Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub interview

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    This is a tangent but I want to ask here because @Mas and @Dagga Boy are already involved in this thread. Also I haven’t finished the podcast yet so if this is covered there I apologize in advance.

Many people have commented about carrying a j frame in the pocket and another handgun AIWB. I definitely see the utility and versatility of this, in fact I do it myself on occasion and have for years. I can’t see this ever being a legal issue for a LEO or former LEO but what about us run of the mill civilians?

DB made a point during his presentation at Tac Con this year about how using a tactical looking shotgun in a home defense might get you a ride to the station faster than a plain old, basic bird gun. Provided you are in a state that allows concealed carry of multiple handguns does the versatility outweigh the negative image generated by a non-LEO carrying multiple handguns? I would think (although it is just an opinion unsupported by data) that this would be even more so if you were in a “gun free zone” even if the posting had no legal weight.

Am I just being paranoid or is this something to seriously consider in the current legal climate?
    Some of that is WAY out of context. My point at Tac-Con was the realities of dealing with law enforcement and perception in a risk adverse world. I used two of my students, fellow instructor, and dear friends. Husband is large, white, very full bearded male. Wife, new mommy and much smaller statured. Take the EXACT same force scenario in their home in Dallas and a 15 year old not the same skin color as them burglar is in their living room. Parent moves from their room to the babies room across a hall and sees teen felon with a object in his hand. Same scenario. They use the guns they just shot in my class. Male shoots a single round from the semi automatic, camouflaged Benelli Super 90 with an extended magazine tube. Same scenario...Female shoots a single round from her magazine blocked wood and blue steel 28” barreled gun she uses for bird hunting. Reality is this, when the police brass get to that scen the risk adverse decision will be the male takes the ride. May not stay, may not get booked, but will take the ride and may get booked simply to pass the buck to a grand jury to dismiss. Pure politics decision and risk alleviation for the brass. Now, posed with arresting a female new mother protecting her child with a gigantic 2 shot bird hunting gun....in Texas....a police executive would be commuting career political suicide perp walking her to the car.
    Is it right, moral and ethical....hell no. Do I condone it, hell no. Did I spend decades watching risk adverse police executives make decisions at shooting scenes. Yep.

My thing is always to seriously think through your articulation of your practices and gear selection and how that articulation would sound when applied to reasonable man standards and to a jury of the twelve people that the prosecution will want on a jury. This can also be regionally dependent. I have said often I tread VERY lightly in ban states and places hostile to gun owners and select gear appropriately.

Also, in regards to Tac Con, I use it as a place to test stuff in other folks arena. I shot the match this year with my travel snubs to give me a baseline comparison as to what I am giving up by actual numbers. The year before I went to the first shoot off with a Wilson CenTac that was being compared to a VP9 I shot the year before. This year I finished about the middle in a match that was not particularly neutral to the revolver. In all honesty, the reload stage dropped both Claude Werner and I A LOT in the rankings. Again, I have a very solid idea of what I am giving up to be legal.

I think I cover the why and how in the interview about why I carry a semi auto and a snub together.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 06-11-2019 at 08:32 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    @Dagga Boy I apologize for abbreviating your comments from Tac Con and using them out of context. If you want to edit that part out of my post so you aren’t misquoted I totally understand.

So the bottom line would be to know the jurisdiction you are in, something BBI’s post also touched, plan accordingly, and make sure there is a rational explanation (one that would make sense to the average juror) for all the equipment you carry.

Finished watching the podcast today - start to finish. Informative, funny and insightful. When it was over I found myself wishing there were another 3 1/2 hours. On some podcasts (not P&S) I have occasionally wanted to FF in order to get thru some "filler" material. Not here. I didn't want to miss a minute. Everything was spot on. Absolutely outstanding. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    @Dagga Boy I apologize for abbreviating your comments from Tac Con and using them out of context. If you want to edit that part out of my post so you aren’t misquoted I totally understand.

So the bottom line would be to know the jurisdiction you are in, something BBI’s post also touched, plan accordingly, and make sure there is a rational explanation (one that would make sense to the average juror) for all the equipment you carry.
    No issues. I am sure you got what I was talking about at Tac Con, but it was easily misinterpreted by people reading the post. Yes on your last sentence.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    I’m trying out Harry’s Holsters Icon as a more minimalist option.
    Thanks for this tip, I just ordered.

ETA: Already got shipping notice that it will leave today.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 06-12-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Revolvers kinda tuck themselves based on shape. Dark Star Gear and Phlster are the two tops. I’m trying out Harry’s Holsters Icon as a more minimalist option.
    @Hizzie

Please give us a review on the Icon when you have a chance. Interested how it compares to the the DSG. Thanks!
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

the IWB i sometimes use is soft suede leather, which offers less bulk than kydex/plastics, and is more conforming, not hard and so easier on the bod. the main concern for me is fast 'n' easy retrieval. returning to the holster ease is secondary. typically less than $15/shipped off the 'bay.

Name:  DSC05035.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  84.4 KB

Name:  rr.png
Views: 917
Size:  92.6 KB

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    the IWB i sometimes use is soft suede leather, which offers less bulk than kydex/plastics, and is more conforming, not hard and so easier on the bod. the main concern for me is fast 'n' easy retrieval. returning to the holster ease is secondary. typically less than $15/shipped off the 'bay.

Name:  DSC05035.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  84.4 KB

Name:  rr.png
Views: 917
Size:  92.6 KB
    Just think ahead of what you're going to do if you need to get the gun out of your hand quickly. It's more of a concern with LE, but does come up in other contexts where "shoot" turns to "no shoot" after the initial draw stroke but the problem isn't yet solved. A very real world example is guy with a knife throws the knife then begins circling for a take down. Absent some disparity of force issue or other forcible felony involved, deadly force is now off the table but you've still got a gun in your hand.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Just think ahead of what you're going to do if you need to get the gun out of your hand quickly. It's more of a concern with LE, but does come up in other contexts where "shoot" turns to "no shoot" after the initial draw stroke but the problem isn't yet solved. A very real world example is guy with a knife throws the knife then begins circling for a take down. Absent some disparity of force issue or other forcible felony involved, deadly force is now off the table but you've still got a gun in your hand.
    Yep. I have an old "Cobra" holster that is pretty much identical to the one in the image above. Haven't used it in a couple of decades.
    I still can't bring myself to get rid of it though. LOL!
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    yes, it's a matter of compromise as are most things in life. as not a LEO i'll take fast retrieval, daily carry comfort, and convenience over rare situational scenarios that strictly require re-holstering.

User Tag List