Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: P220 w/ Internal Extractor

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Out of curiosity, what were you using for match guns and how were they set up? Which pistol, aftermarket parts, grips, magazines, sights, springs, etc. Any lessons learned? I don't find that the 226 limits me in any way at my current skill level but it's definitely less refined than the Shadow 2 in my safe.
    My primary pistol for both USPSA production and SSP for a bunch of years was a stock 226R with an alloy elite frame. I bought a stainless 226 elite a couple years ago, interested in what the heavier gun would offer. I went back and forth between the two a lot. The latter has a Gray action job that was done by the previous owner. The alloy pistol is a high round count gun with lots of mileage (40K+) on the action parts (and at least double that in dry fire), but no action job; just very well worn in.

I have Heinie fiber fronts and plain black (charger) rears on both. I use stippled stock grips (my own doing) and run 19 lb hammer springs. I use 11 lb Wolf recoil springs for use with my production load (130 PF) and I try and stay on top of regular replacement. Both are bone stock otherwise.

I made Master in production about a year and a half ago shooting the stock alloy gun. My initial plan was to treat myself with a more well accepted competition specific production gun (Tanfo, CZ, etc.) but I've stayed true to the classic Sigs. Mostly b/c they're what I carry for work, but also b/c they're just excessively familiar. And I'm a bit anal with regard to that I guess, for better or for worse.

What I did do, as a bit of a middle ground, was purchase an X5 Allround I came across. It has an action job from a pretty well known 1911 smith and it leaves me giggly every time I shoot it. The SA is on par quality-wise with a well tuned 1911 trigger. I've been shooting it in USPSA for the last half a season and plan to continue to do so. It's sick! But alas, I can't really do anything with it I couldn't do with the stock gun.

Hope that helps.

Dawson, not Heinie. (Although I do have several pairs of blk/blk Heinie sets and like them just fine too).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post

What I did do, as a bit of a middle ground, was purchase an X5 Allround I came across. It has an action job from a pretty well known 1911 smith and it leaves me giggly every time I shoot it. The SA is on par quality-wise with a well tuned 1911 trigger. I've been shooting it in USPSA for the last half a season and plan to continue to do so. It's sick! But alas, I can't really do anything with it I couldn't do with the stock gun.

Hope that helps.
    That last part is interesting to me. Not to cause too much thread drift but do you find the performance gains you get from the tuned SIG are minimal compared to the standard SIG?

Also, master class with a classic P-series? That's hella timmie! Nice work!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I guess my point was the nicer, more refined pistol doesn't necessarily correlate into being a better shooter. But I think it potentially does allow for one to be subtly less precise and not pay the piper quite as much for small errors, if that makes sense.

A really interesting question is which is a better one to learn on.

And, yeah, apologies to the op for the drift/lengthy answer. My bad.

t
    Last edited by taadski; 06-15-2017 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    My primary pistol for both USPSA production and SSP for a bunch of years was a stock 226R with an alloy elite frame. I bought a stainless 226 elite a couple years ago, interested in what the heavier gun would offer. I went back and forth between the two a lot. The latter has a Gray action job that was done by the previous owner. The alloy pistol is a high round count gun with lots of mileage (40K+) on the action parts (and at least double that in dry fire), but no action job; just very well worn in.

I have Heinie fiber fronts and plain black (charger) rears on both. I use stippled stock grips (my own doing) and run 19 lb hammer springs. I use 11 lb Wolf recoil springs for use with my production load (130 PF) and I try and stay on top of regular replacement. Both are bone stock otherwise.

I made Master in production about a year and a half ago shooting the stock alloy gun. My initial plan was to treat myself with a more well accepted competition specific production gun (Tanfo, CZ, etc.) but I've stayed true to the classic Sigs. Mostly b/c they're what I carry for work, but also b/c they're just excessively familiar. And I'm a bit anal with regard to that I guess, for better or for worse.

Hope that helps.
    I also apologize for continuing the thread drift...

What are your thoughts on the all-stainless P226 vs. the alloy version? I have owned both, albeit not at the same time, but my impression was that there was little difference in the shootability of the two. However, not having shot them in the same session, I can't say for sure, and there's a part of me that still lusts for an all-steel SIG for pure wantism if nothing else. Do you notice a significant (pun intended) difference between the two?

To drive this thread somewhat back on topic...

I'm looking at replacing the grips on this pistol because the grips that are on there now are original and are starting to show smoothing here and there. Unsure if I'm going to stick with the plastic grips or go G10, but either way it appears that the pistol needs to have the plastic mainspring seat instead of the old metal one. Is this a problem to replace? Possible to replace?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I'm looking at replacing the grips on this pistol because the grips that are on there now are original and are starting to show smoothing here and there. Unsure if I'm going to stick with the plastic grips or go G10, but either way it appears that the pistol needs to have the plastic mainspring seat instead of the old metal one. Is this a problem to replace? Possible to replace?
    From John Ralston regarding E2 grips on older P220's, in our "SIG Picture Thread"

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Pictures/page4
    Quote Originally Posted by linkscoach View Post
    John, I didn't realize I could do an E2 conversion on a non rail P220. I'm going to have to look into this.
    John Ralston wrote,
    You just need to order the kit, a hairpin style trigger bar spring and a new style mainspring.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    From John Ralston regarding E2 grips on older P220's, in our "SIG Picture Thread"

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Pictures/page4
    So I need two springs and a new mainspring seat in order for the new grips to fit? Seems too easy...

EDIT: I was right, that is too easy. The kit entails a new decocker and hammer strut as well.

Damn. Ok, well, I'll have to do this another time then as I've got other things I need to spend money on right now. Thanks for the tips though!
    Last edited by spinmove_; 06-16-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    To drive this thread somewhat back on topic...

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    If you have the older style metal mainspring seat that captures the mainspring, it's a good idea to use all three hands to keep from marring the frame as you remove it. Phone a friend and wear safety glasses.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There's a thread from about a year ago dealing specifically with aluminum vs steel classic Sigs.

Short version, as my pea brain retains it, is there are pluses and minuses in both shootability and durability.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List