Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Any departments issuing/allowing flip up magnifiers on patrol rifles?

I started to delve a little deeper into the LPVO realm, changing from theorticial to applied.

The 1-4x offerings of the Burris MTAC, Vortex Crossfire, Vortex Viper PST (Gen 1) and Trijicon Accupower are the only LPVOs on our approved list, along with magnifiers no greater than 4x magnification.

Of those, the only logical choice to me was the Trijicon Accupower and I opted for the segmented circle. I will definitely need more time behind it, especially in varying light conditions, before I am comfortable with it residing on my patrol rifle.

Attachment 31965

I have the old Aimpoint 3x magnifier but it did not seem to be of much benefit for the added weight. I suspect putting the Accupower and T1 with 3x magnifier against each other on the clock will be telling.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SamueL View Post
    I started to delve a little deeper into the LPVO realm, changing from theorticial to applied.

The 1-4x offerings of the Burris MTAC, Vortex Crossfire, Vortex Viper PST (Gen 1) and Trijicon Accupower are the only LPVOs on our approved list, along with magnifiers no greater than 4x magnification.

Of those, the only logical choice to me was the Trijicon Accupower and I opted for the segmented circle. I will definitely need more time behind it, especially in varying light conditions, before I am comfortable with it residing on my patrol rifle.

Attachment 31965

I have the old Aimpoint 3x magnifier but it did not seem to be of much benefit for the added weight. I suspect putting the Accupower and T1 with 3x magnifier against each other on the clock will be telling.
    Do GA POST lint the magnification of Patrol rifle optics like TCOLE does in TX. Under TCOLE anything greater than 5x is considered a sniper / precision rifle and requires the corresponding training and qualification for duty use.

How have you found the brightness of the accupower ? I’ve heard reports it is not “daylight bright”

The Steiner PX4 seems Like it would be a viable 1-4 as would the NF though it’s a bit spendy.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Do GA POST lint the magnification of Patrol rifle optics like TCOLE does in TX. Under TCOLE anything greater than 5x is considered a sniper / precision rifle and requires the corresponding training and qualification for duty use.

How have you found the brightness of the accupower ? I’ve heard reports it is not “daylight bright”

The Steiner PX4 seems Like it would be a viable 1-4 as would the NF though it’s a bit spendy.
    I am unfamiliar if the state has a magnification limit. I believe that is up to the departments. @Aray may known better.

My department limits magnification up to 4x except for specialized positions. That 4x magnification is limited to the LPVOs I listed and magnifiers.

I have found that the Accupower is not daylight bright and washes out rather quickly. That is why I need more time behind it. I can see issues with being able to see the unilluminated reticle in my AO.

I was going to buy a Steiner PX4 but it did not make our approved list. I wish I had some involvement with the optic selection process but suspect that would have went something like this:

CO: "Based on the department-wide survey, we are looking to increase the list of approved optics. What do you guys recommend?"

BeanCounter: "I have a Vortex Crossfire on my plinker. It is saaaweet!!!"

Me: "For the money, I recommend the Steiner PX4. It is a true 1x and daylight bright, making it very similar to the Aimpoints the department is trained on and familiar with. It has a maximum magnification of 4x meeting our established policy while assisting officers in target identification and likely increasing their qualification scores. The Steiner PX4 is a rugged, bombproof low-powered variable optic well suited for patrol use and has the accolades to back it."

CO: "Steiner? Never heard of 'em."

BeanCounter: "Me either... but my Vortex Crossfire is really saaaaaaaweet!!"

CO: "Let's put the Crossfire on the list then!"

Site Supporter
    I am unfamiliar if the state has a magnification limit. I believe that is up to the departments. @Aray may known better.

My department limits magnification up to 4x except for specialized positions. That 4x magnification is limited to the LPVOs I listed and magnifiers.

I have found that the Accupower is not daylight bright and washes out rather quickly. That is why I need more time behind it. I can see issues with being able to see the unilluminated reticle in my AO.

I was going to buy a Steiner PX4 but it did not make our approved list. I wish I had some involvement with the optic selection process but suspect that would have went something like this:

CO: "Based on the department-wide survey, we are looking to increase the list of approved optics. What do you guys recommend?"

Me: "For the money, I recommend the Steiner PX4. It is a true 1x and daylight bright, making it very similar to the Aimpoints the department is trained on and familiar with. It has a maximum magnification of 4x meeting our established policy while assisting officers in target identification and likely increasing their qualification scores. The Steiner PX4 is a rugged, bombproof low-powered variable optic well suited for patrol use and has the accolades to back it."

You just need to say it right “Sch-tye-ner Opt-ich” mit Ze German accent, ya ?

Dogs and American morons find the German language strangely compelling.

Plus if you are buying it yourself what the hell do they care ?

I bought the green reticle 1-4 Accupower and it is definitely NOT daylight bright. I bought the red 1-8 and it definitely is daylight bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    I bought the green reticle 1-4 Accupower and it is definitely NOT daylight bright. I bought the red 1-8 and it definitely is daylight bright.

Interesting - I’m gueasing it’s the scope as green usually shows up better than red in daylight.

Any departments issuing/allowing flip up magnifiers on patrol rifles?

Interesting - I’m gueasing it’s the scope as green usually shows up better than red in daylight.
    Possible. The 1-8 is FFP, the 1-4 is SFP. It could be a simple matter of illuminating a smaller surface area in the FFP optic

Last edited by Sigfan26; 11-03-2018 at 11:58 PM.

My eyes are kinda shit, too. Could be I pick up Red better personally

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Possible. The 1-8 is FFP, the 1-4 is SFP. It could be a simple matter of illuminating a smaller surface area in the FFP optic

Co- worker has a VCOG in red and it seems daytime Bu right but it should for what it cost.

Co- worker has a VCOG in red and it seems daytime Bu right but it should for what it cost.
    The 1-8 was much less than a VCog

User Tag List