Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good way to mount an AR scope LOWER?

Good way to mount an AR scope LOWER?

Is there a good way to mount a low power variable scope at approximately 1.25" to centerline on an AR? Or even very slightly less?

Most of the one piece mounts are 1.5" or higher, and I find that to be too tall for an optimal cheek weld, personally. It is even worse for my young daughter. She only gets a marginal jawline weld. I can see the utility if you are trying to go over the top of BUIS, have a giant 50mm objective lens, or have a relatively large/thick head/face. Using traditional rings seems like it would push the optic back to the rear quite a bit?

I'm thinking about a simple, lightweight BCM ELW-F upper with nothing else mounted on it. Just a lightweight LPV optic that's mounted lower to optimise cheek weld. And a sling.

Are there any good, lightweight options for doing this?

If you want a unimount, Nightforce has one at 1.125"; $252 at Primary Arms.

I wouldn’t go lower than Full Co-Witness. That’s a very versatile scope height that works standing, prone, and awkward positions too.

BTW, that BCM ELW fluted is my favorite upper.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Your desired height is kinda in no man's land. But, if traditional style rings work for scope positioning, some of the see through scope rings are your requested height.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/14...er-style-rings

These are a little lower.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...-extended-ring

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/14...le-rings-matte

These one piece mounts are lower than 1.5", but slightly over the 1.25" requested height. However, the ADM has extension for ease of scope positioning.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ral-30mm-rings

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/26...flat-top-matte

Perhaps another option to consider... LaRue Tactical makes a cheek riser that is spring loaded (moves back) so that it doesn't block the charging handle. I know it attaches to the CTR stock. Perhaps others as well. Raising the cheek combined with co-witness height may work for her as she grows into the standard weapon configuration.

ETA: since it doesn't block the charging handle, any height padding could be rigged on for a perfect fit.

ETA 2: Correction of an error, not Magpull - it's LaRue Tactical who makes it.

It's called the R.I.S.R. model LT748-BLK is the black one.
    Last edited by critter; 06-13-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

I just broke out the calipers and figured out that the SWFA mount I've been using is sitting 1.5925" from top of the rail to center of scope. That's higher than I thought.

My Troy fixed front sight sits at 1.375" (off the BCM KMR rail to the tip of the post as it came set up from the retailer). That is the better part of 1/4" right there.

The Niteforce Ultralight Unimount that texasaggie2005 linked above also comes in a 1.375" and 5.2oz. They also make a 'Unimount SR', which stands for service rifle, that is 1.35" to center and 5.2 oz. It has a more dramatic cantilever and was designed for being able to accomodate 'nose to charging handle' head position.

I had to call up customer service at Niteforece to find the weight, as I couldn't find it listed anywhere online. They had to request the information from engineering and call me back. In speaking about the issue with the Rep (who was EXTREMELY helpful and prompt, by the way), I found out that, many years ago, they used to do special runs of mounts for the Military that were specifically specced out to 1.265". He said he thought some of them went to the SEALs, or some such. Pretty interesting, and it really mirrors my ideas about what would be optimal height for a scope on an AR.

Does anybody know if there is a standard specification for the tip of the front sight over the plane of the flat top receiver? I'd be curious to know this.
    Last edited by frozentundra; 06-13-2018 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Perhaps another option to consider... LaRue Tactical makes a cheek riser that is spring loaded (moves back) so that it doesn't block the charging handle. I know it attaches to the CTR stock. Perhaps others as well. Raising the cheek combined with co-witness height may work for her as she grows into the standard weapon configuration.

ETA: since it doesn't block the charging handle, any height padding could be rigged on for a perfect fit.

ETA 2: Correction of an error, not Magpull - it's LaRue Tactical who makes it.

It's called the R.I.S.R. model LT748-BLK is the black one.
    This product's existence goes to show that quite a few people feel the same as I do about their cheek weld on the AR platform.

It just seems crazy to me to add all that weight when you could accomplish the exact same thing by simply making the mount a tiny bit lower (thus fractionally lighter). And without worrying about potentially mucking up the charging handle operation.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    ... Does anybody know if there is a standard specification for the tip of the front sight over the plane of the flat top receiver? I'd be curious to know this.
    1.41" above flattop, I believe.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    1.41" above flattop, I believe.
    The PLATFORM where the flat top AR front sight is mounted is supposed to be 1.98 inches above the top surface of the barrel. Where the tip of the front sight is will depend on what detent click it's set on in its channel.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    The PLATFORM where the flat top AR front sight is mounted is supposed to be 1.98 inches above the top surface of the barrel. Where the tip of the front sight is will depend on what detent click it's set on in its channel.
    Forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't the barrel's profile (HBAR, med-con, LW, etc) affect the 1.98"?

User Tag List