Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SP101 gunsmith recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Maybe Gary Reeder?
    He's a possibility as is Clements although I wonder if whatever problem Gemini has won't be encountered by other Smiths.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

John Gallagher, Jasper, Alabama is pretty sharp on Rugers. I don't know if he would care to do parts swapping as in OP, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Or he could fix up one gun to suit you. His www is no longer at all informative, I just don't know how people expect to do business off of Facebook. But it does have his phone and email.
    http://www.gallagherguns.com/Home_Page.php
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    I wonder what the problems are. I think it is an interesting idea but I would rather just have the .357 and shoot .38’s. A WC sp101 3” would be nice

Andy Horvath is another name that pops up but I think he's mostly a Blackhawk gunsmith.

As an aside, it would be cool to see Ruger's nascent "Custom Shop" evolve into something where you could mix and match parts to create something like this.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    As an aside, it would be cool to see Ruger's nascent "Custom Shop" evolve into something where you could mix and match parts to create something like this.
    [emoji106]

Indeed. A true custom shop.

This would be nifty in .327 too.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...20219/redirect

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I wonder if whatever problem Gemini has won't be encountered by other Smiths.
    Yeah, knowing how much experience Marc has with Rugers and SP-101s specifically, combined with the fact that he thinks it is a cool idea and still won't do it, would probably scare me off.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Yeah, knowing how much experience Marc has with Rugers and SP-101s specifically, combined with the fact that he thinks it is a cool idea and still won't do it, would probably scare me off.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Here's his reply when I asked for more info:

Excessive headspace issues, with cylinder chambers out of spec, causing bulging brass, difficult extraction of spent cartridges and erratic or unreliable ignition (due to all those previous factors) Some chambers allowed cartridge case heads to chamber too deeply to maintain headspace integrity.

Most of these were encountered in earlier 3” fixed rear sighted weapons and may well have been corrected by Ruger on newer models. They are a great company and I love their products. But it was significant enough to cause me to cease services on the .327 Fed Mag.

It is hard to build thousands of the SP101 in .357 mag over 20 years in business and never have any of these issues, and then experience problems on easily 30% of the SP101 in .327 Fed mag in such a short time frame.

I like the .327 cartridge just fine, but for my money I’ll stick with the .357 for many reasons.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    ...as is Clements...
    Clements isn't interested.

So far I've struck out with Bowen, Gemini and now Clements.

User Tag List