Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grail Gun: 686 CS-1

Congrats! I have always wanted one of those as well.

It looks to be in great shape as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The ones sold to the public were contract over-runs, sold by S&W.

All the Gov guns were destroyed or transferred to other agencies for training use as noted. I've never seen them used for Sims but I'm sure some were.
    There were overrun guns sold to the public, but there were also Customs guns sold to the public under some type of "exchange sale" program. Apparently Lew Horton bought a bunch of them before the Clinton administration put an end to it.

The CS-1's with the "2M" stamp, like the one I just bought, got that stamp at Glynco.
    Last edited by TC215; 01-01-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    There were 3" versions, 4" versions, and supposedly a few 6" guns for the pistol team.

They were built to tighter tolerances than the regular 686's, which caused some problems, and they all had to be gone through and fixed.
    They were problem children initially and locally referred to as "Chicken Shit 1's". They were eventually fixed from what I understand.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    They were problem children initially and locally referred to as "Chicken Shit 1's". They were eventually fixed from what I understand.
    Supposedly, they would get powder under the extractor star and lock up after 50-60 rounds.
    Last edited by TC215; 01-01-2017 at 11:26 PM.

Supposedly, they would get powder under the extractor star and lock up after 50-60 rounds.
    I didn't realize you already got it, congrats.

An early mentor of mine was issued one, and it had the problems you described. He and many of his co workers ditched the gun and went back to a 2.5" Ruger, which is a gun I have always coveted.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I didn't realize you already got it, congrats.
    I don't have it in hand yet, hopefully I'll have it this week. I'll post some more pics when I get it.

From what I've read, the guns were sent to Ft. Benning to get the extractor star problem fixed, but by that point the damage had been done and many considered them unreliable. Personally-owned weapons were allowed then, so that's what most people went with.
    Last edited by TC215; 01-01-2017 at 11:47 PM.

Site Supporter
    There were overrun guns sold to the public, but there were also Customs guns sold to the public under some type of "exchange sale" program. Apparently Lew Horton bought a bunch of them before the Clinton administration put an end to it.

The CS-1's with the "2M" stamp, like the one I just bought, got that stamp at Glynco.
    As a result of PD transitions from revolvers to autos and from 9mm autos to 40 autos there were large numbers of surplus LE guns on the market cheap in the 1990's. The 1994 assault weapons ban incentivized trading 9mm guns with pre ban mags for .40 guns with restricted mags. Some of these LE surplus guns then started showing up at crime scenes.

As a result, the Clinton administration issued an executive order mandating transfer to other government Agencies or destruction as the only means of disposing of surplus Fed LE firearms. It was subsequently codified into the Code of Federal regulations at CFR Title 41 §101-42.1102-10(5) (c).

There is currently a petition to modify this and allow retired fed LE to purchase their duty weapons.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/l...-their-weapons

My understanding is there were two recalls on the CS-1's resulting in the M stamp and then the 2 stamp, AFAIK all recall work was done at S&W and all guns were sold via S&W.

Mine has the same stamp.

Name:  IMG_1043.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  37.7 KB
    Last edited by HCM; 01-02-2017 at 12:07 AM.

Site Supporter
    I have two 4 inch CS-1 686s. I passed up the 3 inch models because I was young and dumb. I don't remember what was going on at S&W at the time quality wise but I had a model 17 that I bought to learn how to shoot a handgun well. That gun froze up and got sent back to the factory. The dealer told me the factory was swamped fixing 686s (hence the m stamp) and just gave me a new 17 that Les Baer did an action job for on.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    As a result, the Clinton administration issued an executive order mandating transfer to other government Agencies or destruction as the only means of disposing of surplus Fed LE firearms. It was subsequently codified into the Code of Federal regulations at CFR Title 41 §101-42.1102-10(5) (c).

There is currently a petition to modify this and allow retired fed LE to purchase their duty weapons.
    Which is why I wasn't allowed to purchase the Gov't Model Series 70 I had been issued when they decided we could no longer carry cocked and locked.
    I'm still pissed about that 20 plus years later.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Which is why I wasn't allowed to purchase the Gov't Model Series 70 I had been issued when they decided we could no longer carry cocked and locked.
    I'm still pissed about that 20 plus years later.
    Seizure gun ?

User Tag List