Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: New York State Bans High Capacity Thanksgiving Dinners

Site Supporter
    We just ordered take out dinner from the local inn we used to frequent. Read an article about the risks of restaurants and they are substantial. Haven't been in one since a new Polish restaurant opened a few months ago. Went at an off rush time and the tables were well space but being in our 70's, just being cautious.

My local gym just closed shut and is laying off folks. Quite sad.

I ended up taking the southern I-80 route home yesterday instead of I-90. I was waiting to get pounced on by a NY trooper during my short Cuomostan segment.

The roads were full of college students on their way home.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I ended up taking the southern I-80 route home yesterday instead of I-90. I was waiting to get pounced on by a NY trooper during my short Cuomostan segment.

The roads were full of college students on their way home.

"Shake a leg. Cuomo's around here somewhere. I smell a rat!"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Let me answer this as carefully as I can...My agency is not enforcing the Thanksgiving restrictions. We're not about to go knocking on people's doors on the holiday to break up their gatherings. We're not encouraging the "inform on your neighbor" mindset. We're not going to allow ourselves to be used as tools of harassment. Every car we send to deal with 11 or 12 people at a Thanksgiving dinner represents the potential for delaying immediate, lifesaving emergency services. One or two minutes can mean the difference between life or death for a baby in need of CPR, or a person contemplating suicide.

People should take common-sense precautions and exercise due diligence.

Site Supporter
    I hope this isn't catching. Nevada governor just announced 10 person limit for Thanksgiving dinners.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I am the only supervisor working for my shift on Thanksgiving. Since I've been on this shift I, along with my wife, have provided a Thanksgiving dinner for the shift. I fully intended to do so this year.

Now roughly 10% of our officers and one of four sergeants are out on quarantine with either positive tests or quarantined due to exposure until tests come back. That's pretty consistent across the department as I understand it. Few got exposed at work except from other officers. Nurse spouses seem to be the highest risk factor, and cops and nurses seem to marry pretty regularly.

I sent out an email today that, with regret, I am cancelling our Thanksgiving dinner. Do not come to roll call. Report directly to beat.

And it sucks. I get that. The officers like it and I like to do it. My family likes to come and be present. But we have a responsibility to have the manpower available to effectively police the city and to back each other up. The odds of anyone dying are damn near zero, but the odds of someone going to are now-taxed hospitals are not. We're being warned that diversions to outlying hospitals are imminent. So that's why I made the decision I made. I'm not going to have an incident take down nearly half the shift and I'm not going to add to the burden at hospitals. And I still regret it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I am the only supervisor working for my shift on Thanksgiving. Since I've been on this shift I, along with my wife, have provided a Thanksgiving dinner for the shift. I fully intended to do so this year.

Now roughly 10% of our officers and one of four sergeants are out on quarantine with either positive tests or quarantined due to exposure until tests come back. That's pretty consistent across the department as I understand it. Few got exposed at work except from other officers. Nurse spouses seem to be the highest risk factor, and cops and nurses seem to marry pretty regularly.

I sent out an email today that, with regret, I am cancelling our Thanksgiving dinner. Do not come to roll call. Report directly to beat.

And it sucks. I get that. The officers like it and I like to do it. My family likes to come and be present. But we have a responsibility to have the manpower available to effectively police the city and to back each other up. The odds of anyone dying are damn near zero, but the odds of someone going to are now-taxed hospitals are not. We're being warned that diversions to outlying hospitals are imminent. So that's why I made the decision I made. I'm not going to have an incident take down nearly half the shift and I'm not going to add to the burden at hospitals. And I still regret it.
    It’s probably too late now, but. Would a “curbside pick-up” be feasible if you wanted to do it? Let the guys swing by the station in ones or twos to get a plate to go? With just a couple of people fixing plates with good ppe it doesn’t seem any more risky than guys who don’t bring food hitting up a restaurant or gas station.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    To go back in history, I am reading about the Revolutionary War and small pox.

1. Inoculation was possible.
    2. Some folks refused it as they thought it was interfering with the will of God, who will protect them from getting it.
    3. Troop units of small pox survivors were organized as the first into an area that the British left as it was thought that the British left infected materials to spread it to the Continentals.
    4. You could inoculated yourself with a fingernail of pus from a victim and get a mild case. It might make you infectious for a bit. This would mean you should go into quarantine for a month and lowered troop strength. Washington tried to forbid this but troops did this anyway.

Today - our local library is now shut. I love the library, DAMN! We may go red zone. That will shut everything except crucial places. It will close the LGS where my handguns are waiting for my permission (any day) to get them. DAMN. Without Covid I would have had them months ago.

The vaccines better work as that's the only way I see out of this. I wonder if I'll ever shoot again (wah, wah).

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    It’s probably too late now, but. Would a “curbside pick-up” be feasible if you wanted to do it? Let the guys swing by the station in ones or twos to get a plate to go? With just a couple of people fixing plates with good ppe it doesn’t seem any more risky than guys who don’t bring food hitting up a restaurant or gas station.
    I could probably overcome the logistical hurdles of doing so, but the point is more camaraderie of sharing the meal then the meal itself.. Even when you share it with *shudder* fucking firemen.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List