Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub interview

Site Supporter
    This is a tangent but I want to ask here because @Mas and @Dagga Boy are already involved in this thread. Also I haven’t finished the podcast yet so if this is covered there I apologize in advance.

Many people have commented about carrying a j frame in the pocket and another handgun AIWB. I definitely see the utility and versatility of this, in fact I do it myself on occasion and have for years. I can’t see this ever being a legal issue for a LEO or former LEO but what about us run of the mill civilians?

DB made a point during his presentation at Tac Con this year about how using a tactical looking shotgun in a home defense might get you a ride to the station faster than a plain old, basic bird gun. Provided you are in a state that allows concealed carry of multiple handguns does the versatility outweigh the negative image generated by a non-LEO carrying multiple handguns? I would think (although it is just an opinion unsupported by data) that this would be even more so if you were in a “gun free zone” even if the posting had no legal weight.

Am I just being paranoid or is this something to seriously consider in the current legal climate?

Excellent podcast. I am about an hour in, and it's good stuff.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Started watching the P&S modcast last night, then downloaded the podcast this AM for the drive to/from work. Still have a bit to go, but what a great episode. Inspired me to break out the old 638 for some light carry today. @Dagga Boy and @LGChris my as of late chronically aching back thanks you both.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    This is a tangent but I want to ask here because @Mas and @Dagga Boy are already involved in this thread. Also I haven’t finished the podcast yet so if this is covered there I apologize in advance.

Many people have commented about carrying a j frame in the pocket and another handgun AIWB. I definitely see the utility and versatility of this, in fact I do it myself on occasion and have for years. I can’t see this ever being a legal issue for a LEO or former LEO but what about us run of the mill civilians?
    I've not seen it be an issue, but among non-LEOs I've only dealt with store clerks having access to multiple guns on or around them. I also have a friendly prosecutor's office who has not pursued some cases they could have by the letter of the law citing best interests of justice.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Listened to it today while mowing and doing yard work. Great stuff! Thanks for doing it!
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Started watching the P&S modcast last night, then downloaded the podcast this AM for the drive to/from work. Still have a bit to go, but what a great episode. Inspired me to break out the old 638 for some light carry today. @Dagga Boy and @LGChris my as of late chronically aching back thanks you both.

I wish I had that 638. No lock, awesome gun.

What did you carry it in?

aside from the to-be-avoided full external hammer snubby, this leaves a choice of "saddle back" internal hammer or "hump back" covered external hammer.

i still think no external hammer of any kind is best, and the trimmed off "hump" allows it to be a bit more concealable. ymmv.

Name:  sw.png
Views: 730
Size:  81.8 KB

Site Supporter
    I know an anectdote isn’t data, but I have had the internal lock on my 642 engage during dry-fire once. It made me unhappy enough to take a dremel to the locking lug. I bought this gun when you couldn’t get a lockless version and my corrosive sweat ate through the clear coat on the aluminum frame in two days leaving it with little resale value.

On a side note, I wonder if the fact that Smith offers these guns without a lock would be a helpful fact in court if it was made an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I wish I had that 638. No lock, awesome gun.

What did you carry it in?
    Thanks. I bought it with the lasergrips from a friend about 8-9 years ago. I wasn't looking for a J-frame, but he wanted out of it and I couldn't pass on the price.

Funny you should ask about the holster, as I was just looking around for info on a better one. I've not carried it that much, outside of the house or in anything more than PT shorts, so I've had the same crappy Galco Stow-n-Go holster since I bought it. Works well enough I suppose, but I can see myself carrying the little J-frame more often given some reoccurring back issues, so I thought I'd pick up something more purpose-built for AIWB.

Suggestions welcomed. I typically carry a 19.5 or 43 AIWB in kydex. Both have wings for tuck, which is my preference.

Older pic of said Galco holster for reference.
    Last edited by StraitR; 06-11-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Revolvers kinda tuck themselves based on shape. Dark Star Gear and Phlster are the two tops. I’m trying out Harry’s Holsters Icon as a more minimalist option.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List