Page 25 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Resurrecting the Python?

Site Supporter
    Ironically, the Kimber revolver seems to be a better quality choice than the new python at this point

(runs/hides)

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    Oh, unless this thing turns out to be a total bomb -- which I doubt -- I'm definitely getting the 4.25" with the (heavily rumored and I think likely to happen because of Colt's significant uptick in Ion Bonded products) DLC finish. I'm just waiting out new hotness prices and beta testers.

I've been wanting to update my revolver group with a trio of different-sized, different-purposed current production ones and have hesitated to go S&W (have many pre-locks) for all the usual reasons; thought it'd be Kimber but the Python -- if it's quality enough -- is a game changer for me.
    My suspicion is what we're seeing are a lot of "fuck that, we gotta meet the shipping date" problems. Once they get past the initial batch and get to normally feeding guns into the supply pipeline, things may be better. Maybe.

I'm not familiar with DLC. If I get one, it will mostly be a range toy. I'm not going to tote around a $1,500 Colt when I have a couple of $250 Model 64s to fill that role.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter

Colt Does Have One Piece Solid Barrel

I re-examined the new Python and must correct my first comment. No shroud. One piece solid barrel. The deep recess protecting the crown fooled me. I thank those who corrected my post. Further scrutiny showed that the front sight is held in place by a set screw in the very front of the rib. That's good and might mean that different heights will become available. The rear sight appears very high even as it set in the lowest position. The sight blade rides in a trough. There is a screw whose function appears to be lateral adjustment as in seen in traditional sights. Oddly, on the top of the sight is a tiny set screw. If this set screw is part of the lateral adjustment mechanism, then I exclaim that the process will be clumsy and unnecessarily complicated. On this Python the sight represents a poor design. I could accept it on a cheap handgun but not on a $1500-1600 handgun. On the specimen examined the sight blade was slightly right of center. This position left too much empty trough space on the left side of the sight itself. It was an unattractive image.

Otherwise, fit and finish standard on the stainless Python was excellent. Sideplate had no gaps and was fit most closely all the way around its perimeter. The large firing pin bushing in the fire wall was pressed in and expertly crimped. I saw zero indication of MIM parts. I saw no polishing errors. I could detect no roughness in any moving part. There was no drag at any point in the trigger arc as I cycled the action.

I asked. My lgs will ship the Python. My cut is a Dr. Pepper.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Ironically, the Kimber revolver seems to be a better quality choice than the new python at this point
    Only if the new Pythons start having occurrences of firing pin breakage.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    . I'm not going to tote around a $1,500 Colt when I have a couple of $250 Model 64s to fill that role.
    Doesn’t the asshole you shoot deserve the very best?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Doesn’t the asshole you shoot deserve the very best?
    It's a big day for the guy you shoot. Ya gotta make it memorable.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    My suspicion is what we're seeing are a lot of "fuck that, we gotta meet the shipping date" problems. Once they get past the initial batch and get to normally feeding guns into the supply pipeline, things may be better. Maybe.

I'm not familiar with DLC. If I get one, it will mostly be a range toy. I'm not going to tote around a $1,500 Colt when I have a couple of $250 Model 64s to fill that role.
    Maybe this is just my ignorance of priorities, but wouldn’t shipping a properly QC’d product at a later date ultimately result in a lot more sales over the next 6 months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Only if the new Pythons start having occurrences of firing pin breakage.
    Didn't Kimber get these issues fixed? There may be new reports.

Even with perfect reports, there is still part of me that is Kimber leery.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I saw zero indication of MIM parts.
    They are there. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Many significant parts in the engines that power your typical airliner are made that way.......

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Maybe this is just my ignorance of priorities, but wouldn’t shipping a properly QC’d product at a later date ultimately result in a lot more sales over the next 6 months?
    You are correct, but a lot of people in business have never and will never learn that. At the same time, a properly run mfg process development project will not rely on the typical gun forum interpretation of "QC" (aka inspection and rework) to get products done right.

User Tag List