Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Coatings

Hopefully someone else will try a Glock slide first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    True, it can take a coating from 50ish on the Rockwell C scale to over 70 for a high phos EN. However, it also causes the coating to shrink, resulting in micro-cracks. We threw in the tungsten to up the hardness w/o having to resort to a high temp stage.

Nickel phosphorus and nickel born are essentially the same thing. Nickel boron is typically a little harder, but less corrosion resistant. We evaluated the boron stuff early on, and didn't think it did as well with PTFE either.

DLC is a whole 'nother story. Let's just say, I'm not a fan.
    Care to share why you're not a fan of W DLC?

Diamond like carbon is a wonderfully wear resistant finish. It is also a very thin, very brittle finish. It does not offer the best corrosion resistance. And most importantly to me, it practically all but prevents future work done to the gun.

However, if you plan on no further work, like the color, keep the gun in a non corrosive environment, and are horrified by holster wear (99% of the 1911 crowd is) - then this is a great finish.

Every coating is a compromise. Everythin is a compromise. Picking the right gun/coating/airplane/Le Mans car is all about picking the best compromise.

Bill,

Are there any issues with tolerances on bolts and bolt carrier groups? Would you coat just a bolt and cam pin? I have spare bolts and cam pins I'd like to get coated, just wondering about your feelings on this.

Thanks for any info sir.
    Last edited by Serpico1985; 01-11-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Sure.

On clearances, if you have something that is fit really tight, a thinner coating can be used easily. Our bath plates out at 0.00025" per hour. So, we can easily adjust the coating thickness.

But on MilSpec bolts and carriers, the clearances are very generous.

Bill - could you do a revolver? I've got a Colt Cobra that needs refinishing.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Bill - could you do a revolver? I've got a Colt Cobra that needs refinishing.
    If it's totally stripped, sure. I just don't want to spend a lot of time pulling apart guns for the price here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    Hopefully someone else will try a Glock slide first.
    I will be coating my G20 soon.

If it's totally stripped, sure. I just don't want to spend a lot of time pulling apart guns for the price here.
    Great, I'll stay tuned for when you get up and running on aluminum.

I will be coating my G20 soon.

User Tag List