. They work fine until they don’t. So easy to bugger the feedlips, and not notice. These are basically disposable magazines.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

long-ass thread, probably outdated information, and eventually another junky thread got merged into it, but if you want to go down the rabbit hole of AR mags ten years ago...
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ines-a-journey

I still won't use anything but GI. But that opinion is probably irrelevant today.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Gen M3 PMags have proven more reliable and durable than aluminum GI mags in testing. Check out some of the short videos from Magpul’s YouTube channel about testing from 8 years ago. They M3 PMags are also now the issued magazine of the USMC after testing was conducted.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I still won't use anything but GI. But that opinion is probably irrelevant today.
    So is "the issued magazine of the USMC" now a GI mag?

The link I posted earlier will ship M3 mags with a #23 in the little circle indicating rev #, so it addresses the second round issue.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I recall the Brownells aluminum mags being highly regarded as well. Due to my state of residence, I’ve been limited as to what I had pre 2000 and what was available during those windows I could acquire or build new magazines so I run a fairly eclectic assortment. I have had zero issues with my Pmag 2nd Gen or any aluminum mags I’ve upgraded with green it magpul followers (even my Adventure Line). Heck, I’ve even had good luck with Canadian Thermolds I bought back in 1994 (I just don’t leave them loaded).

The Lancers look sexy and I like their hybrid material design. If I was starting from scratch they would be tempting but I’d probably just go with P Mags or Brownells, whichever was cheaper.

The only mags I’ve had issues with when new were aluminum magazines modified to hold only 10 rounds or factory 10 round shorties. While I’ve had a few used GI mags (crime Bill era gun show specials) - they have been few and far between.

You thinking more Colorado restrictions or Federal?
    Last edited by Suvorov; 03-23-2021 at 02:33 PM.

FWIW, a friend of mine said he saw issues with the Lancers not feeding due to rust on the steel feed lips, so that could be a potential concern for the L5AWMs (I believe the L7AWMs use stainless steel feed lips). I personally have both opaque Lancers and PMAGs M2 and M3, and prefer the Windowed M3s at this point; I've had the little tabs at the front/feed side of the Lancers break off, and while Lancer has told me they do not provide any real function and should have no impact on performance, I'm still a bit leery.

As an aside, some more info on translucent magazines. I have been told that the clear H&K rifle magazines are just polycarbonate, so quite tough under normal circumstances, but will degrade when exposed to solvents such as DEET. Same source told me that ETS uses ether sulfones, so are rather soft and have "grit problems" (which I assume to mean that grit will wear them down quickly), and Lancer uses polycarbonate with modifiers for their translucent mags that make them a softer than normal PC, but thus has better impact resistance, and also use a chemical resistant coating, which means that its resistance against solvents will eventually go away. Magpul tried to do a translucent magazine, too, but was unable to find a satisfactory mix for polycarb that met their expectations.

User Tag List