Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Longterm project--M16A1 look-alike

Longterm project--M16A1 look-alike

I am low on funds for the foreseeable future, but I have finally decided on what I want in an AR. I can go for looks, as all my "practical niches" are covered already. This will not be a home defense gun (barring U.S. collapse scenarios or short term servere public disorder), it MIGHT see use in a 2-gun match ( but probably not) but most likely it will be a range toy and conversation piece. I might shoot varmints with it.

Criteria:

--$$ is definitely an object. I don't want to skimp on quality too much, but I'm not looking for a sub-MOA gun. I am more concerned about "feel." This rifle will mostly be shot at 30-50 yards.

-- it needs to end up looking 95-100% like my Dad's 1972 USN-issue M16A1, sans full-auto selector switch and 1st gen POS gigantic starlight scope. So triangular handguards, 20" pencil barrel, top handguard, etc.

--I would like to change any interior parts for improved performance over the originals, as long as I can keep the cosmetics correct. I want it to work with any available .223/5.56 ammo of all weights, so I'm thinking a 1in9, 1in8, or 1in7 twist. Anything that reduces weight would be great, if it doesn't boost cost or sacrifice durability.

I live in NC, so no Commie state problems.

All input is welcome, including trying to change my mind on the criteria a bit. This most likely will be my only semi-auto rifle for the foreseeable future. I am fine with buying parts piecemeal and assembling the rifle later.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

One last thing--I would like to free float the barrel if possible.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

When I was looking at parts a couple years ago there was one or more makes of good quality barrels in the original taper in both 1-12 and faster twists.

The Colt SP1s I had would shoot into a hair under an inch for the first 3 shots regularly, plenty good for 300 yard prairie dogs if you didnt get the barrel too hot. This was 55 gr PMC M193 type loads, they shot very well in my guns in the 80s when their machinery was new I believe. Better loads may shoot better in the skinny barrels.

There used to be some National match type free float setups available that used the factory handguards, but they may be out of production. Id check your gun and see how it shoots, it may not need to be free floated. The Colts I had shot pretty well without being free floated.

I for one wouldnt have any issue with a 1-12 barrel for fun shooting or small game and varmints. The 20" SP1 was also excellent for running rabbit shooting on jacks and bunnies in Az.
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-07-2019 at 09:02 PM.

My M16A1 build

Name:  69BD8BB3-147A-42C6-8A29-33830C4259F8.jpg
Views: 1662
Size:  55.8 KB

That was my 2018 build! I used Brownell’s retro furniture, their A1 upper and lower, an ALG trigger, a Geissele LPK, and their 1:12 20” A1 Barrel, I think Ballistic Advantage makes it for them. Handles great, way better than the M16A4 I had at Sand Hill in ‘06.
    Last edited by Moshjath; 01-07-2019 at 09:01 PM.

This was my plan until the garbage with the Commonwealth AG. Since it was just going to be a fun gun, not worth the headaches right now.

Nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by Moshjath View Post
    Name:  69BD8BB3-147A-42C6-8A29-33830C4259F8.jpg
Views: 1662
Size:  55.8 KB

That was my 2018 build! I used Brownell’s retro furniture, their A1 upper and lower, an ALG trigger, a Geissele LPK, and their 1:12 20” A1 Barrel, I think Ballistic Advantage makes it for them. Handles great, way better than the M16A4 I had at Sand Hill in ‘06.
    Nice job Moshjath!

If limited to the stock sights, and none of the stuff kids attach to their M16s and M4s these days, I actually prefer the A1 to the A2.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    If limited to the stock sights, and none of the stuff kids attach to their M16s and M4s these days, I actually prefer the A1 to the A2.
    I'm the same way. My wife is the opposite. She prefers the A2 handguards and balance. We both are old enough to have only qualified iron sights. She said if I was building an A1, then she wanted an A2 but slab-side. She hates the "forward assist." As a lefty, with the old "nose to the charging handle" Army position, the assist used to smack her in the face.

Oh well, another reason to hate the Commiewealth...

Don't spend the money on a Nodak Spud build, that's for damn sure.

With very little understanding on how guns work and what actually makes them accurate, the purposely make the specs tighter than they need to be. Notice I didn't say tighter tolerances....that's a different animal.

So, the result is that my 607-inspired NFA compliant-non-SBR gun has an upper receiver that is so tight it impinges on the top "rails" of the BCG up by where the gas key meets the carrier, and it won't reliably go home unless I use a red buffer spring.

I mean, it's a fun gun so whatever....but I found this out about Nodak Spud after having bought it in 2014, and would have preferred using parts from non-retards that do stupid bubba shit with their manufacturing.

Here it is, with a stupidly lightweight .575" barrel:

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Interesting. Is this mostly due to the handguard?
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List