Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Issue Shooting Left

Quote Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
    as far as I can tell the muzzle isn’t moving left when I break the trigger. 
    Well something is off for lack of a better way of putting it. Either your sights are not aligned when the shot breaks or you are aimed left. How this is happening must be determined.

Can you describe your presentation? Since you are experiencing your problem "at speed" I'm thinking about how you are getting the gun on target and if you have any extra English on the gun at the end of the presentation that is causing your consistent left problem. You could be verifying your sight alignment before the gun is stopped.

Have you done any Natural Point of Aim dry fire drills? Focus on a point on the target. Begin your presentation. When you acquire a firing grip in the holster close your eyes and finish your presentation. Open your eyes and look where the gun is pointed. You can do a similar drill just by pointing in at the target and closing your eyes and counting to 10. Again open your eyes and see where you are pointing. Are you consistently drifting to the left on the target? You may need to adjust your stance in relation to the target.

Never used the hook and curl method. In fact, this is the first time I heard of the technique. I will try it. Do any of you folks use it? What kind of results have you had?
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    Never used the hook and curl method.
    What is that?

Watch the above video. It's explained about halfway through. My instructor taught me that when I pull the trigger my finger tip should be perpendicular to the trigger and I should execute the press by bending only my second joint. Still, my shots are going off to the side.

Randy

Site Supporter
    I suddenly began experiencing the same thing last spring. I'm a right handed shooter running a G22 and a G35.

Another instructor noticed that my support hand grip was inconsistent -- grip tension weakened if I was firing more than about 3 rounds. I had no idea I was doing that.

Once that problem was identified I went back to normal, which is reliably accurate and not very fast . . .

When it comes to shooting Glocks left, I have tried EVERYTHING to counteract. What I've come to as a solution for me is (a) sight offset (not radical, but noticeable) and focus on support hand grip. I've tried more finger, less finger, and fishhook finger (the latter worked best, but was so different from how I shoot any other platform that I almost never use it without conscious thought) - none were consistent. When I AGGRESSIVELY grip the pistol with my support hand, I shoot center with whatever random act of violence I inflict on my trigger.

This is becoming more and more apparent to me as I age and a combination of laziness and multiple old injuries to my support hand/wrist are making my support grip strength more and more "iffy." As little as 8 years ago, I was able to shoot a "Now" drill (draw, fire a full magazine, emergency reload, and fire an additional shot) at 7 yards into a ragged hole group about the size of a golf ball consistently in under 6 seconds. I can still make the time, but the group is much larger and more left than before; unless I consciously grip the snot out of the pistol with my support hand...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    When it comes to shooting Glocks left, I have tried EVERYTHING to counteract. What I've come to as a solution for me is (a) sight offset (not radical, but noticeable) and focus on support hand grip. I've tried more finger, less finger, and fishhook finger (the latter worked best, but was so different from how I shoot any other platform that I almost never use it without conscious thought) - none were consistent. When I AGGRESSIVELY grip the pistol with my support hand, I shoot center with whatever random act of violence I inflict on my trigger.

This is becoming more and more apparent to me as I age and a combination of laziness and multiple old injuries to my support hand/wrist are making my support grip strength more and more "iffy." As little as 8 years ago, I was able to shoot a "Now" drill (draw, fire a full magazine, emergency reload, and fire an additional shot) at 7 yards into a ragged hole group about the size of a golf ball consistently in under 6 seconds. I can still make the time, but the group is much larger and more left than before; unless I consciously grip the snot out of the pistol with my support hand...
    Pretty much this. Glocks tend to be unforgiving of grip deficiencies due to a weird combo of ergos and it’s light weight. If your hands start slipping, it gets even worse.

Get your support hand planted firmly on there and keep the pressure on as if you were trying to stop someone/something from bleeding. If necessary, find a way to increase grip friction. I find this part is especially relevant to me as I have naturally soft skin and working an IT desk job only helps keep it that way, so I can try to clamp down as hard as I want, if it’s the least bit slick from literally anything that isn’t dry, my support hand position is moving significantly during a Bill Drill.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Something that was an epiphany for me after training with John McPhee was that some pistols, of which Glocks are the chief offenders, simply sit slightly torqued to the left in most people's hands (if you're a right-handed shooter). There's an AAR from one of John's classes that discusses the "pistol index" here.

Shifting my grip a little, and then using my support hand to correct the index when my dominant hand started to slip after multiple rounds, largely fixed the issue for me.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Something that was an epiphany for me after training with John McPhee was that some pistols, of which Glocks are the chief offenders, simply sit slightly torqued to the left in most people's hands (if you're a right-handed shooter). There's an AAR from one of John's classes that discusses the "pistol index" here.

Shifting my grip a little, and then using my support hand to correct the index when my dominant hand started to slip after multiple rounds, largely fixed the issue for me.
    Not sure that’d work out well for me. Short fingers and cross-dominance means that I’d be turning my head quite a bit and using WAY less finger than I do now. Or closing my dominant eye and shooting that way.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I also shoot a little left when shooting my Glock Gen4.
    CHECK THIS OUT !
    I bought a new Glock Gen5 and when I ran the first 150 rounds through it I shot it to the right.
    I found that odd and thought it might be caused by the absence of the finger grooves.
    When I got home I examined it very closely and not only did I find the front sight was ever so slightly twisted to the right I found the rear sight also drifted to the right. I called Glock and they told me to get a pair of pliers and twist the front sight straight and that they are shipping out the new guns with the rear sight to the right to compensate for most people that are shooting it to the left. I can't believe he said that, Crazy !
    Gun going back to Glock tomorrow.
    Last edited by TopShot; 06-13-2018 at 06:38 PM.

User Tag List