Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New Streamlight TLR-7

Hello, folks; I have actually had a TLR-7 mounted to a gen5G17 for several weeks. It has ~2000+ rounds through the weapon/WML system-no real issues. The system was supported by Safariland ALS duty and carry holsters. I’m no Mr. White, but do have a “Dark Pin” from his program as well as trips to GUNSITE, Rogers and Thunder Ranch.
    The light was utilized in one home alarm situation and performed well in searching. The “switchology” is acceptable; I’d prefer a grip switch a la Surefire, but one is not available as I understand now.
    500 lumens plenty for daily carry for this retired Deputy. Size is ver convenient. I truthfully did not note the “flicker” in use, and don’t consider it an issue.
    I’m a bit of a flashlight nerd, carry daily a Surefire hand held (currently “Tactician”) and this WML for the last two months. Before that, an Inforce APLc, which I found acceptable also.
    Bottom line, one has to train with lights also. One suggestion I have is to remove the slide, and work the light in your environments. And ALWAYS have a hand held; Clint Smith:”One is none, and two is one”.
    Hope this is of assistance

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Mine should be here Friday...
    Got it...

Very well made, at least just looking at it out of the box. I am kind of in the air with the switch... kind of like it, but took a little bit to figure out the strobe sequence. Strobe is like the TLR-1, but the switch seems to have a little play in it. If I want to turn it on, it works, but considering I thought the strobe unlock required to turn on/off, found you can outrun the switch. I do like the momentary/constant setup, as well as being able to either go in or forward to activate.

The lock screw isn’t finger tighten anymore, where the old one has the raised indents that gets it down pretty good. Just using my fingers on this allowed some play in the light. A nickel fits the slot perfectly (thank you Medtronic for having me carry a nickel around for the past four years to change batteries in my insulin pump... got me ready for the TLR-7 [emoji41]), in case you need to mess with it.

Like the lockout, but doubt I’ll ever use it. Rather the light just be on. Output is very nice, especially when compared to what I ran before this. The battery change is a good feature, especially that you don’t have to dismount the light. Probably good for those going with the TLR-8 (laser).

Some comparison pictures, with my 30S.

I compared the old light (TLR-3) to the new one... both pictures put the end of the frame at the 3” mark. This was my original reason for looking at the XC1, and why I picked this up (price and output put it above the Surefire).

And a few other angles, if anyone is interested.

Can’t wait to try this out a little better, as well as get another shell for my White Hat holster to fit it. I am very optimistic for it working out, but time really will be the deciding factor.

Also, mine came with two E-clips in the bag, but not one installed.

Might want to check that, if you buy one. [emoji6]

I bought a TLR-7 to try and received it recently. I was hoping I could make it work on a PX4 Compact, but it is definitely a no-go in its current form. It cannot be mounted to the rail of a PX4 Compact.

So, I put it on a Gen3 Glock 19 and tried it out. As others have said, I think the execution of the light itself is excellent. It's compact, low profile, provides an appreciable amount of light, uses a CR123 battery, and seems durable. Being able to change the battery from the front (without removing the light from the gun) is also good.

However, comma, I think the ergonomics of the switch are poor. I have large hands (size L and sometimes XL gloves, typically), and I was struggling to reach the switch with my thumb using a two-handed grip, and especially with my index finger using a one-handed grip. Also, the "nub" on the switch was hard for me to manipulate, so I wasn't able to activate the light in a consistent manner. In short, I felt like I was fighting the switch. It's not a light I will use or would recommend to others unless the switch is changed, and that's disappointing considering everything else about the light is great.
    Last edited by BJV; 03-10-2018 at 03:19 PM. Reason: The Power of Grayskull.

How close in size is the TLR-7 to the APL-C? In my first live fire playing with my APL-C it died. I'd like to switch to a CR123 light if possible to use the same holster I had made for the APL-C(if possible).

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    How close in size is the TLR-7 to the APL-C? In my first live fire playing with my APL-C it died. I'd like to switch to a CR123 light if possible to use the same holster I had made for the APL-C(if possible).
    That's very unlikely to work, more so the shapes being different enough may allow for flex that will kill the holster in the long run.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Unhappy with the light... but likely will be taken care of.

https://youtu.be/vlp9ayci9z0

Flickers on dropping the slide, as well as when dry-firing.

On AR15.com, a member contacted Streamlight. Said it is “anti-bounce software,” which powers the light off when a bounce is detected (for 4 milliseconds). Done to prevent the light from changing modes/shutting down.

The Streamlight representative said he is aware of the concern, and they are rolling out a software update around 3/22 to fix it (anti-bounce will still be there, just won’t flicker). The rep offered to bring the member’s lights back for the update.

I’m contacting Streamlight, sending that video link, and playing dumb. I will keep it in the back of my head for the interaction with C/S, but won’t expect anything shy of it being resolved. I spend $115 for the light, and $100+ on holsters for my Glock/TLR-7. Not going to keep a light that does that. Don’t get me wrong, it isn’t likely something that is going to be noticed when firing, but I don’t want it occurring.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    That's very unlikely to work, more so the shapes being different enough may allow for flex that will kill the holster in the long run.
    Darn.
    Thanks for the info.

Any updates to usage on these?? What appendix holsters have people tried with this light?

Quote Originally Posted by Birdkiller View Post
    Any updates to usage on these?? What appendix holsters have people tried with this light?
    Streamlight updated the software... sent me a new bulb assembly. New lights should be updated, so figure ones built after 3/30. Dry-fire flicker is gone... but flicker on releasing the slide is still there. Believe it is the actual feature, as the momentum is likely causing the battery to jump.

As far as holsters, ordered two Ares Tactical, and a new Kydex for my White Hat Holster. Still waiting on them... probably will be here around the end of the month.

User Tag List