Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to Increase Trigger Reach on S&W 642

Need to Increase Trigger Reach on S&W 642

Do any of the Altamont or VZ grips add width to the grip (compared to the factory grip)?

I would like to keep the grips short, but it looks like the only thing that would work are grips that wrap around the back. Every offering from Altamont or VZ appear to be either short and don’t wrap, or longer and wrap. Is either wrap around style shorter than the other?

The other option I saw was trying the Taurus brand grip that is short, but also wraps around the back. It looks okay...but, meh.

Any other options or recommendations based on what you own?

Site Supporter
    I faced the same problem/question when I acquired a 642. Every solution I found made the gun bigger, harder to draw from a pocket, and harder to conceal. I had to give up on the thing as a carry gun, which was the whole reason for buying it. Sigh!

Dave

You probably won’t like this, but the Ergo Delta grip is the best thing that ever happened to my J frames.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    You probably won’t like this, but the Ergo Delta grip is the best thing that ever happened to my J frames.
    So, I really do like how my j-frame shoots with the flipper baby grips, but I eventually switched over to hogue tamers with the bottoms chopped down to make it flush with the frame. It works about as well for me as the ergo grips, and it looks wasaaaay less weird. Not sure if it will help much with trigger reach, but the Tamer grips do cover the backstrap.

I think it was @HCM who took a set of wrap arounds and cut them flush with the bottom of the grip.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I think it was @HCM who took a set of wrap arounds and cut them flush with the bottom of the grip.
    It think so. I got the idea here, and kudos to them for posting about it.

Are the wrap around VZ or Altamont much longer than the stock grips?

I do not plan to pocket carry; I just carry it AIWB when not wearing a belt.

Any comparisons available if you have two setup like this?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Nope, wasn't me, it's a good idea though. You're talking about the old Uncle Mike's wrap arounds.

Couldn't use that for work so went for LG 405s for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post

Ive got a set on a j frame. I pocket carry them. Not as good for concealment as the boot grips but it works. I usually have my hand covering it in my pocket when Im out in public anyway. Its a full three finger grip.

Name:  015E3D04-93A2-4DB4-96F3-D22708240B4B.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  78.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post

If i was going to AIWB Id get the full three finger grip. They got some options that should give pretty good grip purchase.
    Hers one on top of the other. Not much difference.

Name:  01A0EC9A-1418-45A1-8A6F-A4DBEE7E6896.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  78.2 KB

User Tag List